• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Toys / Items you remember getting with your cereal / fast food...

AGXStarseed

For a good portion of us, I'm sure you remember having times where you got a special box of cereal that contained a toy or item of some kind. Likewise, if you've ever had a kids meal at a fast food restaurant such as McDonalds or Burger King among others when you were younger, you probably got a toy or item from those as well.
There's also Kinder Eggs as well - getting a toy out of those is part of their appeal.

Are there any in particular that you remember?

For me in regards to Cereal toys, I do remember when I was younger and getting Coco Pops for a while - the box containing Water Squirt Rings. They were essentially the same as the Simpsons Squirt Rings the Kelloggs Frosties released back in the late 1990s with Coco's face on instead, but I wasn't able to get any of those as a kid and with the Squirt Rings we did get, me and my siblings had some fun with when summer rolled around:

As for fast food toys, me and my family went to McDonalds one time for my birthday in 1998 - at which point the toys that were on offer in their Happy Meals were Barbie for the girls and pullback 'Hot Wheels' toys for the boys.
Me and my brother both got a Happy Meal each and the same toy, which included a green pullback car, an orange ramp and a lorry with a trailer that opened at the back. The pullback cars eventually ended up breaking (mine from the pullback giving out, my brother's because he accidentally stepped on his car) while the lorrys were 'just another vehicle' with the Hot Wheels toys we already had, but me and my brother had plenty of fun with the ramps as they could connect to other Hot Wheels merchandise - so we'd often send cars flying everywhere to the annoyance of our parents.

So, do you guys remember any particular toys or items that came with your cereal, fast food or other food?

Last edited:
Strange, I completely forgot about cereal toys until this post.

I used to open the newer packets before finishing my current ones, just to get the toy.

I don't remember any specific ones off the top of my head though.

Ed

Strange, I completely forgot about cereal toys until this post.

I used to open the newer packets before finishing my current ones, just to get the toy.

I don't remember any specific ones off the top of my head though.

Ed

Yeah, I was watching one of the Nostalgia Critic's commercial reviews and he was talking about some of the stuff you get with fast food - which reminded me of this.

As for opening a new box to get the toy, my parents wouldn't let me or my siblings do that.

Outside of the ones I've mentioned, I remember getting little statues of characters from Chicken Run and the Watership Down TV series that was on CITV years back from my cereal. As for fast food, I remember getting little statues of characters from Muppets in Space one time when my Dad, me and two of my siblings ate at Burger King one time.

Beyond those, I remember the adverts for some of the toy giveaways - like Coco Pops having the 'Strawblasters' in their 2003 adverts and Weetos giving away Justice League spinning pencil toppers, while I remember seeing Burger King toys for X-Men 2, Bionicle: Mask of Light, Pokemon 2000 and Rugrats in Paris.
For McDonalds, they had the Mini Furbys/Shellbys, the Robo-chi pets as well as Crash Bandicoot / Spyro the Dragon mini-games:

Last edited:
HA! Great thread. Does anyone remember Body Buddies? They had serious toys , like spoons with your names engraved on them. I think I still have one around and will try to find it.

As I see it, as we get older, our toys change. I have been looking, but I can't seem to find a box of cereal with a Jeep in it.

True. A jeep in a box. Jeeps grab my attention anywhere. One day l am thinking, hey it's a jeep. I am going up over this obstacle because l can. I grew up not watching TV and not many toys. But fun to read comments.

True. A jeep in a box. Jeeps grab my attention anywhere. One day l am thinking, hey it's a jeep. I am going up over this obstacle because l can. I grew up not watching TV and not many toys. But fun to read comments.

Jeeps make very good toys for seniors. We have two, a his and a hers. One is a serious off-roader, the other a more casual off-roader.

I collected a lot of the figurines with/for my kids, thinking they would like them later on when they were adults. Something partially successful. :D

For myself I didn't have any growing up but as a plastic toy soldier collector have found a few very nice items to try and find. They came with Kinder eggs in the 80's are unfortunately very expensive these days (maybe 40-50$ each range). I do have several I found in a flea market in Germany while on vacation there in 91. There are 3 series of 4 each Knights, Samurai and Vikings. They have made other historical sets but only these are the right scale and multipart/multicolored or painted types I like.

knight.jpg

samurai.jpg

vikings.jpg

We didn't have fast food when I was a child. I remember Lucky bags, they were sealed paper bags, maybe about 6d that's old uk money, had sweets and a little gift or item in them. I didn't like plastic figures that were all one colour, they looked cheap and rubbishy to me. I liked trolls, they were a fad for a while. But they cost serious money.

I've got a big jar full of the plastic Mr. Men and Little Miss figures that were part of the Happy Meal last year at McDonald's. I got most of them at the local thrifts store. Kids are interested in those toys for maybe an hour or so and then they just leave them all over the living room carpet for their parents to step on.

I think the best Happy Meal toys from when I was younger were the Muppet Babies, Garfield and Loony Tunes figures that each came with a toy vehicle to ride in.

I remember getting "Mickey D's" toys of Mickey Mouse and his friends representing different countries to promote diversity. I also tend to pick Happy Meals targeted at boys, because oftentimes, they are toy cars, which I loved playing with at the time.

Nope, it was (nearly) always toast for me. Sometimes Weetabix, that was marketed to adults, not kids.

Actually, when I think about it, I remember having Rice Crispies or Frosties. They had characters, but I can't remember if they had toys.

Last edited:
With people selling little plastic ketchup packets for $4.00 USD on eBay due to the national restaurant shortage, I'd say the stash of ketchup and other condiment packets from fast food take-outs that I dug out of the back of my refrigerator yesterday are worth a fortune. And I haven't even looked in the glove compartment or under the drivers seat of my car for more of them! :D

When I was really young I'd sometimes get those plastic figures of Disney characters that could be used for pencil toppers or would hang onto the edge of your bowl and watch while you eat. I miss those. But not enough to pay $50 for them on ebay.

I've found there's a Kinder Surprise Wiki that details a good number of the toys that they had. My sisters got some of the 'City Dog' toys while I do remember one of the adverts from the year 2000 offered the chance to see the British band Steps.
Funnily enough, according to the comments on this video, one person who was in this advert - Reiss Meister (the blond kid shouting "Steps are here!" at around 20 seconds in) - has actually got invited to go to see Steps on their tour this year if it goes ahead.

Last edited:
In the late 90's - early 2000s they were giving away CDs of kids computer games in cereal. I personally played the heck out of the Disney Artist and Roller Coaster Tycoon games. I felt almost like a real animator when creating my own Disney cartoons and stories of the characters, even though they mostly weren't animated.

New Threads

Top Bottom