• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Three rare things will happen to the moon this month - here's when...

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

The "Super Blood Moon" in January will be a combination of three astronomical phenomenon

Hull and East Yorkshire will be treated to a combination of three astronomical phenomenon in the skies later this month.

Stargazers will be treated to an extremely rare sighting of a Super Blood Moon and, cloud permitting, it will be visible to everyone.

The event, which is a combination of a total lunar eclipse, a Blood Moon and a Supermoon, is rarely seen but will happen this month - peaking in the morning of January 21.

The very best time to see it will be 5.13am and, despite it expected to be clearest to see in North and South America, it will be viewable from East Yorkshire.

What is a total lunar eclipse?

supermoon.jpg

A supermoon (Image: Reuters)
A total lunar eclipse is a phenomenon which occurs when the Earth, the Moon and the Sun are perfectly aligned.

NASA said the alignment blankets the Moon in the Earth’s shadow, according to Gloucestershire Live.

A total eclipse occurs as the Moon passes through the centre of Earth's darkest shadow - the umbra.

During the upcoming eclipse in January, the total eclipse is expected to last one hour and two minutes.

NASA said: “Lunar eclipses occur about two to four times per year, when the Moon passes into the Earth’s shadow.

“In order to see a lunar eclipse, you must be on the night side of the Earth, facing the Moon, when the Earth passes in between the Moon and the Sun.”

What is a Blood Moon?
When the Moon enters the Earth's darkest shadow it almost disappears in the sky - but a trick of the light will paint the Moon a deep red hue. NASA explained: “When the Moon passes into the Earth’s shadow, it turns red.

“This happens for the exact same reason that our sunrises and sunsets here on Earth are brilliant shades of pinks and oranges.

“During a lunar eclipse, the only light reaching the Moon passes through the Earth’s atmosphere.

“The bluer, shorter wavelength light scatters and the longer wavelength red light passes through and makes it to the Moon.”

The effect is known as Rayleigh Scattering and is also responsible for the blue colour of some eyes.

What is a Supermoon?

Supermoon-over-London-UK-13-Nov-2016.jpg

A supermoon over London
When the Moon approaches within 10 per cent of its closest possible distance to Earth it is classed as a Supermoon.

On the night of the Supermoon, the lunar orb will much look larger and brighter than usual. NASA said some of the best Supermoons can be up to 14 per cent bigger and 30 per cent brighter.

The space agency said: “Full Moons can occur at any point along the Moon’s elliptical path, but when a Full Moon occurs at or near the perigee, it looks slightly larger and brighter than a typical Full Moon.

“That’s what the term ‘Supermoon’ refers to.”

Source: The three rare things which will happen to the moon this month

I am paying more attention to these kinds of natural phenomena these days.

Given the complexities of our lives these natural things can become mundane and not noteworthy.

I would suggest that if given a second thought, we would find ourselves overcome by the enormity of such an event. How wonderfully moving it is.

Thank you, AGXStarseed.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have difficulty enjoying/comprehending things like this? Most science and math is so abstract that my brain doesn't register anything!

Not to be a downer on your awesome thread, it looks and sounds cool!

Maybe someone has had my problem and found some way around it, to any extent?

The amount of people with autism that love this sort of thing make me think my issue is not even related to autism!

Science and astrophysics are fascinating to me.
It does seem a number of people on the spectrum are drawn to these subjects and math.

The colour of our eyes being explained by the Rayleigh scattering is interesting.
That is something we don't stop to understand. Why eyes are different coloured.
I have the combination one of green scatter with the melanin of gold ring around pupil.
And both parents had blue eyes.

This super blood moon coming up is also called the Wolf moon.
It should be quite visible here in North America, but, in Florida...?
Maybe. Lots of rain here. Will be watching.

Oh, Supermooned? I think there is a weight requirement of at least 300 lbs.
;)

Oh, man, this is rare indeed! I gotta get on SpellsOfMagic and see if I can get a few ghosts in my hotel room for a nice gathering...maybe I'll summon myself a familiar?

Yes. Like, a magic pet you summon. A cat, an owl, a dryad, fae, fairy, ghost... Sophia said she summoned a fairy to watch over me once. The weird thing is that I have been able to feel a sort of presence following me. Not that I believe in fairies, but considering the weird stuff my sister is able to do, theres always a chance. Who's to say?

New Threads

Top Bottom