• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

[Time-Sensitive] Disclose of Disability on Job Application

23andaspie

aspie ordinary
I don't want to stall too long over this matter, but I was just now applying for a position at Samsung (software development) and the last part of their application included this section on disability.

I have never ever in the past seen this included on any job application (at least not in my field of work). They often ask race/veteran status (as do non-job applications), and sometimes disability comes up, but with a specific subset of conditions that they accept. This one actually lists autism. And of course, this form is optional -- but would is be to my advantage or disadvantage?

First line:
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities.
Also:
If you are applying for a job, any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way.
Their list of disabilities includes blindness, deafness, cancer, diabetes, epilepsy, autism, etc.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.

The way it is stated to me implies it can only work to my advantage -- because of their government relationship, they have a quota they have to fill basically (correct me if I interpreted this wrong). Also, even if this isn't used in the hiring process, having "reasonable accommodation" is something I have wished I could have in the previous places of employment, as I have so much troubling concentrating in noisy office spaces which reduces my productivity.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
EDIT: Attaching a screen shot of the disability disclosure form.

Attachments

• Voluntary-Self-Identification-of-Disability.png
    Voluntary-Self-Identification-of-Disability.png
    35 KB · Views: 4,577
I myself disclosed my AS to my employer as I feel it takes everybody being on the same page to make my work life safe and enjoyable. They know that I am easily stressed or quickly thrown off balance by sudden changes. So they help me be successful. Mike

I myself disclosed my AS to my employer as I feel it takes everybody being on the same page to make my work life safe and enjoyable. They know that I am easily stressed or quickly thrown off balance by sudden changes. So they help me be successful. Mike

Thanks. I admire the courageous in doing so, it is often a tough decision to make (having been tied up on this in the past). But I think I will go forward in disclosing with this, just waiting in case any other replies come though soon.

It sounds like it would be to your advantage, but specify your functioning level as well, so that they have a clearer picture of who you are and, how much or little ASD affects you.

I disclose it now. The environment seems so much less hostile now. I just applied to SAP to be a Senior Support Engineer in a traveling role.

I have only ever disclosed any disability after i have been offered a job. I only suggest any one else do the same UNLESS it is a job program/company that is specifically geared toward promoting careers among a certain population [there are some tech companies, for example that aim to hire those on the spectrum as much as possible]. This is not that situation as you have presented it, nor am I aware of this being SAMSUNG's stance.

My advice stands- do not disclose anything until you are offered the job.

ETA: To clarify?
With the exception of a few minority situations, in the US you are entitled to reasonable accomodation in any place of employment regarding any disability or health related issue that falls under ADA. That covers a LOT of things.

You would be covered whether you disclose prior to being hired or after. This is why [in the past when i could work] I would disclose after- I have no idea what other people may or may not think they know about what I am telling them about a medical condition and how that may affect my chances of being hired.

During my days working for a employer, I didn't know that I had AS. I was diagnosed a couple of months after I started my own business. If I had to fill out a application now, I do not think that I would say anything about AS, simply because I am not disabled. In the OP's case it sounds advantages to mention the Autism, however I would be sure you had all the facts and give it a lot of thought.

I have only ever disclosed any disability after i have been offered a job. I only suggest any one else do the same UNLESS it is a job program/company that is specifically geared toward promoting careers among a certain population [there are some tech companies, for example that aim to hire those on the spectrum as much as possible]. This is not that situation as you have presented it, nor am I aware of this being SAMSUNG's stance.

My advice stands- do not disclose anything until you are offered the job.

ETA: To clarify?
With the exception of a few minority situations, in the US you are entitled to reasonable accomodation in any place of employment regarding any disability or health related issue that falls under ADA. That covers a LOT of things.

You would be covered whether you disclose prior to being hired or after. This is why [in the past when i could work] I would disclose after- I have no idea what other people may or may not think they know about what I am telling them about a medical condition and how that may affect my chances of being hired.

Yeah but accommodations are not my primary motivation for disclosing anyways -- if that were the case then I would simply choose not to disclose. It's this earlier statement which to me implies it would be to my advantage for actually getting hired because as a requirement because of their work with the US government. Please let me know if I am interpreting this incorrectly.
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities.
An emphasis on "reach out" and "hire" as stated is where I see the advantage in disclosure prior.

My hesitancy is... how do you know they don't give priority to, say, those with OCD over those with ASD's? Or those with anxiety?

I don't know that it actually gives you an advantage. And i don't think they actually have to hire a certain number. They just need to make it clear they are willing to and state they don't discriminate. If you don't know the policy to the letter, look it up and be sure you do so you don't mess yourself up- if you are informed, you have the best tools at your disposal. Merely making assumptions on limited wording likely isn't giving you the entire picture.

My hesitancy is... how do you know they don't give priority to, say, those with OCD over those with ASD's? Or those with anxiety?

I don't know that it actually gives you an advantage. And i don't think they actually have to hire a certain number. They just need to make it clear they are willing to and state they don't discriminate. If you don't know the policy to the letter, look it up and be sure you do so you don't mess yourself up- if you are informed, you have the best tools at your disposal. Merely making assumptions on limited wording likely isn't giving you the entire picture.

That was a big part of my concern which prompted me to post this in the first place. In theory, what's stated is not always how things are really done. Whether they admit/realize it or not, some people have underlying stereotypes and beliefs about people with disabilities, so it's expected that not everyone on the employing end is going to adhere to that statement as worded.

I did a bit of research on Samsung, and I'm certain that you know that they have expanded their software development a great deal. Likely why you are applying in the first place. I think the corporate environment is such that there is a upper management level that reports to the Korean based main office, most decisions seem to be made there.

Management outside of Korea does not make that many decisions, they simply keep employees doing their jobs. In that sort of corporate environment, the difficulties are that decisions made seem to take a good deal of time. Mandatory overtime seems normal, people working in some cases seventy hour weeks. One of the things I thought of as a red flag was that questions are often ignored. It was a sort of sink or swim attitude, that was the overall impression I found in material that I read about the company. It may well be that software development has a different corporate atmosphere.

If I were applying for this job, I would not disclose that I have ASD, it may or may not be considered a 'weakness' of some sort for the people doing the hiring. Koreans that I have personally known, view disability and illness of any sort as a weakness, culturally. Few people know or understand Asperger's enough to be able to accommodate to their needs, and what they do know are often savant stories or about high functioning individuals with genius level skills.

With something like software development I would be confident to disclose. If the company has any wit about them they will realise that Asperger's can be advantageous to them.

However, as a general rule I would not disclose until the interview.

New Threads

Top Bottom