• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tragic Story in California

Positional Asphyxia and Restraint or Seclusion
The prone position (face down) should not be used for restraint as it may lead to positional asphyxia “Positional asphyxia is insufficient intake of oxygen as a result of body position that interferes with one’s ability to breathe”
(Mohr & Mohr, 2000, p.289;National Institute of Justice Program [NIJP], 1995, p.1)

As a consequence of the restraint application respiration is compromised causing insufficient oxygen in the blood to meet the body’s oxygen needs or demands (hypoxia) which then results in a disturbed heart rhythm (cardiac arrhythmia)(Patterson,et.al., 1998, p.62).

Prone Restraint Complications
Compression or restriction of movement of the ribs (intercostal muscles) limits the ability to expand the chest cavity and breathe

Abdominal organs may be pushed up, restricting movement of the diaphragm and further limiting the available space for the lungs to expand

Further restriction of the chest cavity may come from a staff person pressing a hand or knee into the patient’s back or leaning body weight into or against the back or chest

Agitation or aggressive struggle further increases the body’s oxygen demands and increases the heart rate

Increased heart rate and insufficient oxygen may cause a fatal cardiac arrhythmia

from: Prevention, Intervention and Postvention: Restraints and Seclusion - ppt download

Additional material of interest at link above.

Positional Asphyxia and Restraint or Seclusion
The prone position (face down) should not be used for restraint as it may lead to positional asphyxia ...
Thank you very much for your response. When I read the story I suspected something like this was the case, and I was sure someone here would have the full story about how wrong this is.

It's a local story for me -- don't know how much attention the story will get outside of the Sacramento area. I'll try to keep an eye out for new developments.

I literally saw that article linked in a Discord server for autistic people.

That is so sad! That child didn't deserve to die.

I don't care if it's against that law in that state, but people who kill a child while trying to restrain them, even accidentally, should be punished to death! Especially one that doesn't know or understand what he/she is doing wrong.

This is so messed up! I hope that the teachers who did this to this poor, innocent boy haven been put in jail for life, and never be allowed to teach again!

"Guiding Hands School, Inc.," my hindquarters!

This is so aggravating! Why do people just let things like this happen? Why do all schools require teachers to be full trained and understand how to deal with AS kids? I hope for a change to this, but I don't think it'll come soon or easily.

After all, this world is screwed, and people aren't very willing to accept what is different and they don't want to understand.

They clearly didn't know what they were doing. There are special classes you have to take just to get certified to be able to restrain a person in a place like a school, and there must be a doctor's order in place for the person to be restrained.
For example, as a nurse, I'm unable to restrain or apply restraints to a patient without a doctor's order. The only time we are allowed to go without the order is if it's an emergency and the person is a danger to themselves or others.

I haven't read the article but send my (sorry for bad choice of words) commisserations to victim, friends and family.

The founder is appealing the suspension of course and has been given two weeks to "fix this". Sigh.

Meanwhile, I present you with the school motto:
Acceptance Of All, Exclusion Of None.

Child died because he kicked a wall. At least one other student was a witness to the death.

I have no words.

New Threads

Top Bottom