• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tips For Donating to A Food Pantry

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
We are coming up on the Holiday Season, and for a lot of us, an important part of our traditions include donating food to people less fortunate.

When donating to a food bank, many people make the error of only donating things like canned goods, boxed macaroni and cheese, dry beans, etc.

Do you eat those things at home? I doubt it. And besides, what good is boxed mac and cheese without the milk and butter it requires?

Donate the things that your family eats daily. Don't donate dry beans. I guarantee those will probably never be used. Honestly, the only kind of beans that will most likely get used are refried or black beans.

Canned and dry goods are helpful, but what families really need are meat, vegetables, milk, cheese, eggs, butter, yogurt, fruit, lunchmeat, ready made sandwiches, salads, and snacks, vegan options, gluten/dairy free options, etc. Make sure that what you donate are the kinds of food that people of your culture would commonly eat and know how to prepare.

There is so much demand, that the donated food is going to be cycled out of the food bank within a day or two, and the customers of the food pantries are desperate for food today, so the groceries will be eaten very quickly, not stored for long term use.

Last edited:
Great thoughts!

If you live in a small community, call ahead to be sure there is adequate refigeration for your donation. When I worked for a dairy we often donated milk and butter but sometimes our donation would get refused due to inadequate refigeration. Sometimes we could work with a coordinator to donate on distribution days so it was less of an issue.

Or just donate money! There may be less of a feel good feeling to donate a check instead of bags of food but food pantries often have deals with companies and farms and that allows them to make their money go farther than yours will. They can also purchase much more fresh food and things people actually need that way.

Great thoughts!

If you live in a small community, call ahead to be sure there is adequate refigeration for your donation. When I worked for a dairy we often donated milk and butter but sometimes our donation would get refused due to inadequate refigeration. Sometimes we could work with a coordinator to donate on distribution days so it was less of an issue.
In the UK people donate uht plant milk, so it lasts and wouldn't cause an infection, but they stipulate NO baked beans get too many, no pasta !,as I believe in veganism they won't be getting tortured animal products from me and that's what they request,one of our supermarkets had a specific donate page so they could deliver a lot ,food bank requests have gone up exponentially ,I take all the sauces I don't use ,cereal ,tea bags,instant coffee and food that doesn't need heating, in case they don't have utilities connected ,also food for pets ,as apparently it doesn't matter if animals starve to some people.

Last edited:
In the UK people donate uht plant milk so it lasts and wouldn't cause an infection but they stipulate NO baked beans get too many no pasta as I believe in veganism they won't be getting tortured animal products from me and that's what they request,one our supermarkets had a specific donate page so they could deliver a lot ,food bank requests have gone up exponentially I take all the sauces I don't use ,cereal ,tea bags,instant coffee and food that doesn't need heating in case they don't have utilities connected ,also food for pets as apparently it doesn't matter if animals starve to some people

UHT cows milk is not sold in the US except for 8 oz (210ml) size. But we have it in Mexico and I love it! I usually keep 10 liters onboard our boat. It is lovely to never run out of milk!

UHT cows milk is not sold in the US except for 8 oz (210ml) size. But we have it in Mexico and I love it! I usually keep 10 liters onboard our boat. It is lovely to never run out of milk!
Can't stand lactose like oat milk alpro barista style ,if you buy a dehydrator you can donate foods you have and a vacuum sealer ,wish my supermarket would start the grocery \toiletry donation page again there's just financial donations on the website,there's a petition to keep the extra £20 for people on benefits and to allow businesses to payback loans more slowly but it's creeping into politics stopping

And informative to help the vegan society target businesses

New Threads

Top Bottom