• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Through The Eyes Of Normalcy

Riley

I understand a lot of normies don't like us spectrums. Me? Haven't faced much hate aside from my brother and niece. So I gotta ask:
  • Why do mean people call us 'retards'?
  • Why do people wanna cure autism/aspergers? I'm pretty sure if I didn't have it, I wouldn't be as charming as I am today. Or love Batman & Robin.

Why do mean people call us 'retards'?

Because we can't always communicate as well as they can. What they fail to see is that a lot of us are more intelligent than they are. It's either that or they think having a disability means you're retarded. I hate that word. I really do.

Why do people wanna cure autism/aspergers?

Because we don't behave like they do and they're mostly intolerant of people being different. A lot of them see it as wrong or unappealing.

It's not the same as curing but I'm not against ABA. I think acting differently makes our lives more difficult. Yes, we shouldn't need to change ourselves to be accepted but that's just not the world we live it, and I don't think that'll ever happen. By acting differently we get ostracised and targeted for hate crime. And that's not good for anyone's self esteem or mental health.

i agree with southern discomfort, we are called retarded as an insult because of when south park appeared around 1995,it brought the word 'retarded' into mainstream society unfortunately.
i have 'mild mental retardation' on my records, and i absolutely despise the word, because it basically means you are mentally slow,im not slow-none of us who have it are,i and everyone else struggle with processing and understanding information and adapting our thinking and behavior according to that,but i dont think slow,ive got a lightning fast sense of humour even if it is rude as hell and i continuously get told 'youve crossed the line' or 'thats innapropriate behavior emma' [gah,they continue to use my original female name].

i might have 'mentally retarded' as a label but im not 'retarded',the people who use the word 'retard' are 'retarded' because they cannot get it through their heads what the term means and how the connotations of the word echo back to when hitler called us 'useless eaters'.
one more thing on this subject,i made a new video on my channel about intellectual disability yesterday,not very indepth but i also touch on the subject of 'retard',i dont know if it would interest you.

i have LFA and hate the idea of a cure,i am incredibly pissed off at the number of people in the autistic or autism community who fight to stop people wanting a cure for aspergers/HFA and they do incredible work to cut down on the stigma and connotations of aspergers;but at the same time they back up the autism parents who continuously want to see a cure for LFA,without asking us,they just assume because we have a more complex disability and are far more distant from NTs than aspie so will never have a 'normal life' that we need curing.
sorry no thankyou,screw your cure theories and put all that campaigning effort to stopping the stigma,the stereotyping and the tragedy filled drama that haunts LFA.
LFA isnt a tragedy,but not having the right support and understanding is.

toothless

"i made a new video on my channel about intellectual disability yesterday,not very indepth but i also touch on the subject of 'retard',i dont know if it would interest you."

On your youtube channel?
:) I want to see it/hear it.....

toothless

"i made a new video on my channel about intellectual disability yesterday,not very indepth but i also touch on the subject of 'retard',i dont know if it would interest you."

On your youtubechannel?
hi tree sorry i didnt include the link as im not on my own computer,yes its on my YT channel,i will be adding it to the blog later.

I understand a lot of normies don't like us spectrums. Me? Haven't faced much hate aside from my brother and niece. So I gotta ask:
  • Why do people wanna cure autism/aspergers? I'm pretty sure if I didn't have it, I wouldn't be as charming as I am today. Or love Batman & Robin.
Mostly they are just being lazy, selfish and stupid....it is easier for them to make fun of us and demand we do everything the way they want it....then take the time to understand us and see how much we color bring to life.
Most great writers inventers artists and even scientists are likely on the spectrum in some way.
NTs grab all the money but they are kind of boring and get old fast.

...because people can be very small minded, but that's okay. Don't ever beat yourself up just because someone doesn't like you. Having Asperger's, people either love us or hate us, I find myself there's very little in-between. Indulge in your hobbies, attend interest groups, mingle with co-workers...places where you'll have things to talk about instead of trying to force small talk (boring, am I right?).

