• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

JellyBean

Your local hug-dealer
I'm diagnosed with asperger myself but I'm still unsure how to write my characters. Right now I'm writing about a girl with aspergers beginning on a School for witches, and befriending other students diagnosed with ADHD, borderline, dyslexia, depression and anxiety.
Do any of you have any tips?

I am writing a book at the moment about an aspie, all you have to do is write, and trust me, it will end up being aspie whether you intend it to be or not. :p

Don't write them like they're walking diagnoses. That's the best advice I can give you. Treat them as any other character but make small injections of these characteristics and symptoms in appropriate scenes.

Write in reverse, where the ASD world is what is deemed as NORMAL... List the glitches of the NT's instead.
Just a bad thought, but I thought I would pass it on. Good luck on your project.

Is this loosely based on your personal life story? That's actually a great approach to apply when writing a story about a person with Asperger's, because you already know what you're going through and can easily apply it to your character. If you decide to publish it though, I'd advise against putting in any personal detailed stories that are very unique to you if they happen to involve any rotten apples (bullies, etc.), in order to avoid any potential trouble in case those same people happen to come across your story and give it a read.

I'm diagnosed with asperger myself but I'm still unsure how to write my characters. Right now I'm writing about a girl with aspergers beginning on a School for witches, and befriending other students diagnosed with ADHD, borderline, dyslexia, depression and anxiety.
Do any of you have any tips?

My tips are dependent on whether you actually know people who have the types of diagnoses that you mentioned. I do not think it is a good idea to write in characters with these diagnoses unless you do know people who have them.

The reason for this is that many people on this forum have mentioned resentment about inaccurate portrayals of people who have Aspergers or other kinds of Autism Spectrum. It is hard to be accurate and sympathetic about such portrayals without personal acquaintance with people who have the diagnoses you mentioned. I don't think someone with such other diagnoses would like being inaccurately portrayed any better than people on the Autism Spectrum do.

If you do not know people who have your mentioned diagnoses, and you are still determined to write about them, it might help to meet people who have those diagnoses. I think attending support groups for people with such diagnoses might help. You might even make friends and learn more.

New Threads

Top Bottom