• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Traumatic Brain Injury and the Autistic Spectrum

Nitro

Admin/Immoral Turpitude
Staff member
Admin
V.I.P Member
I am a survivor of a traumatic brain injury that occurred three and one half years ago. An obsession to understand my injury and why recovery was getting so remarkable led me on my search. My cognitive therapist showed me a video of an autistic female who learned language and communicated thru her computer. She described in detail what she was doing as she had with interactions in her world as different as they might look to the neurotypical world. I understood autism.

Next stop was a linked video about Asperger's...I saw myself in that video...as I dug in deeper to the pile,a friend for over 48 years who remembered my scientific approach to the world said she always knew I was different.She then suggested that I watch the movie titled "Temple Grandin"
I watched it and now can let you see what happens in my brain in video form. I am open to studies of me and welcome advice but should remind you I want nothing to do with a chemistry experiment.

My next request is for others who share my two combined issues to shout out. I am very open to questioning and this is not a cry for me blog,but a learning tool that needs exploited. Help me with my quest, we owe this to autism study.

One thing I want to know is whether you remember
how it was when you were at your least capable, but
yet conscious. Can you describe that? (with words, if
possible and/or pictures.)

Printed words looked like this to me:
LargeMain1338.jpg

I remember being in pretty intense pain and puzzled as to why my one arm no longer worked.

Memories of the brain trauma unit are very faint,with the strongest one of my now life long friend Jenny in the physical rehab unit who was in a similar bike accident. I looked at her and said to myself,"what a mess that girl is in,she is ruined for life" "Not much hope for her"
I was looking at a mirror image of me at the time,but didn't know it.
Jenny is doing well now :)

Jenny: Ray And Jennie's Tryke

I must have still had a sense of humor even at my worst.Because they sectioned my skull,I had no protection on the left side of my head,so I had to wear a bump cap to keep me from further injury. When they put it on me the first time,I was still in a wheelchair and the first thing I said was Timmy!

I remember not being able to walk,but still persisted on trying to make it to the men's room. My first night at the nursing home,they had to take me back to Mercy Hospital for more x-rays and observation after I fell and hit my head again after my fall.

The first time I realized my long hair was gone,it puzzled me because I had no idea where it went. The next part I realized was that my left forehead was grossly disfigured by feeling it,but had no idea why.

When I moved to the home I live in now,my sister gave me all of the stuff that was given to me in the hospital. Included in it was my hair. I asked her why they saved it. She said it was for the undertaker :p

Slowly my senses started to return and it wasn't until after my intracranial shunt was installed that my serious improvements began. It was right after that when I was cleared for more intense physical therapy that I went double down on my therapist's requests. My brain started to make major strides immediately after that surgery,beginning with my voice returning in the recovery room. It has been said that it was like night and day for me after that.

Riding in an ambulance between the nursing home and the hospital for many trips was pretty traumatic looking back on it.

At this stage of the game,most of it is a hazy distant memory that exists as a very surreal event that happened long ago.

I must be one tough old sob because I fooled them all and returned with a vengeance :cool:

How are you doing now in regards to progress? Have you lost anything, is something not quite the same?

Shouting out!! Luv Ya Nitro! I am so glad when you bring this up because I am in the same boat. SO HARD! Aspies are acutely aware to begin with. When the brain is damaged,it is even more aware. For me, I lost a lot of skills, but on the neuro cog, I did well. This is because I was Higher than Average everywhere BEFORE my accident. So the drs are like, "Yeah but your SHOULD be able to do those things....."

Yeah, but before I was conjugating long lists of arcane Latin Verbs and declining sheets of Greek nouns. I can't do that now. I can still memorize a poem I am working on in Greek, but it's harder than it was. I cannot get things into context. I cannot recognize peoples' faces unless I see them daily.

So my drs are basing my "wellness" on normal NTs, not Aspie.

Everyday I focus on getting back what I have lost. But it is quite hard. I also have post TBI depression which is NOTHING like pre TBI depression. One of my dr said the brain KNOWS when it's damaged. She was the smartest dr i went to. She can't explain it other than to say, the brain knows and acts on that, becomes fragile, second guesses itself. It's a fragile organ.

She further said that all the struggle I had before the TBI had become almost second nature and NOW, it's like it is all in my face, fight fight fight all the time for things I used to fight without thinking.

The goal is to set the bar EXACTLY WHERE IT WAS.

To @tree- that is a great question. For me it was like what I saw once......

There was a camel cricket stuck on duct tape and he was alive. I panicked for him so bad!! I grabbed Qtips and warmish water and spent half an hour gently pouring water on his legs, tears pouring out of my eyes while I watched him. He could not express anything to me. He could not tell me how he was feeling. He looked like an immovable object but he was not. He was sentient and screaming in horror. All his legs were stuck.

I freed him! I got him free, a little worse for wear but I was so happy. Can you imagine if he had died there, unable to move, like being crucified and no understanding of how he got there or what happened or why he could not move?

That is like what it felt like. And I am very grateful to the few souls who stuck by my and poured warm water on my legs and tried to pry me off the duct tape.

