• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Today I threw away a decade of junk.

Iamnotarabot

Well I am suppose to move in a couple of month so the best I can do is to get rid off the most of the stuff I can.

And I decided to clean my room of most of the things I could.I still have some documentations related to my previous years in hightschool and college that I am not sure what to do with.

But 75% of my useless stuff has been taken care of.

It was a bit emotionnel to revisit some old objects but now my room is clean and so is my head ( a little bit more.)

I'm happy about it and wanted to talk about it, is anyone here facing the same problem at home with rooms full of ancient useless stuff? Throw it away !:D

Yeah, I once had an 8 by 12 foot shed filled with all sorts of crazy stuff, boxes and boxes of old newspapers and magazines and stuff from high school (I hated HS, so I have no idea why I kept it) and even old toys from my childhood. Once I got my OCD treated I cleaned out the whole shed and held several big yard sales and filled my grandfather's old pickup (he died in 2009, so this obviously was LONG ago) several times over with stuff to take to the garbage dump. The newspapers and magazines went to recycling. When my parents built their retirement home my dad and grandpa cut the shed up and moved it to the new land and rebuilt it. It's still out back. I only have about 8 boxes that are half full of the stuff I most wanted to keep. (I had maybe 50 or 60 boxes at the outset.) I put it in my mom's garage. If the boxes were destroyed in a fire I wouldn't really care. The only stuff I kept is stuff that's irreplaceable like my records and CD's from my childhood, some books, and the boxes. The stuff really has no value to anybody but me.

It must feel great to have cleared out your space! I am unable to think, or to feel relaxed in a cluttered environment, but, since I am a minimalist and haven't collected much of anything, appart from music/albums, beach rocks and driftwood, I've never had to get rid of much, but, can imagine how freeing it must be. Enjoy your space, and all the best with your move!

I am a minimalist and haven't collected much of anything
I want to organise my surroundings like this, I mean I think that with my attention deficit, having a flat full of stuff just add even more problems.

The stuff really has no value to anybody but me.
This is the hardest part, I cried when I get ride of things related to old memories, but they are ugly and useless now, I keep what is still practical and good looking.

I'm the opposite, I lean towards being a packrat but it doesn't bother me... I have a large collection of vintage photos and a few other collectables that I enjoy

And some might describe my personal space as cluttered, but it doesn't bother me, actually I don't like a place that is "too clean"

My main issue is keeping paper items for too long, I can find all sorts of paper items, I often find a church bulletin that is two years old, not because I wanted to keep it (like a hoarder will say), simply because I forgot that I kept it, I can easily recycle something like that when I do find it...

I wish I could Iamarobot. Have a house-full of things that belonged to my husband's grandparents. Have done quite a bit of donating and throwing away. Although I wish it were more. Would like to give away and throw away many more things.

Yup, I cleaned out and it feels great.

I also have a rule. If I acquire a new thing, I have throw away or give away at least one old thing.

If I see something I wish to squire, I ask myself if I love it before getting it.

These two rules help me a lot.

Is everyone in a cleaning mood?
I did the same today @lamnotarabot.
The storage drawers under the bed, all other drawers and cabinets in my room.
Still have the closet to go through. Probably a lot of clothes will get donated.

The stuff had been in there for years and most of it was hundreds of CDs and cassette tapes.
A lot of them I had made from when I used to do Karaoke. Many just personal albums I had
collected through the years from singers I like.
Old jewelry I haven't worn in years. Don't wear jewelry much anymore.
Yes, it sure brought back memories of my life before the big change.
Getting ready to paint and have new flooring put in is what prompted mine.
Have another room just full of old papers and business stuff.
That's going to take a long time to go through.
Got to be done though.

I throw away anything that isn't useful!

Stuffed animals and things shaped like ducks are useful, just to be clear. :cool:

I love getting rid of stuff I don't need. My grandma died recently and I had a great time going through her flat and selling/donating 99.9% of her stuff. My mum says that next time I visit them I can help her clean out the loft, exciting! I'm a minimalist so I don't have much stuff to begin with, so I have to persuade other people to let me clear out their junk for them.

Well I am suppose to move in a couple of month so the best I can do is to get rid off the most of the stuff I can.

And I decided to clean my room of most of the things I could.I still have some documentations related to my previous years in hightschool and college that I am not sure what to do with.

But 75% of my useless stuff has been taken care of.

