• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

'Tis Confusion (left vs right and others)

LadyS

One eye permanently raised it seems...
V.I.P Member
Not sure if this is autism related, but does anyone else still get their left and right mixed up? For me, even now, when put on the spot, my mind blanks out and I have to take a moment to get my bearings. Has never come naturally to me (I'm left-handed if that matters).

It's the same when using pronouns, his vs her. Often when telling a story I'll say "him" or "his" by accident when referring to a woman and vice versa. And now with all new pronouns popping up, my brain is REALLY screwed now. Always will have to correct myself because....

f3fc3d728a68ee2f10970d89cbaf5134728428fae931c11b2afebeb41aba6d20.jpg

Anyone else have similar mix ups?

Last edited:
I don't get mixed up on pronouns at all. Right and left. Yes. The way I've known to confirm which is right or left is that I broke a finger badly as a child and it never healed correctly. When I have to know which is which, I've always flexed my hands which shows me which finger is stiff and confirms which is right and which is left.

I always had to mark my sparring shoes with a tape "L" on my left foot in karate classes so I knew which was left. I still can't tell left from right without stopping to think about it, and if I'm under pressure, will always pick the exact wrong one while driving. I'm nearly 40 and still have to point and say "that way!". Its embarrassing, but its also a legitimate learning disorder, so I don't feel TOO bad about it.

I get right and left mixed up. Especially when I’m driving but I don’t drive much anymore. Don’t ask me for directions. Lol.

I don’t get pronouns confused most of the time but I have a hard time with the ones that are not he, she, or they. I’m not being intentionally insensitive, it’s just hard to wrap my head around. Even as a nonbinary trans person. I usually default to “they” if a pronoun is confusing or difficult for me but I can also see how some people might consider that offensive. :/
As far as misgendering trans people I have had very few screwups. And if I do, I apologize a lot and don’t make the mistake again. People misgender me a lot because I’m very neutral looking. I don’t generally care what pronouns people use for me but I don’t like being referred to as “female” or a “woman.” She/they pronouns are ok I guess but not my favorite. I prefer “guy” or “person.” Idk, I know it’s confusing for some people but I don’t have a good sense of how to identify yet. Most people, at least where I’m currently living, seem to default to he/him which I don’t mind. But there are still a fair amount of people who address me as she/her. Weird. I have a pretty androgynous face and hairstyle. And a curvy female body. So it’s open to interpretation I guess. When I was skinny everyone thought I was male.
So yeah… I can see how some people get tripped up with pronouns. I’m a good example of that.

my issue is I was ambidexterous, before the stroke. left right made little difference at least not until I tried to learn how to play guitar The instructor on the DVD waited until the fifth lecture to explain how to hold the instrument. I had it backwards and upside down. Very frustrating.

I experience a delay in processing/deciphering left vs. right, as well. Although, not so significantly that it has impacted my life. Like you, I am left handed.

I get left and right mixed up too. Not significantly but it happens. I always leave my shoes side by side because if I find them scattered it can take a few seconds to figure it out.

my issue is I was ambidexterous, before the stroke. left right made little difference at least not until I tried to learn how to play guitar The instructor on the DVD waited until the fifth lecture to explain how to hold the instrument. I had it backwards and upside down. Very frustrating.

I am ambidexreous too. I was born right handed but I can do most things with either hand except writing quickly. I can write with my left hand but I am slow at it.

When I was a kid I wanted to learn to knit. So I decided to teach myself. It was a disaster but I kept trying. It took me 20 years to figure out that the problem was that while instructions were written for right handed people I kept trying to do them left handed! :p

After the stroke I gave writing with my left hand a good shot, no therapy had to make my own due to Covid. Was making good head way now realize the stroke effected my sense of feeling not strength, or dexterity.

Yes, I confuse left and right, and the way I remember it, I write with my right hand. Not to say that there's anything 'wrong' about the left hand :)
I don't, or rarely, mix up pronouns, except when under stress maybe.

I too Write with my right hand. The homophone makes speedy recall easier.

When much younger (7yrs or so) I was interested (obsessed) with gymnastics.
I attended clubs.

Initially, on performing a move or sequence, I led with my left side but would try to place my mostly dominant hand (right) down first.
- if you've ever seen moves called cartwheels or round offs in action, you'll know what came naturally to me was potentially back breaking.

A coach trained me to lead from my right. Since then, I can't remember having any great difficulty mixing up the two sides.

I too Write with my right hand. The homophone makes speedy recall easier.

When much younger (7yrs or so) I was interested (obsessed) with gymnastics.
I attended clubs.

Initially, on performing a move or sequence, I led with my left side but would try to place my mostly dominant hand (right) down first.
- if you've ever seen moves called cartwheels or round offs in action, you'll know what came naturally to me was potentially back breaking.

A coach trained me to lead from my right. Since then, I can't remember having any great difficulty mixing up the two sides.
I did gymnastics too, and was a figure skater, when I was thinner and more able-bodied :)

The figure skating must have been really enjoyable :)
I could roller skate but not ice skate or figure skate.

I know what you mean by being younger, thinner and more mobile :D
It was!! :)
I always wanted to play ice hockey but I’m pretty sure I’m under 5 foot tall and when I was a teenager I weighed less than my dogs :tearsofjoy:

The figure skating must have been really enjoyable :)
I could roller skate but not ice skate or figure skate.

I know what you mean by being younger, thinner and more mobile :D

Me too! I am short so I have a lower center of gravity. That "center of gravity" keeps getting lower every year! If I did fall down I would probably just bounce! :p

I don't get mixed up on pronouns at all. Right and left. Yes. The way I've known to confirm which is right or left is that I broke a finger badly as a child and it never healed correctly. When I have to know which is which, I've always flexed my hands which shows me which finger is stiff and confirms which is right and which is left.
Nice jingle, when breaking bones comes with advantages.

Wish I could skate :(. I'm on the taller side so higher center of gravity coupled with poor balance and coordination was never a good combo in learning how when I was younger.

I also get left and right mixed up. I was ambidextrous until I was in first grade but was made to only use my right hand to write in school. It was considered a handicap to be left handed in the early 1950's so all left handed students were taught to write with their right hand.

I also get left and right mixed up. I was ambidextrous until I was in first grade but was made to only use my right hand to write in school. It was considered a handicap to be left handed in the early 1950's so all left handed students were taught to write with their right hand.
I was forced to use my right hand for certain activities as well due to cultural taboos. And was bullied for being left-handed by family.

Rather than directional issues I had difficulties with balance and proprioception, knowing where my body is in space. This was a real problem for me learning how to canoe and ski. Whitewater paddling especially requires dynamic balance and control. Eventually I put in the time to be capable in class IV water.

New Threads

Top Bottom