• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trouble raising my voice

Soleil

I don't know if this is an autism-related thing, or something else entirely, but I have a hard time raising my voice for anything. The only times I do are when I'm startled or upset (or if a cat starts digging their claws into my pants). Sometimes I can raise my voice if I'm listening to loud music, but not always. But in general, I feel like there's a sort of mental block keeping me from raising my voice.

I also have trouble breaking the silence, even if I'm alone. Like right now, I'm alone, but I don't think I'll be able to say anything unless someone calls me. When I was little and I had a bad dream or something, it would take quite a few tries to get an actual voice out to call my mom.

Is this something I should mention at my upcoming psych evaluation? Or maybe just my regular therapist?

I suppose you could try an acting class. Or singing lessons. Both teach you how to project your voice without stressing your voice in a safe environment. You get to be loud when the part allows for it and receive approval for it. From there you can transfer it to daily life as needed.

You might mention it to your therapist. I don't think it warrants mentioning in a psych eval. Being quiet isn't a psychiatric issue.

BTW, I keep forgetting to mention how much I like your avatar. The 2003 version of Kino's Journey is one of my all-time favorite anime. Kino is an incredible character.

Oh I wish I had your problem! I am the opposite, my voice gets very loud when animated or upset, but I have a sneeking suspicion that even in general conversation, my voice is shouting and it MORTIFIES me, because ever since a child, I always wanted to be ladylike, but one can't if they are loud.

I am very, very quiet in the company of people, if I do not feel comfortable, to the extent, they forget I am there and it is like a stopper in my mouth, so I cannot even speak if I want to.

If it bothers you, then of course, mention it, if you think it is psychological.

I don't know if this is an autism-related thing, or something else entirely, but I have a hard time raising my voice for anything. The only times I do are when I'm startled or upset (or if a cat starts digging their claws into my pants). Sometimes I can raise my voice if I'm listening to loud music, but not always. But in general, I feel like there's a sort of mental block keeping me from raising my voice.

I also have trouble breaking the silence, even if I'm alone. Like right now, I'm alone, but I don't think I'll be able to say anything unless someone calls me. When I was little and I had a bad dream or something, it would take quite a few tries to get an actual voice out to call my mom.

Is this something I should mention at my upcoming psych evaluation? Or maybe just my regular therapist?
Think of a time when you did it what motivates you,I'm motivated by not being attacked and offshoot the cat not being injured or injuring (slightly unhinged inward scream) something cats do not listen.

New Threads

Top Bottom