• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Trigger Warning!*: Information on Restraint & Seclusion

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
I’ve seen and read Aspies & Autistic people talk about the traumatic experience of being restrained and/or put into seclusion rooms while they were at school. I did not have a fun time at school, but I was never restrained or locked in a seclusion room when I acted up; however I do know that it does in fact happen here in BC, because I have seen the news briefly report on this practice. What’s scary is, it sounds like this practice is a new thing, I mean I’m sure it was practiced here and there at certain schools, but the fact it wasn’t practiced at any of the schools I attended as a kid, and the possibility that it wasn’t practiced everywhere; seems to suggest that this a new method of “dealing with” Autistic students. Is that true, is this a new method? What do we know about restraint and seclusion rooms?

This may be a situational sort of thing. Some autistics just sort of shut down or almost go into "hiding" mode when agitated. Others, however, become violent and chaotic, which presents a really major problem in a school setting. That's a recipe for lots of trouble and potential injuries.

So, it's possible that this method is specifically meant to deal with that. And the sad thing is, well... what the heck other solution could anyone come up with? There's no solution that would not be somehow unpleasant, but in situations like that, someone *must* deal with it somehow.

Now, the trouble begins if they start just applying this concept to any autistic kids having trouble, even if that kid is not even slightly violent. In that case, it's neglectful laziness on the part of the educators (because they cant be bothered to actually think over the situation).

That's my thoughts on it anyway. This sort of thing didnt really happen back when I was in school, but there werent any kids who ever got violent in there, and very, VERY few who were on the spectrum (or at least, who were known to be on it). I only ever met one other.

I've never had to deal with it but have run across a lot of people's writings on the Internet that they got locked in a closet or something in school.

I think perhaps autistic kids really don't do well in all classroom settings--think about if you get a kid with a bad family situation and autism on top of that. He or she will be a little terror, until all grown up to be a big terror.

This sort of thing that would even lead a school to be like "lock up the special ed class; we need some quiet" scares me. So many variables for a kid to be entirely undisciplined by parents unaware of how autistics think, or to be constantly attacked at home by the uber-strict ones, or raised in a dangerous environment of "eat kale & get over it" -- I'm really worried. How do ANY of us survive?

How do ANY of us survive?
I think, by perseverence when we can set goals for ourselves. But that does not mean we escape damage. My social isolation during the time of life that normal social development happens left me hating myself. Now, 44 years after I thought that I worked my way through that self loathing, events remind me of those times and CPTSD is cropping up from what I denied for too long.

I think, by perseverence when we can set goals for ourselves. But that does not mean we escape damage. My social isolation during the time of life that normal social development happens left me hating myself. Now, 44 years after I thought that I worked my way through that self loathing, events remind me of those times and CPTSD is cropping up from what I denied for too long.

I agree, we do not escape the damage. I wake up and go to bed with it and would give anything for the heartbreak and continued reminders to stop.

Sometimes I wish I had been adopted, those kids are wanted.

I agree, we do not escape the damage. I wake up and go to bed with it and would give anything for the heartbreak and continued reminders to stop.

Sometimes I wish I had been adopted, those kids are wanted.
I rated it a heart , as in my heart goes out to you. Not heartbreak for me, but a bitterness at my loneliness that I'm trying to put to rest.

Last edited:
Did you ever read "zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance"? Its a story about a man and his boy on an epic trip across America, and the man has a fractured memory of his whole past.
I cant really remember my youth in detail. There are chunks, but it's mostly murky. The shrink said dont worry about it. I dont remember "acting out" in class, bit I remember asking the wrong things at the wrong times, and being outspoken and defiant/casual/ assuming familiarity. I got in trouble alot. The vice principal used to park me in " in house detention" which was a cubicle that you had to be quiet in and face a wall that had signs or something on it. You had to stay still and seated. No rocking, no tapping fingers or toes, no "fidgeting"
I never heard of anyone in restraints except for violence

It varies from autie to autie. My daughter finds closed, dark spaces (like her room darkened*) to be calming when she is having an anxiety attack.

*She has a half-door, so she isn't "locked in a closet."

An informative video essay was posted here a while back, by @Jenisautistic, I think, and the discussion was well researched and evidenced, it was about a state that regularly uses restraint in a prone position in schools, despite the known dangers of this. Frightening and unacceptable, and should be illegal but unfortunately it apparently isn't.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, I was busy yesterday with stuff and got sidetracked and unfortunately still have to clean-up from yesterday, I really hope to get it done soon and then hopefully have time to reply, as I have some things comment on what has been said so far.

I've never had to deal with it but have run across a lot of people's writings on the Internet that they got locked in a closet or something in school.

I think perhaps autistic kids really don't do well in all classroom settings--
I think all Autistic kids should be homeschooled rather than sent to a school, in fact, if it wasn’t for the fact that I don’t yet fully understand how Neurotypicals function, I actually wonder whether schooling itself should be abolished; have everyone homeschooled and let parents hire tutors to teach their kids anything that’s above their pay grade.

New Threads

Top Bottom