• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trouble following directions in FPS games

GoofKing

All your bases are belong to us
Does anyone else have to think where to go to next in first person shooters or have trouble engaging the enemy because you're right in the open and end up dying easily ? In these FPS games, it takes me one or more tries to complete a level because I don't know where to go to next, I don't listen to my teammates and I end up engaging the enemy in the open where I die. I do take cover but I end up taking cover in the wide open and still end up dead.

Is it just me or is this an Aspie trait of not following directions in games like these and being confused ?

I don't process spoken instructions easily. That's goes for driving directions or game instructions.

I just use the force[emoji16]

Does anyone else have to think where to go to next in first person shooters or have trouble engaging the enemy because you're right in the open and end up dying easily ? In these FPS games, it takes me one or more tries to complete a level because I don't know where to go to next, I don't listen to my teammates and I end up engaging the enemy in the open where I die. I do take cover but I end up taking cover in the wide open and still end up dead.

Is it just me or is this an Aspie trait of not following directions in games like these and being confused ?

What game(s) exactly?
*nowwhat asks wifey to hold his beer*

I don't process spoken instructions easily. That's goes for driving directions or game instructions.

And I too, do poorly with spoken instructions. Written, and diagrams are better for me. Pisses of the engineers at work, who supervise me. They just love to give you fresh-out-of-their-butt verbal descriptions of technical parts and operations. Go figure.

Last edited:
im very slow at games,including FPS and i lose my way around them frequently and cant do tactical FPS-to many things to process i really suck at information processing because of my mild intellectual disability and my significantly significant autism which affects my processing of language,the last FPS i played was my favourite one,an open source FPS called assault cube which uses the cube graphics engine,i can recommend it,its how FPSs used to be,none of that tactical business.

It might be FPS might not be your type of games. There people who are really into FPS games understand the fundamentals of these games . They know how to navigate around even not worrying about the instructions as they can get the idea what happens next.

The early FPS games from the 90s like Doom 1 & 2 and Wolfenstein 3D are easier FPS games as they don't have any advanced elements compare to modern FPS games. For me, these type of games interest me. The modern FPS games don't interest me. I know some other people I know feel the same as me on this.

I hate console based first person shooters, would much rather play the PC version with keyboard and mouse controls, and more crucially, God mode cheats :D

My dislike of console FPS games makes me unusual for an Xbox fan, must of us Xbox fans are big fans of either Halo or Call of Duty, I think both franchises are massively overrated.

The force ? :p It sounds to me like you play the game with your eyes closed and can somehow beat it Lol

im very slow at games,including FPS and i lose my way around them frequently and cant do tactical FPS-to many things to process i really suck at information processing because of my mild intellectual disability and my significantly significant autism which affects my processing of language,the last FPS i played was my favourite one,an open source FPS called assault cube which uses the cube graphics engine,i can recommend it,its how FPSs used to be,none of that tactical business.

Is assault cube friendly for computers with low-end intel HD graphic cards ? I can quite agree with you about the tactical aspect of FPS.I hate them too, this is why I prefer the older FPS like doom and serious Sam. Serious Sam was seriously fun :p

I think I'm too busy worrying about aiming accuracy and miss ques and instructions. Also, I think I might need some time to get used to them.

It might be FPS might not be your type of games. There people who are really into FPS games understand the fundamentals of these games . They know how to navigate around even not worrying about the instructions as they can get the idea what happens next.

The early FPS games from the 90s like Doom 1 & 2 and Wolfenstein 3D are easier FPS games as they don't have any advanced elements compare to modern FPS games. For me, these type of games interest me. The modern FPS games don't interest me. I know some other people I know feel the same as me on this.

I don't think FPS games aren't right for me neither and I only play a couple out of love for my dad and brother. I told them that I had trouble with these type of games but since I got gears of war and battlefield, I might as well make the best out of them. It's honestly not so bad after a first play through but I end up looking like a bumbling fool the first time I play a FPS game.

