• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

To whom and how to tell I have Aspergers?

Alleah

Hello everybody, I would like to ask you for some advice. I'm 24 y.o. and I have been recently diagnosed with Aspergers. I think everybody around me kind of knows that there’s something different about me and now I finally have an explanation for all that weirdness. But I wonder to whom is appropriate to tell about my Aspergers and how to tell it? How did you announced that you have Aspergers to your family/friends/colleagues?

There is probably no one 'correct answer'. For myself I have told my spouse and a few family members. But it is no big surprise for them as others in my family have it as well.

Hey Alleah. Same situation here, as people around me just kind of sense that I don't fit in as well as others. I was told off as a child in my primary years. Therefore, I'm not that comfortable at actively sharing it with acquaintances. After I found out, I decided not to do anything about it, to just go with the flow, and to tell them only if they asked first. Now, only 2-3 of my close friends, my mother, and some teachers of mine know about this whole Asperger's situation. Then again, you are free to tell whoever you want, if you are comfortable. Welcome to the forum, and I'm sure that you would have a nice time looking around as well.

I think, from hearing how others here feel about it and have gone through after telling the wrong people, when you're younger it may or may not have consequences. You need to weigh those consequences in deciding who may or may not need to know. I think I feel differently about it personally because at my age it doesn't matter. I don't have a job or school that it could affect.
Use the knowledge to help yourself get through life.

Keep your own counsel .

Think of it as a secret weapon.

Your knowledge gives you the secret of learning to deal with people differently.

To learn their ways.

You can be our 'spy' reporting back on all those unusual 'normal' people. :)

It was easy for me, because my husband was there, when I was diagnosed and those who know me, accepted even before I got my diagnosis, but now I have, it is like: no more do I get nagged for not doing things.

But, my situation is different from most, due to my faith.

Personally I tell people on a need to know basis only, as it's a private matter and I don't like to be prejudged.

I would be very careful about who I told. You would be amazed what some people think if you tell them. Like Progster said, "Need to know basis only".

I only tell someone if them not knowing is having a negative impact on my life over a long period of time and I believe telling them will help with that problem.

Hey Alleah. Same situation here, as people around me just kind of sense that I don't fit in as well as others. I was told off as a child in my primary years. Therefore, I'm not that comfortable at actively sharing it with acquaintances. After I found out, I decided not to do anything about it, to just go with the flow, and to tell them only if they asked first. Now, only 2-3 of my close friends, my mother, and some teachers of mine know about this whole Asperger's situation. Then again, you are free to tell whoever you want, if you are comfortable. Welcome to the forum, and I'm sure that you would have a nice time looking around as well.

i just keep mine hidden from potential girlfriends.from one aspie to another,i suggest you do the same with yours:keeping it hidden from any girl who you may interest !

Welcome to the forums! I keep my diagnosis strictly as a need to know only item. I told my whole family when I was diagnosed and things turned out horrible because of it.. Never again..

i just keep mine hidden from potential girlfriends.from one aspie to another,i suggest you do the same with yours:keeping it hidden from any girl who you may interest !
Ehhhh... I'm not interested in any girls yet, probably because I'm too young :p, but thank you for the advice nonetheless.

I don't tell people unless I know they are good. My family knows of course. My pastor at the church I attend knows. However any acquaintances I meet I don't say unless I know they are trustworthy.

If you are not sure who to tell, better to not disclose. It is one of those things that has to be earned or you find out by happenstance. I found out a friend of mine was also on the spectrum when we both joined a social aspie group. This made us closer friends as a result.

I also know that my colleagues and other people applying for my department are "one of us" because the program is focused on people on the spectrum.

Don't people know already? I know I stick out like a sore thumb during social events. Or I think I do.

Oh that's an easy one.

Just walk near a bee. If you automatically run as fast as you can away from it, you're Autistic.

Or just scared of bees. I dunno.

Nope many people are scared of bees one my non Aspergers cousin is.
865768d937e074e10f2760e4d08077c6.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom