• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trouble getting group therapy or social skills therapy

Jleger91

Photo of me with my sister at my brothers wedding
I'm afraid to socially engage with people and I don't even like to look at people. I have three issues preventing me from seeing the social skills therapist that is some miles away. 1. Transportation - I don't have a drivers license and don't feel comfortable asking others for a ride, and I could take a bus but that's issue #2. Time - I go to school now, and my classes are online, at home. I take time valuable, and the bus to the far away social skills person is many, many hours. #3. Money - This person is not in my insurance and the weekly session fee is $40. This gets pricey after a while.

Money - This person is not in my insurance and the weekly session fee is $40. This gets pricey after a while.

The only way I can see to do this, is to get this particular social skills therapist recognized by your insurance company. I don't know the process for this. But think you should ask your insurance company Jlger.

As for the other difficulties, transportation and time, once the insurance company allows and pays for you to attend these sessions (if possible). Then you can avail yourself of this therapy, when you have more time. When your courses are over for example.

When traveling and alone wear headphones, play the music you like and try to drown out all the other people.

Lucky I am covered for therapy although the place I go to is state run and not so greatly "never had time issue" although my therapist "and psychologist who I like" is seeing me next week not next month.

Consider seeing this therapist less times per month etc. and also look for another one is all you can really do unless you can change jobs and get an insurance that will cover you. It is also possible that your therapist doesn't really take any insurance! Something to be aware of. . .

Oh, there is therapy online available as well. I don't know anything reputable (offhand), but they definitely exist. You can also ask your current therapist/their office if online is an option because of your situation.

New Threads

Top Bottom