I hate console based first person shooters, would much rather play the PC version with keyboard and mouse controls, and more crucially, God mode cheats :D

My dislike of console FPS games makes me unusual for an Xbox fan, must of us Xbox fans are big fans of either Halo or Call of Duty, I think both franchises are massively overrated.

I think they're overrated as well. Much like that stupid console over graphics bull crap. Doom with god mode is so much fun :D The only console FPS I really liked was serious Sam for the Nintendo GameCube. No tactical warfare bull crap or stupid ducking and covering, it was a lot like doom and wolfenstein. All you had to do was blast your way through hordes of monsters. That was what made the game so much fun and enjoyable. It was also the very first FPS game I have even beaten,

I don't do well with written instructions, but I'm pretty good at FPS'. I think it may come down to how long you've been playing them, and how much. I found that when I first started playing them a few years ago, I was terrible. Since I've played more and more, I've gotten better. Still not as good as my husband (also on the spectrum) who has been playing them since he was a kid, and is now s**t hot.

I can't play tactical video games for sh*t. I die so fast, get really lost in maps, don't know how to complete objectives, etc. It's frustrating, but I keep trying...

My favorite games involve puzzles (Tetris is a cornerstone of my game collection), RPG's (that don't have too much going on), simulators, and silly games like Mario and Sonic. There are a couple of really good TPS games I love, but I still have trouble remembering the controls.

GoofKing
Is assault cube friendly for computers with low-end intel HD graphic cards ? I can quite agree with you about the tactical aspect of FPS.I hate them too, this is why I prefer the older FPS like doom and serious Sam. Serious Sam was seriously fun :p

I think I'm too busy worrying about aiming accuracy and miss ques and instructions. Also, I think I might need some time to get used to them.
assault cube is very adaptable to any graphics card,ive got it running on an absolute crap laptop very well as well as a 2 yr old laptop,i honestly recommend stopping what your doing right now and downloading assault cube, you dont need to be so bothered with aiming accuracy in assault cube as the bots are quite crap; especially if you play it at an easy level like i do.

i dont know if itst still going but theres also quake arena to if you like the quake III engine,its a classic FPS no tactical thinking needed just shoot and run. :D
doom was amazing,i loved it to-do you know you can get a lot of enhanced versions of doom for your pc/laptop?
one of the versions ive downloaded before was PRboom: PrBoom - Project Homepage well worth a try,im not sure if it works on the likes of windows 8/10 though,i think i used it on 7.

one of the versions ive downloaded before was PRboom: PrBoom - Project Homepage well worth a try,im not sure if it works on the likes of windows 8/10 though,i think i used it on 7.
I did found Chocolate Doom Chocolate Doom which allows you to run the original Doom with a modern version of Windows. However, this download does not include the levels. If a person haves the original Doom CD, they can copy the levels in the folder for Chocolate Doom. I did gave this a test and this does really work.

The force ? :p It sounds to me like you play the game with your eyes closed and can somehow beat it Lol

I don't think FPS games aren't right for me neither and I only play a couple out of love for my dad and brother. I told them that I had trouble with these type of games but since I got gears of war and battlefield, I might as well make the best out of them. It's honestly not so bad after a first play through but I end up looking like a bumbling fool the first time I play a FPS game.

I think they're overrated as well. Much like that stupid console over graphics bull crap. Doom with god mode is so much fun :D The only console FPS I really liked was serious Sam for the Nintendo GameCube. No tactical warfare bull crap or stupid ducking and covering, it was a lot like doom and wolfenstein. All you had to do was blast your way through hordes of monsters. That was what made the game so much fun and enjoyable. It was also the very first FPS game I have even beaten,

I had the PC versions of the first 2 Serious Sam games, because at the time they were the only "modern" games that would run on my PC, they weren't bad.

In reality though I prefer Puzzle games (I would literally pay almost anything for an Xbox version of Lemmings for instance).

"let go your concious self and act on instinct"

I just Wade in and figure it out as I go. Fps for me is about switching off and losing myself in the game.

New Threads

Top Bottom