• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trouble going to bed on time

Soleil

One of the reasons for my poor sleeping habits is that I have trouble going to sleep on time. I don't know why, but I have difficulty getting off the computer and into the bathroom to brush my teeth, etc. And once I do get in there, and I prep my brush, I end up spacing out and getting wrapped up in thoughts instead of actually brushing my teeth.

I think part of the problem is just the ordeal... turn off the computer, brush my teeth, mouthwash, wash my face, make sure my clothes are out, make sure all my stuff (keys, wallet, etc) are where they should be...

So I think something like a sleep timer that shuts off my computer at the right time might be useful in sort of forcing me into bedtime mode, but I don't have one... I'm always afraid of downloading apps because of viruses or spyware. Anyone have something they use for this? Or for getting ready for bed in general?

Could you do all the tasks earlier, then have a half hour more on the computer? Then wind down with a pleasant meditation recording... I tend to do all the teeth brushing etc then sit in bed with my tablet.

Exercise really helps me to go to sleep early. The more I'm outside doing things, the earlier I fall asleep. Having a large yard and gardens help with this. I'm not sure of your situation, but maybe try and get some fresh air more often. It surely can't hurt.

You can always set up an alarm on your phone and stick to it. That way you won't need an app.

I also used to have the same problem when I was younger, playing MMORPGs. I'm older now and gave those up. I rarely make it past 8:30PM now.

Good luck.

I have a huge problem with this. I've worked the night shift most of my adult life and sleeping during the daytime has never been a problem.

The problem is when I get home, instead of going to bed (like I have many years in the past) I sit at my desk and use my computer for gaming, YouTube whatever. I almost always get to bed at least 2 hrs late which really eats into my day.

This is a habit I have not been able to break. No matter how annoyed I am by it or how angry I get with myself daily.

I have found a good class on neuroscience really helped. There are feedback loops where your brain and body are volleying back and forth. You have to stop it. One was I do it if I am on too long is just shut the computer lid super fast. BAM. Then the brain automatically reacts. Wait 60 seconds, stand up, star at the wall if you must. But by then, your synapses are firing differently. It may not work. This is just a suggestion. I would love to know others' suggestions.

So I think something like a sleep timer that shuts off my computer at the right time might be useful in sort of forcing me into bedtime mode, but I don't have one... I'm always afraid of downloading apps because of viruses or spyware. Anyone have something they use for this? Or for getting ready for bed in general?

You might check to see if your router has internal settings that can "schedule" when your wireless is broadcasting. Where you can control the exact hours (continuous or not) that you have wireless.

The better routers these days usually have such a function. And if you should need to use your computer when your wireless capability is temporarily unavailable, you can always hook up an Ethernet connection so you regain instant access to the Internet that operates independently of any wireless scheduling.

In this day and age, no Internet access=no computer or streaming media. ;)

Last edited:
I had to register here just to answer this post! :D It's possible to have a daily and scheduled automatic shutdown on the computer without an application, because Windows offers its own Task Scheduler! It might seem a bit intimidating at first but there are very good step-by-step instructions online. For example: https://windowsloop.com/schedule-shutdown-windows/#schedule
I can also type the steps out if also visiting websites is a no-no. :)

I don't know about other operating systems though, Google is your friend here.

Oh, and I've so struggled with the stopping stuff to go to sleep thing. I got my rhythm back on track by forcing myself to wake up early, so I've spent most of the year in sleep deprivation but at least I'm now so sleepy in the evenings that I can't stay awake anymore. Also I always just watch my special interest TV show in the evening so I can be passive and become drowsy, typing or surfing the web/news is far too stimulating. I'm sure you'll figure it out at some point, it's a bit different for everyone and it takes time! And now, good night y'all-

I'm seeing some good suggestions, and I'd love to respond to them, but... I'm already late for bed...

Could you do all the tasks earlier, then have a half hour more on the computer? Then wind down with a pleasant meditation recording... I tend to do all the teeth brushing etc then sit in bed with my tablet.
That's something I've been thinking of, too, and it may be my best option. But it will require a little discipline, and a change in my routine to associate "bedtime" with an earlier time.

You can always set up an alarm on your phone and stick to it. That way you won't need an app.
Hmm... Maybe an alarm will break my concentration and make it easier to get in the mindset for bed...

I have a huge problem with this. I've worked the night shift most of my adult life and sleeping during the daytime has never been a problem.
I work the graveyard shift myself, and going to bed when it's still light out, while my friends and family are still up, is one of the things that makes it hard to go to bed.

You might check to see if your router has internal settings that can "schedule" when your wireless is broadcasting. Where you can control the exact hours (continuous or not) that you have wireless.
I'll have to make sure I only switch off my computer, and not the whole household.

I had to register here just to answer this post! :D It's possible to have a daily and scheduled automatic shutdown on the computer without an application, because Windows offers its own Task Scheduler!
Welcome, and thanks for the advice! That's an interesting function that I didn't know existed... I'll have to look into this.

I work the graveyard shift myself, and going to bed when it's still light out, while my friends and family are still up, is one of the things that makes it hard to go to bed.

That shift is difficult if you're not a natural night owl. And also if you don't live alone. Even still I have blackout curtains and a white noise machine. But I don't know why I end up staying up 2 or 3 hours past when I should get to bed. I didn't have that problem in the past.

New Threads

Top Bottom