• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

travel are there many aspies with this interest

Jonathan Lees

hi, my name is Jonathan and for my age of 21 im pretty well travelled (24 countries), i wondering how many other aspies also like to travel and where people have been?
im am in the summer going to embark on my largest stint of travel thus far and very excited.

italy,greece,germany,belgium,morocco,tenerife,malta,gozo,austria, Republic of Ireland , Australia ,madeira ,Scotland,Switzerland ,israel,France,monaco,Guernsey

Last edited:
24 countries in 21 years? Good job! How? And where?

Despite almost always having at least one meltdown for any trip of length I love traveling. In the States and never been out but I have been to about 30 states so far. I have no interest in going to all 50 because there are things in my own state I haven't even seen yet. Paper maps are still the best, and planning and packing is almost the highlight of a trip for me. Not sure why. It's certainly the cheapest part.

Hoping to get to Texas this year and camping in some areas I haven't been before. Most of the time I've spent in Texas has been Dallas to visit family-ish people so this trip will be to western Texas.

thanks for your responses :)

well i was born in Pakistan (christian missionary parents) and lived their till 7 when i came to the UK (counting Scotland, wales and England as seperate for the count of 24). i travelled to a bunch of places as a child and teen with my parents like Switzerland, Malta, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, France, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Hungary, Romania and briefly to the border of Afghanistan. also travelled a lot for my university course (geology involves a lot of travel) like Cyprus, italy and Spain and travelled myself to lots of places like Sweden, Ireland, Austria and Poland volunteering and stuff.

this summer i plan on spending more time travelling in italy, France and Spain (up to a year) while also visiting for the first time Monaco, Andorra, Portugal and maybe Morocco?

id love to visit the USA one day and im sure i will, and ive heard the states can be very different. travel isn't just about ticking places off a map to me but actually experiences in a place and meeting people hence wanting to spend more time in places ive already been over just visiting more places.

in terms of how i afford it i have very little money but hitchhiking, couch-surfing and volunteering for food and board go a long way.

That's quite a tally Jonathan - I have been to the USA, Jersey, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Greece, Monaco, Spain, Portugal and Iceland.

I love to travel if sensory processing issues weren't a problem. about 12 years ago. I took a 2 month trip to Europe. I went with a tour group and visited Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland and the UK. One thing a absolutely loved about Europe was the passenger train system there. It made traveling around easy, and it was cheap. I wish we had something like that here in the US. But here in the US, everybody loves their car more. It was nice to be able to just hop on a train, got to sleep and wake up the next day at your destination. Other then that, I've never really traveled outside the US. Except for Vancover BC once.

Born England, Wales, Scotland, France, a couple of the Canary Islands, mainland Spain, Greece, Italy, Switzerland, Canada, Singapore, Malasia, New Zealand, China, South Africa, Madagascar, Australia, Indonesia, Columbia

hi, my name is Jonathan and for my age of 21 im pretty well travelled (24 countries), i wondering how many other aspies also like to travel and where people have been?
im am in the summer going to embark on my largest stint of travel thus far and very excited.
used to have this interest and travelled a lot - now I want to live in a cave, lol :) But there are some places I'd still like to go - not for the novelty, but to cherish.

Not an aspie (NT) but:
England, Scotland, (Wales), France, Switzerland, Italy, Canada, Costa Rica, Mexico
various Caribbean islands (Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Bonaire, Dominica, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Saint Marten) Australia, Indonesia, Philippines, Micronesia (Palau) , Fiji, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore.

I do enjoy traveling, thus far my travels are a little close to home, but it gets me out of the house for a few days at a time...

I live in Alberta and love exploring different regions of the Canadian prairies, for the sole purpose of taking photos and just exploring as well, three years ago I went on a six day driving trip in Saskatchewan, driving back roads, exploring...

Several times a year I will head east, sometimes a day trip, sometimes overnight, and do lots of back road exploring and taking photos...

If I had more money I would like to do similar trips further afield and overseas, I always use my vacation primarily for photography... My trusty little blue car somewhere in the Alberta badlands...

Back Roads 02.jpg

Last edited:
i cannot travel well. I am worse than Rain Man by far. He could sleep in beds and did not mind the sun an d could eat food made by others and so forth............travel with me is like having all your finger nails and toe nails ripped out one by one as I scream and cry in the back seat.................

i cannot travel well. I am worse than Rain Man by far. He could sleep in beds and did not mind the sun an d could eat food made by others and so forth............travel with me is like having all your finger nails and toe nails ripped out one by one as I scream and cry in the back seat.................

Heck, I usually drive solo on my trips, just me and the road, sometimes with a friend... I can drive 12 hours or more in one day, with many stops for photography, I love it! A way for me to relax and get out of the big city...

I would love to, but am stuck here being a debt slave working by butt off. I have been various places in the US mainland, Hawaii (where I am from and live), Peru, Canada, Japan, Alaska and that's about it. I have neither the time nor funds to travel much, though It's definitely an interest of mine.

I’ve lived in six countries, and visited thirteen: USA, Venezuela, Aruba, Canada, Puerto Rico, France, Switzerland, Italy, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Chile, Argentina and Panama.
I love traveling.

I’ve only ever been overseas once and it was with my husband,we went to Japan for 8 days back in 2013 and did enjoy though I did get a bit overwhelmed when I first was in Shinjuku and there were a lot of people walking pass me,but besides that it was a good holiday and one day I would to go with my husband to places like Greece,England and Canada.

I do like visiting new countries of places, and have been to UK, Greece, Romania, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Italy, Spain, Turkey and Canada. But when I travel long distances I get sick, I mean physically sick so I vomit and have to go and lie down. I don't know why this happens exactly, a response to stress and anxiety perhaps, or overload, but I have a history of being sick, not being able to function, having to stay in bed, missing flights, being sick on planes, etc. It's a problem when I want to travel.

Now I take antidepressants and that takes the edge off the anxiety, and I have strong anti-nausea tablets, I'll make sure I use those the next time I have to travel.

I do like visiting new countries of places, and have been to UK, Greece, Romania, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Italy, Spain, Turkey and Canada. But when I travel long distances I get sick, I mean physically sick so I vomit and have to go and lie down. I don't know why this happens exactly, a response to stress and anxiety perhaps, or overload, but I have a history of being sick, not being able to function, having to stay in bed, missing flights, being sick on planes, etc. It's a problem when I want to travel.

Now I take antidepressants and that takes the edge off the anxiety, and I have strong anti-nausea tablets, I'll make sure I use those the next time I have to travel.
If you can use ginger it's an antispasmodic,good for nausea and it may give you an immunity,there don't appear to be many plants that do that.

If you can use ginger it's an antispasmodic,good for nausea and it may give you an immunity,there don't appear to be many plants that do that.
Thank you. Yes, I have ginger and drink it regularly because of it's anticancer properties.

Jonathan - please don't hitchhike in the USA. It is very dangerous to do that here. We're Americans but spend as much time as possible in Mexico. When my husband retires in another couple of years, we want to retire part time in the Yucatan somewhere near Cancun, spending winters there and summers (hurricane season) back in the US.

dont! hitchhike anywhere !you'd just been born when Ivan Milat was convicted of the backpacker murders in 1996.
get a bus pass or a train pass ,I got a bus pass when I was in Australia in 1996 !and watched the news reports of Ivan Milats garage and the backpacks lined up against the back wall.

New Threads

Top Bottom