How are you doing now in regards to progress? Have you lost anything, is something not quite the same?
To answer that question,I will admit that my short term memory suffered a hit. Thru my own use of technology,I placed strategies that allow me to compensate for my deficits. I use Gmail as a way of keeping notes that are important to me that I can access anywhere I can get online including my smart phone. The camera on it is a valuable tool for itemizing larger hardware displays and to keep records of pricing.

I lost none of my long term memory,so all of that is still intact after I regained some of my senses. I was able to describe former events in my lifetime because I still had access to the images that perform a huge role in my memory.My primary psychologist at my live in facility rehab was utterly amazed at how much I could pull together in instants.

My friend that helped me thru some of the roughest parts was amazed that I could still navigate Pittsburgh which can prove to be impossible to many with no flaws because I have all of the playback images and tapes from times I had traveled the same routes prior to my accident. I'm not talking a few times,I'm really talking about 50 or more times choosing a different route each time.

It is my honest opinion that my recovery was as successful as it has been due to me being a primarily rear brained thinker. That I feel is yet another gift from the autism spectrum in my eyes.

I am self-diagnosed, and am 46. During my 30's, I was part of a small religious group run by ministers with psychology backgrounds, and they helped me improve my interpersonal and communications skills. I started to suspect Aspergers at that time. Four years ago, I had an undiagnosed brain aneurysm rupture and was in the hospital for 2 1/2 weeks. I was sent home by myself with no help, because I could walk and get in and out of the shower by myself. However, I had to call my sister across the country to help me decide what to put on a grocery list for a friend who was willing to shop for me. Decision-making improved a little over time, but can still be overwhelming unless I stick to my usual. I remember going to a local cafe about a month after the aneurysm, and staring at the multiple boards filled with drink options, and wondering how I would ever decide what to order. I stayed in the back, letting other people go ahead, for probably 10 minutes, trying to read through the board systematically, before I finally realized I could just get the drink I usually got.

"Aspies are acutely aware to begin with. When the brain is damaged,it is even more aware."
Yes, I have always been sensitive to sounds, especially high-pitched ones. I get easily overwhelmed now in group settings, not as much from the social interaction as from the constant background sound, now that every business establishment feels it necessary to play pounding music non-stop. Also, I enjoy singing in my church choir (alto), and it drives me nuts when we have to do warm-ups, and the sopranos are so loud and shrill!

"For me, I lost a lot of skills, but on the neuro cog, I did well. This is because I was Higher than Average everywhere BEFORE my accident. So the drs are like, "Yeah but your SHOULD be able to do those things....."
YES!!! This has been driving me crazy! I was unable to get any sort of speech/cognitive therapy because I tested so high. I knew I was worse than before, but no one thought I was bad enough to deserve help. I compare it to an Olympic gymnast being told post-brain-injury that, because they can walk, they don't qualify for further physical therapy.

I went back to work after 4 months. My job as a nurse practitioner entailed keeping track of tons of info about our patients, having emotionally intense conversations about illness and dying, being able to remember all the details of the conversation to document them, and then discussing it with the doctor, bedside nurse, case manager, etc. Pre-BI, I was able to balance all this. Post-BI, I couldn't follow the social cues as I had been taught to before, and I got really scared. I also kept forgetting details about the patients, even during conversations, which was very embarrassing! I kept telling my managers that I didn't feel I was doing as well as I had done before, and everyone kept reassuring me that I was doing fine, that they didn't see any difference - shows how well I can mask! Eventually, the struggle to keep going wore me down so much that I had to leave the job. I don't know how I made it for more than 3 years, but I did. Now I work 16 hours per week coordinating volunteers at a local non-profit. It is still a lot of people time, but it is less intensive than my old job, and I have more time at home to recuperate. But, because I still have gargantuan student loans, I may have to get a medical release to limit my work so that the student loan agency doesn't come after me and require me to get a full-time job if I can't handle one. Which makes me feel like I'm lazy, of course.

"Everyday I focus on getting back what I have lost."
I have mixed feelings about saying this, but I have given up on getting back what I lost. Maybe one day a bolt from the blue will strike me, and I'll magically be able to feel like I used to. In the meantime, I have had to accept my limitations. It is so hard to do "brain rest". I briefly saw a psychologist, for the BI, who recommended these 10 minute sessions with minimal sensory input (good luck doing that in a big city!) and keeping the mind quiet. My mind gets bored after just a few minutes, and I struggle between knowing I need to rest my thinking vs. my mind which wants to read, do a puzzle, anything but just sit there!

"One of my dr said the brain KNOWS when it's damaged. She was the smartest dr i went to. She can't explain it other than to say, the brain knows and acts on that, becomes fragile, second guesses itself. It's a fragile organ."
That helps me. It's not like I've done anything wrong to prevent myself from recovering (one of my biggest fears), but that my brain is protecting itself. After almost a year, I was able to get some PT for exercise tolerance (physical energy has also been very unpredictable), and she told me that "fatigue means healing". That has helped me too. I second guess myself all the time. I did that when I was younger, but was more confident in my 30s. That confidence is all gone now.

"She further said that all the struggle I had before the TBI had become almost second nature and NOW, it's like it is all in my face, fight fight fight all the time for things I used to fight without thinking."
Now that you say this, I realize this makes sense for me too.

Wow, this is really helping me put some pieces together. Thank you!

New Threads

Top Bottom