People are still narrow minded in this day in age to judge people based on things like race and religion, so don't be surprised that we're facing recognition issues for being neuro-divergents...it's their fault for having their nose in the air and being so short-sighted, don't waste your time on people that don't appreciate you for you. ☺️

NTs do NOT have all the money either! I promise you that's false. I can readily name 5 very rich and successful Aspies.

One of the reason I'm afraid to let people know I have Asperger's is because I don't want them to suddenly look down on me. I've seen people in my school on the spectrum who get treated like little kids and talked to the way I talk to my cat. It's ridiculous.

mean people call us retards because they dont have the intelligence and patience to be nice people and they like being assholes for no reason.
Im not sure why people wanna cure autism/aspergers ? and poison ivy is pretty hot :)

Tank you! My biggest pet peeve is people who go so far as to think Shrek is attractive. I mean COME ON!

Tank you! My biggest pet peeve is people who go so far as to think Shrek is attractive. I mean COME ON!
my dad use to have or maybe still does have a poster of poison ivy and the only way shrek is attractive is to the females only

mean people call us retards because they dont have the intelligence and patience to be nice people and they like being assholes for no reason.
Im not sure why people wanna cure autism/aspergers ? and poison ivy is pretty hot :)
its nothing to do with intelligence,if that was true people like me who have intellectual disability would be nasty but having been around so many people with ID my whole life i have to say we are the friendliest of the bunch.

people who call us retards arent intellectually void they werent taught manners by their parents and they usually have a mate with them when they call us this so it tends to be because theyre trying to impress their mates.
people who do this also tend to be very ignorant on subjects like disability so they feel threatened by anyone who looks or acts different and to calm their poor self confidence they have to abuse someone around them.
thats my theory anyway.

I once said to a very-likely Autistic boy in my school, "are you retarded?" :( sorry boy. But then a few months later I saw him playing basketball and went up to him and played with him. I don't think he remembered me - probably because people say bad things to him all the time and I was just another one.

The majority of humanity will always fear what they don't understand. I break down the insults into this simple pattern:

"If they fear it, they will try to understand it. If they understand it, they try to control it, if they try to control the problem and fail then they will destroy or discredit it. If they can't destroy/discredit the thing they fear it."
Cycle repeats.

I only learned about my final diagnosis after being tossed out to my mental health clinic (since they refused my SSD) two years ago on a piece of paper. It listed Aspergers and labeled the problem as 'cured'.

I don't know anything about this at all, just that you can't be 'cured' from something like this. And having medical professionals say I was bothered me.

"Cured" is a very short-sighted conclusion, and I absolutely understand how frustrating that would be.

There's no "cure", because you're not sick, we're just different. The best thing you can do for yourself, is simply learn to admit what you can or cannot do, and set your life accordingly as best you can.

Different doesn't mean disabled.

The majority of humanity will always fear what they don't understand. I break down the insults into this simple pattern:

"If they fear it, they will try to understand it. If they understand it, they try to control it, if they try to control the problem and fail then they will destroy or discredit it. If they can't destroy/discredit the thing they fear it."
Cycle repeats.

I only learned about my final diagnosis after being tossed out to my mental health clinic (since they refused my SSD) two years ago on a piece of paper. It listed Aspergers and labeled the problem as 'cured'.

I don't know anything about this at all, just that you can't be 'cured' from something like this. And having medical professionals say I was bothered me.

"Cured" is a very short-sighted conclusion, and I absolutely understand how frustrating that would be.

There's no "cure", because you're not sick, we're just different. The best thing you can do for yourself, is simply learn to admit what you can or cannot do, and set your life accordingly as best you can.

Different doesn't mean disabled.

Thanks for replying. I know quite well my own limitations and am happy with myself. I am who I am. I am more appalled by what the mental health community did to me all my life that the lastest point is more or less, meh whatever. (I nearly died several times either from medication having me in a constant state of near self harming or hurting other's in delusions and hallucination after years of build up or being forced into being anorexic for the first reader or so of my life due to medications)

New Threads

Top Bottom