• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Transitional Objects

Do you still have a "transitional object"?

• Yes; and I continue to sleep with it/hold it.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Yes; but I just like to have it around.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • No; I never really had one.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No; I lost attachment to it/had to give it up eventually.

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

Hylian

Fellow DbD Enjoyer
V.I.P Member
Does anyone else still have their "transitional object", like a favourite teddy bear or blanket you've had since you were a small child?

I'm nineteen and still have a blanket that I got when I was a newborn and that I still sleep with. Earlier I remembered looking up things about having transitional objects because as I got older I started to get embarrassed about having the blanket, but I found out that it's apparently more common for people to keep their transitional objects as adults than I thought, and that there's people that continue to sleep with these things (at least when they're alone).

So, now I'm curious as to how many people on here still have things like that? Do you also still interact with that object (hold it, sleep with it, etc), or do you just kind of keep it around just to have it?

I have my trusty Ted who's been with me for over five decades. He still looks and smells the same as he did back then. I haven't slept with him for decades, but he has pride of place sitting on top a cupboard in my bedroom where I can see him - and he can see me :D

I had a stuffed animal dog that I slept with, that filled in for my 4 Chihuahuas during my hospital stays for Leukemia treatments a few years ago. When I finished he became a toy for the Chihuahuas and is eyeless, noseless and stuffingless now. But I won't toss him. My daughters housemate makes/sells stuffed animals as a side gig and I will have him restored if I need him again. ;)

Still have my favourite childhood teddy bear around (he sits on a child’s wicker armchair next to my music stand).
I do have an old dressing-gown I cuddle in bed though: so I transitioned to an alternative transitional object as I got older (and larger). :p

I have letters from my grandfather, that sort of thing. I used to have stuffed animals but donated them. I have a rosary my grandma made when I was a baby and which I used to use until it was getting some age on it (not to mention it was a lot of really bright colors LOL and too conspicuous) so those are there. One other thing that I've hung on to since I was little was some cars. I have a couple little die-cast Matchbox or Hot Wheels cars in a box somewhere: one is a Bel Air, one is a 1970s-style Peterbilt dump truck, and one is not a toy car at all but a fully functioning Toyota Corolla, Model DX, that was the first car I ever saw within a few hours of being born. I refuse to let that one go to the junk yard yet. So far it's survived two or three accidents, a number of hurricanes (we don't have a garage) hundreds of thousands of miles of driving, season upon season of absolutely brutal heat and cold, a time where it was abandoned in the yard, and all that. Somehow it still runs and I kind of don't have plans to get rid of it even though perhaps someday I should like a better car.

My ex took my puppet and my first book my mom saved for me. (crying heard in the closet).

Does anyone else still have their "transitional object", like a favourite teddy bear or blanket you've had since you were a small child?

I'm nineteen and still have a blanket that I got when I was a newborn and that I still sleep with. Earlier I remembered looking up things about having transitional objects because as I got older I started to get embarrassed about having the blanket, but I found out that it's apparently more common for people to keep their transitional objects as adults than I thought, and that there's people that continue to sleep with these things (at least when they're alone).

So, now I'm curious as to how many people on here still have things like that? Do you also still interact with that object (hold it, sleep with it, etc), or do you just kind of keep it around just to have it?

I have my blanket around, I still sleep with the teddy bear. Hopefully I have about 10 of them still around (same model). I had so hard breakdowns when the teddy bear wasn't around that my parents bought me 20 of them to make sure there was at least one somewhere. So I still have a stock.
I'm 27. I think there are people doing that, but most people I've met don't think about it and disliked knowing that I slept with the teddy bear. They must have a complex.

I have my blanket around, I still sleep with the teddy bear. Hopefully I have about 10 of them still around (same model). I had so hard breakdowns when the teddy bear wasn't around that my parents bought me 20 of them to make sure there was at least one somewhere. So I still have a stock.
I'm 27. I think there are people doing that, but most people I've met don't think about it and disliked knowing that I slept with the teddy bear. They must have a complex.
I honestly can't sleep without the blanket I have, which is mainly because I've slept with it for my entire life and it's way too different not doing so. My mom said she tried to find another one like it at one point because it's pretty tattered, but I don't mind that it's like that. I also think it's nice your parents bought so many of those bears for you. lol

I don't usually tell people I have the blanket, but my current online friends know about it and don't care about it. When adults find out from my parents that I have it they think it's weird though.

I don't have any of that. I had my teddy bear and blankie. But I lost interest in them and other liitle kid favorites. That stuff was kept in a bin until it was obvious I was not going to miss having those things and they were passed down or donated or tossed. These days my phone is the object that is near and dear to me.

Last edited:
I've moved around a lot and by the time I had to really make major life changes at age 53, what few
things I still had around just because I wanted them, I gave up not knowing where I was going to
be living. If I was going to have a bedroom and bath to live in, I just kept what I absolutely needed
and could fit in.
Sometimes I think of things now that I have more space and wish I still had them, but, that's life.
I can work outside and have a garden where I am now and my main thing is to collect crystals and rocks.
So I have plenty of them.

I honestly can't sleep without the blanket I have, which is mainly because I've slept with it for my entire life and it's way too different not doing so. My mom said she tried to find another one like it at one point because it's pretty tattered, but I don't mind that it's like that. I also think it's nice your parents bought so many of those bears for you. lol

I don't usually tell people I have the blanket, but my current online friends know about it and don't care about it. When adults find out from my parents that I have it they think it's weird though.

Most people find weird what they don't understand.

While I am not into it myself, I understand it and see nothing negative about it. I actually think it's pretty cool.

I do not have anything from my childhood. But I do have something that is near & dear to me, something that is over forty years old. This may sound a little odd, but it is my Leatherman tool. Not only is it a very handy thing to have with you, to me it is a stim tool. It make a slight mechanical noise when you fold it up or open a tool. I find this very soothing, so I play with it a lot. It is always on me except at night and then it is close by. I feel uncomfortable if I do not have it with me.

When I was a baby I had a strong attachment to a cloth. It was horrible and had milk and baby food all over it and id chew it and cling to it, my mom wouldn't manage to take it away cause I'd cry and scream a lot if I was separated from my cloth. My mom was prolly more horrible and cold than now since I was powerless as a baby so I imagine I had to get attached to something warmer than her. I have seen an image with me as a baby and my sister getting annoyed at my mom for taking away my sweet. She is evil, evil I say!

New Threads

Top Bottom