• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Time to beat my head against a wall again...

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
In other words, entering a competition in my camera club, where it seems like I've never good enough to win because

A) Admittedly there are a lot of very good photographers in the club

B) Plus no one seems to get my approach to photography anyway

Back in the fall I swore I wouldn't compete again after a bad experience, but decided to compete again for a B&W competition... And I also volunteered to judge so I just saw how amazing some of the photos are, do I stand a chance of winning a ribbon, hard to say...

Photo #1

Urban shadows, probably my strongest entry, sheer observation

Shadows 01.jpg

Photo #2

A big of a wild card, I think the only photo in the competition shot at ISO 6400, but then that is my favourite approach to night photography rather than all the people who do long exposures, this one is a soft image (I know that) while it was snowing hard making it even softer, but I think it tells a story, I've often gone against the grain in my approach anyway

Evening Snow.jpg

And in many ways it's not that important, only a camera club competition, I think this is a personal test of how I'll react, maybe I'll be surprised, what I score isn't my self esteem...

Last edited:
Not to put out the obvious. But, take into account the various emotional states of your compensatiors it plays a part.

Not to put out the obvious. But, take into account the various emotional states of your compensatiors it plays a part.

Part of it is that where I live in Calgary, the vast majority of photographers do nature photography, that's also where I go against the grain :p, I find that the nature photographers (particularly when assigning scores) have trouble understanding my photos that are far more urban, I'm trying to learn to not care... Among other things I enjoy doing night street photography, shooting at ISO 6400 and low shutter speeds, because I like that approach, I don't think many people do that... :rolleyes:

Part of it is that where I live in Calgary, the vast majority of photographers do nature photography, that's also where I go against the grain :p, I find that the nature photographers (particularly when assigning scores) have trouble understanding my photos that are far more urban, I'm trying to learn to not care...

Ah! A most interesting subject to take pictures of. Plus I suspect more challenging?

Also the person alone in all those seats brings a feeling of isolation, surrounded by the achievements of society - an seemingly empty city.

Update: The shadow photo did well, scored second in my division... The night photo didn't do as well, it was my wild card entry, probably not the kind of photo that would do well, "It's a very soft image" - of course it is, that was the intent, the snow that night made everything soft, and that was what I wanted, probably won't ever score well in the perfectionist world of camera clubs, but at some point in the future I could probably do an exhibit of similar photos I've taken (at night, hand held, snow falling, etc...)

:p

I know little about photography but I know I loved both of those photographs.

Excellent achievement with getting placed 2nd.
Job well done :)

New Threads

Top Bottom