• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Too Many Pop-Up Ads

TiredMom

My web browser theoretically has pop-up adds blocked, but I am still getting them on Autism Forums. So many that I can hardly see the site content. Please help.

Pop-ups are different than ads generally in browser settings. Pop-ups are practically links that open by themselves in your browser once you open a website that has pop-ups.

If such a setting is blocked, it does not affect ads that show on the screen, aka pop-up ads.

I suggest you install Opera. It has an ad blocker and a VPN.

Although ads can be nippy, they help sites to grow.

If this is really still an issue with the forum, I'm truly surprised they haven't taken action yet. If so, it must be something out of their control because I highly doubt they would be intentionally obnoxious and uninviting.

I have a popup blocker. Adblock Plus. One day it stopped working so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it worked again. My browser has a built-in popup blocker that wasn't working at all.

A lot of those pop-ups were junk science cures looking to get desperate people to click on them. Hyperbaric chamber to "cure" autism? Give me a break! And a lot of those pop-ups crash my system. Even had MalwareBytes occasionally warn me that a popup was dangerous, so it blocked it. I would think they'd at least vet their advertisers better than that.

Now I have a lot of blank space where pop-ups would have been but the site is usable again.

Last edited:
This site is supported by ads. If you don't want to see ads and don't want to support this site, then use an adblocker to block them; there are plenty available. If you still want to support the site (thank you), you can purchase a VIP membership, which means no ads are shown.

This site and its ad network (AdThrive, one of the two top premium ad networks available) do not use "pop-ups" or "pop-under" ads; in fact, most browsers now put blocks in place against these sorts of behaviours.

If you are receiving pop-ups/pop-unders, then the primary causes of this are plugins that may have been installed by another application or some form of malware, which can override your computer settings.

For the avoidance of doubt, we do not provide individual IT support. We do not have the capacity to do so, especially given the variety of systems used on this site.

We have previously had people raise issues where ads have been in the way of using the site. These were raised with screenshots and other information allowing it to be reviewed by the ad network and were resolved.

So here's a screenshot of what I'm getting right now:
1662403751310.png

I understand that the ads support the site. What bothers me is that they are not all along the edge of the screen, or something similar. Right now, they are blocking most of the content. That seems rather silly.

I understand that the ads support the site. What bothers me is that they are not all along the edge of the screen, or something similar. Right now, they are blocking most of the content. That seems rather silly.
I have heard that the revenue from non-intrusive ads is almost nonexistent. People are desensitized to side banner ads, virtually no one pays attention to them anymore, even people without adblockers.

Thing is that Internet forums can be relatively cheap to run if you don't mind them looking like a bare bones 90s website (which i don't mind), they don't have to be so expensive that they can't survive on the occasional donations.

Last edited:
If you think the forums are bad, just look at YouTube. Loud, obnoxious ads on every video. Sometimes 2 and not skippable. Making people pay £10 a month for premium. Only way to get peace from the spam.

ok I tried it myself. I logged out, deactivated adblocker and all addons, allowed the "adthrive" and then I saw it the first time: ads. lol.

what a journey lol.

saw that banner the first time ever in this forum lol:

1662833414942.png

In this day and age I'd think most people would have sought the use of ad blockers and tracker blockers. Not just third-party extensions, but to make the most of whatever privacy functions are built directly into whatever browser they use.

Using both internal and external extensions can pretty much eliminate the sight of most advertising.

Plus if you use Windows, you can purge a lot of the internal data Microsoft collects on you by using freeware programs like Glary Utilities 5.0. Which goes well beyond eliminating trackers and cookies.

In Linux I use freeware programs like Stacer and BleachBit to purge such intrusions apart from third-party extensions and whatever my browsers can do when it comes to security and privacy.

Last edited:
I noticed the 8-Ball Pool app has a lot of ads now. Very loud ones. They go away after you purchase something.

Ads. Ads. Ads. That's all the web is today!

Im on mobile and they cover up the entire screen and it’s really annoying it’s making my head hurt. I was in the middle of replying and a McDonald’s ad popped up and covered the entire screen and there was no way to make it go away I was so mad.

New Threads

Top Bottom