• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mia

V.I.P Member
(Picture removed)

Canadian National railway snow plow used in Northern Canada, 1958 apparently used in Manitoba and environs.

Last edited:
To the trains!

11716690735_90a23d1baa_k.jpg

Ive noticed a lot of people with autism love trains, my 4 year old included im interested to know why?

interested to know why?

Structure.

Seriously, the only reason I became an unofficial world record holder here in Sydney (for travelling to all our 178 stations in the fastest time possible) - was because of the structure of it all.

I figured as much, im more of a car person, but to me it seems like a good portion tend to be fixated on trains. They are impressive and i have countless amount of books on them which my son likes going through. Not to far way from me they have a museum of some old trains (their all running) and you can go for a ride on them im planning on taking him soon.

We have Maitland Steamfest this weekend, which I'll be giving a miss to this year for various reasons.

Ive noticed a lot of people with autism love trains, my 4 year old included im interested to know why?
For me it is the sound they make, also the scenery alongside railways tends to be more interesting and beautiful than alongside roads. The scenery and stations on the line that goes from my parents' small town to Sheffield look as though they are directly lifted from Thomas and Friends. I used to love Thomas the Tank Engine as it was known then and anything else train related.

For me it is the sound they make, also the scenery alongside railways tends to be more interesting and beautiful than alongside roads. The scenery and stations on the line that goes from my parents' small town to Sheffield look as though they are directly lifted from Thomas and Friends. I used to love Thomas the Tank Engine as it was known then and anything else train related.
I like the sound they make too and the history of train travel across U.S. I rode a restored coal powered train from Durango Colorado to Silverton Colorado. It's was really neat.

I was exposed to the train element by my maternal grandfather as a small child. Being a mechanical junkie kept my interest in all machinery alive my entire lifetime. I have ridden only steam trains,one being the Shay powered logging trains in Cass West Virginia and another that is in my home state of Pennsylvania in East Broad Top.
The EBT line was closed several years ago and it is unknown at this point that it will ever be revived again,yet another sign of the times of the disappearance of another icon.

National Pike Steam, Gas and Horse Association

When I was younger,I was an active participant in this show and dragged antique machines,some restored and others only preserved to this show to share them with other enthusiasts.
I have been a member of this organization for over 10 years where we highlight all forms of antique machinery located about 10 miles from my present home. We still have several running examples of steam powered machinery on the grounds and two shows a year,an early one during the National Pike Festival that celebrates the country's first National Turnpike project now known as US 40. US 40 was originally what was called a corduroy road due to the construction being felled logs laid crossways to the direction of travel that produced a bumpy ride in a carriage or wagon,but improved the quality of what would have been just a mud mired pathway and impossible to travel most of the year.

Our big show lasts three days near the end of summer that highlights excavation equipment and has a featured tractor brand every season. I restored a 1946 Oliver 60 Row Crop that was in the show during the Oliver year. We do not have a judging of anything and all are welcome to bring anything antique to the shows which gives us a great cross section of machines that include an operating steam shovel,saw mill and several tractors and a steam roller. We have a steam train preserved on our grounds just for display.Any member can keep anything they own on the grounds which allows a lot of retired gigantic construction equipment to have a home and be operated for the public.

https://www.aspiescentral.com/media/albums/national-pike-steam-gas-and-horse-association.281/

Here is a list of youtubers from past shows https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=national+pike+steam+gas+and+horse&nohtml5=False

I still have my souvenir rail spike I got when I went to the East Broad Top railway dated on the opposite side July 1968

Attachments

• 20160407_220855.jpg
    20160407_220855.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 237

New Threads

Top Bottom