• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Travelling to the U.S.A but can't bring my son's CBD oil.

Eric Renkoff

I and my family are American Citizens living overseas. We all have current U.S.A. passports. We are planning a family vacation next summer (2019). My youngest son (17 years old next week) has been diagnosed with Autism and Epilipsy. He is currently being treated (with a doctor’s prescription and license from the ministry of health) with Resperidal and CBD oil for behavioral and seizure regulation. The DEA has informed that under no circumstances can I bring his CBD oil with us to the U.S.A. How do I go about legally obtaining the oil in Florida (Orlando) quickly after we land so that he doesn't have to miss any doses? His type of oil is below.

CBD=30% (15mg/drop)

THC=0.5% (0.75mg/drop)

CDN<1% (<0.5mg/drop)

1:20 THC:CBD

Last edited:
You probably don't unfortunately, I'm not sure on Florida's laws, but even if it's legal medicinally, you'd need a doctor's prescription to get it. You probably know how quick that process or anything with doctors. :( I'm fairly certain that Florida would be anti CBD but not 100℅ on that.

No wonder - in the U.S. CBD oil is illegal federally. You can take it, but it's illegal. You could probably get it somewhere hooky, but it's officially banned.

Some states sell it, but it's not authorised, so if anything goes wrong...

It's legal in the UK as a medical product, just so you know.

I and my family are American Citizens living overseas. We all have current U.S.A. passports. We are planning a family vacation next summer (2019). My youngest son (17 years old next week) has been diagnosed with Autism and Epilipsy. He is currently being treated (with a doctor’s prescription and license from the ministry of health) with Resperidal and CBD oil for behavioral and seizure regulation. The DEA has informed that under no circumstances can I bring his CBD oil with us to the U.S.A. How do I go about legally obtaining the oil in Florida (Orlando) quickly after we land so that he doesn't have to miss any doses? His type of oil is below.

CBD=30% (15mg/drop)

THC=0.5% (0.75mg/drop)

CDN<1% (<0.5mg/drop)

1:20 THC:CBD

You can buy it online, in my state, but unless you trust the company, quality and source, you might be getting ripped off.

Florida allows medicinal CBD oil to be dispensed at a state-regulated pharmacy after a physician licensed by the state diagnoses a medical condition justifying the use of the oil as a last resort. You need to get a doctor's appointment with a physician who is licensed by the state to write the prescription. Bring your child's medical records with you from the UK so the Florida doctor can review them. You also should verify that the precise type of oil used by your child is available in Florida.

Good luck.

Florida allows medicinal CBD oil to be dispensed at a state-regulated pharmacy after a physician licensed by the state diagnoses a medical condition justifying the use of the oil as a last resort. You need to get a doctor's appointment with a physician who is licensed by the state to write the prescription. Bring your child's medical records with you from the UK so the Florida doctor can review them. You also should verify that the precise type of oil used by your child is available in Florida.

Good luck.

This.

And given the proximity of your stay in Orlando Florida, it appears this would be the closest dispensary to make your inquiries to and access. Best to contact them immediately prior to your vacation to pound out the details and legal requirements.

https://mmtcfl.com/summerfield/

Last edited:

Good luck.

The OP references the Israeli health department. Who knows where they are from? The UK isn't specified - that must be me that gave that impression.

Reconciling permission and validating a foreign medical prescription could be a dicey proposition.

No guarantees that one medical bureaucracy will recognize another. All they can do is try. At least they can try determine possibilities of success or failure before they actually get to Florida.

However if he is successful in obtaining such a prescription, it is imperative to understand that it must not be in their possession when at the airport to depart the US. Where they are subject to federal jurisdiction and law.

You can probably get the stuff no problem but it won't be official. This stuff is formally illegal.

You can probably get the stuff no problem but it won't be official. This stuff is formally illegal.

You are incorrect. It's just a matter of jurisdiction.

It will be quite official if he obtains it legally through a state dispensary and doesn't stray into any jurisdiction controlled by federal authorities.

Technically such things remain illegal at the federal level and various states, but not all of them. Though politically so far in most cases federal law enforcement seems to keep their distance.

While legally contradictory, it remains a point of law where certain states have legalized such things to varying degrees while the federal government remains steadfast in dictating what constitutes a controlled substance.

You are incorrect. It's just a matter of jurisdiction.

It will be quite official if he obtains it legally through a state dispensary and doesn't stray into any jurisdiction controlled by federal authorities.

I assume, perhaps wrongly, that airport authorities are federal. It sounds to me like a hassle. I sent him to Reddit so they can advise. They're professionals, they can give advice.

I assume, perhaps wrongly, that airport authorities are federal. It sounds to me like a hassle. I sent him to Reddit so they can advise. They're professionals, they can give advice.

However if he is successful in obtaining such a prescription, it is imperative to understand that it must not be in their possession when at the airport to depart the US. Where they are subject to federal jurisdiction and law.

The key is to always be aware of whether or not one is entering a venue subject to federal law. In other words, obtaining such things legally at the state level only gives you the right of possession while on state property. Not when on federal property where you can be immediately subject to arrest and prosecution.

A hassle? That's an understatement. But it remains a "political football" where tough federal rhetoric is just that- rhetoric. Where one too many elected officials are prone to tread lightly on this argument leaving agents of federal law enforcement citing federal law while not actually enforcing it on state property. A legal environment that never really existed in our political past.

But then these days the federal government tends to be quite selective about when and where they are so willing to trample over the rights of individual states. Wise decision, too given that same political past.

Last edited:
That is a small amout of THC. Is he on just CBD oil or is it the CBD oil from marijuana? In most states, you can buy CBD oil. I buy it. It's legal in most states as long as it's in a certain range of legal percentage of THC. It can range from 0% to about .8%. Like in Florida, it's 0.8%. This link may help. Where are you coming from?

https://redstormscientific.com/buy-cbd-oil-in-florida/

Do U.S. states mostly hold to the definition of negative liberty - i.e. that which is not explicitly proscribed (i.e. drugs) is legal?

Do U.S. states mostly hold to the definition of negative liberty - i.e. that which is not explicitly proscribed (i.e. drugs) is legal?
Oh dear no. The other way around, I am afraid. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

I'm more laissez-faire - I think they should sell some drugs in special shops. Some supermarkets could be licensed to sell certain drugs. As I say, I'm fairly liberal. To Americans I'd be off the scale.

I'd support some cafe bars being allowed to sell cannabis but we know that would enrage the Dutch. So best not. It's all intersectional.

New Threads

Top Bottom