It was a bit emotionnel to revisit some old objects but now my room is clean and so is my head ( a little bit more.)

I'm happy about it and wanted to talk about it, is anyone here facing the same problem at home with rooms full of ancient useless stuff? Throw it away !:D
I wish I could do this! I too have tons of stuff I really need to chuck out but just can't bring myself to do. Clothes from years ago that wouldn't even fit me anymore, even old odd socks and let's not even mention stacks and stacks of magazines. I'm a Trucker and buy all the Trucking Magazines and have copies going back over ten years. My Mrs is always nagging me to get rid of them but in my mind I might need them one day, even though deep down I know I won't ever read them or even glance at them again, but somehow just knowing they're there is comforting, even though the space created by getting rid would be really handy.
I only ever tend to wear the same type of clothes, black, grey or navy blue. I like work trousers, jeans and dark tops which probably accounts for 10% of my entire wardrobe of garments, the rest I won't ever consider wearing but still can't get rid.
Of course, common sense dictates that the sensible thing to do I know would be to dump everything I no longer use but me being me just can't bring myself to throw it out.

Is everyone in a cleaning mood?

Maybe the beginning of the year feels like a moment when we want to get things done, I didnt do any year resolution but im doing some changes in my life for sur!
I hope you can finish the job!

I'm a minimalist so I don't have much stuff to begin with, so I have to persuade other people to let me clear out their junk for them.

You must like to help other then!
Id realy like to live lile that when ill be on my own.

I wish I could do this! I too have tons of stuff I really need to chuck out but just can't bring myself to do. Clothes from years ago that wouldn't even fit me anymore, even old odd socks and let's not even mention stacks and stacks of magazines. I'm a Trucker and buy all the Trucking Magazines and have copies going back over ten years. My Mrs is always nagging me to get rid of them but in my mind I might need them one day, even though deep down I know I won't ever read them or even glance at them again, but somehow just knowing they're there is comforting, even though the space created by getting rid would be really handy.
I only ever tend to wear the same type of clothes, black, grey or navy blue. I like work trousers, jeans and dark tops which probably accounts for 10% of my entire wardrobe of garments, the rest I won't ever consider wearing but still can't get rid.
Of course, common sense dictates that the sensible thing to do I know would be to dump everything I no longer use but me being me just can't bring myself to throw it out.
Well maybe you can keep some of the magazines that you like the most and those that are in better shape.
I have 3 differents colors of clothing aswell xD

We're cleaning out the big walk-in closet this weekend. There are clothes in there over 15 years old. I'm going to donate everything that does not fit or we haven't worn in the past year to charity.

I throw away anything that isn't useful!

Stuffed animals and things shaped like ducks are useful, just to be clear. :cool:
I still have my stuffed animals, as well, although, I never had a collection of them, per se. : )

Last edited:
I'm just the opposite. Too prone to toss away things that I later regret doing. :eek:

My OCD can't handle much clutter.

I'm just the opposite. Too prone to toss away things that I later regret doing. :eek:

My OCD can't handle much clutter.
It's interesting, the way that OCD can manifest as opposite behaviors of either, collecting or purging...

Too prone to toss away things that I later regret doing.
Well I have done that aswell years ago ! But now I take my time to clean. It is more related to my attention deficit I guess, I almost did throw important documents this week xD

Someone in the neightbourhood where I live spends all night gathering old journals and piles them in his flat and boxe!

Where you moving too? Your own place? Unless of course it is personal.
My parents are moving and I am moving with them. I was talking about how I want to live when I will be on my own in this thread just to talk about it, I am soon 27 and my goal is to be able to do so when I will be 30.

I'm kind of in between. I can easily throw things away or take them to Goodwill, but I also keep and display a lot of 'stuff'. My ex got furious at me one day. I had decided to clean out the desk so he could put newer mail and papers in it instead of all over the dining room table. I was careful to place things in boxes the same way they were in the drawers in case I needed to put it all back (he had bills from 1980's - why can't they just be in a box somewhere?) He was so mad, he cussed me out and was very mean about my even touching his stuff. It made me mad so I put the stuff back - but not in the same order. He's more of a hoarder.
I like having stuff around that I enjoy looking at - my walls are covered with enlargements - mostly photos I've taken out west and a few of family here and there. :) But I do like everything neat and organized. Maybe that's partly it - it gives me something to re-organize from time to time. Okay, often. lol

New Threads

Top Bottom