• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Those particular objects you "can't live without"

Jorg

I open this thread because Im interested in knowing if you happend to experience some hard time because you get used to work or do something with a particular kind of brand of object.

I personally like or only write with a particular brand of pens, cheap pens but so far the best I have ever used. Bic pens like the one on the picture
61aFxyiupEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I can't used other kind of pens, other may be too "pointy" or bad ink, idk, but when I ran out of those and I cant find them in a library, I start to feel anxious.

Like 1.5years ago I ran out of pens, and I didn't find them near my home, I look for thm in several major brand stores and nothing, I was getting stressed until I found them in a small library, then I bought 2 boxes, 12pens each.

Those 2 boxes lasted me until this week, I still have 2 pens left, but since the lockdown/pandemic I can't easily go out and look for them, I even checked Amazon and was thinking of buying them there, I live in Costa Rica, imagine having to buy so cheap pens from another country!

Anyway, luckily my dad found a couple of boxes in a small store here in my town so I have 24 new pens.

It may be weird, but the feel I have writing with them is very particular. I write a lot while studying, and 1 single pen can last me 1 month until completely dry.

Do you have any particular object/brand you need to have over other ones?

Pop-tarts. Cinnamon.

Cant be any other brand. I have tried others before, but they never get it right. There's a reason why stores always have such a crazy number of Pop-tarts on shelves. I tend to buy in bulk though, because those crazy numbers on the shelves very OFTEN run out, despite them stocking frequently.

My sanity would break completely without them. Only chaos would remain.

I open this thread because Im interested in knowing if you happend to experience some hard time because you get used to work or do something with a particular kind of brand of object.

I personally like or only write with a particular brand of pens, cheap pens but so far the best I have ever used. Bic pens like the one on the picture
61aFxyiupEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I can't used other kind of pens, other may be too "pointy" or bad ink, idk, but when I ran out of those and I cant find them in a library, I start to feel anxious.

Like 1.5years ago I ran out of pens, and I didn't find them near my home, I look for thm in several major brand stores and nothing, I was getting stressed until I found them in a small library, then I bought 2 boxes, 12pens each.

Those 2 boxes lasted me until this week, I still have 2 pens left, but since the lockdown/pandemic I can't easily go out and look for them, I even checked Amazon and was thinking of buying them there, I live in Costa Rica, imagine having to buy so cheap pens from another country!

Anyway, luckily my dad found a couple of boxes in a small store here in my town so I have 24 new pens.

It may be weird, but the feel I have writing with them is very particular. I write a lot while studying, and 1 single pen can last me 1 month until completely dry.

Do you have any particular object/brand you need to have over other ones?

I really feel better, because l tend to like those pens too. l have no idea why. l get attached and if l don't have to replace, l can keep my favorite things forever.

For food, l need crunchy like how l breathe air. l also need bitter, salty, sweet. But l will die without crunchy food. My heart and brain will just stop. l do go through food journeys where l eat something daily to cheer myself up. Like l had to move twice(don't ask why), so l needed crunchy, so there. lol

X-acto knife, which I use for cutting canvas, paper, any collage materials, removing tags from clothing, pretty much anything that requires precise cutting. Have sufficent replacement blades to last a lifetime.

upload_2020-7-30_23-12-43.jpeg

ok, not a tool but it is an object: tomatoes. I eat tomatoes every day, almost every meal (with other stuff, of course). A day without tomatoes will be a thing I reflect on in the evening as a day that was lacking something!

I like bulky pens with those rubber areas to hold between your fingers.
And if they are purple, that's a plus too.
I don't like the feel of the hard plastic plain pen and they are too narrow for a good grip.

Other things: It would be very hard to live without internet for me.
And the bare necessities of food, water, and a nice hard milled bar of lavender soap. :D

Bic pens, where I live at least, are fairly standard/ubiquitous and I can't imagine them ever disappearing! I have one in front of me as I write.

For me, mainly foods. There used to be a company selling a certain kind of cottage cheese with olives which I really loved, then one day the company that produced it went bust. Devastating! Then, there was a certain brand of granola muesli, with cashew nuts in it. I'm very fussy about my granola. I moved to another country and couldn't get the same brand, but eventually found another brand that appeared to be exactly the same thing under a different name. Often, different brands will buy the same product from the same factory, and then rebrand it under their name. So if something disappears, it's worth checking out other brands - for me, it's not so much about brand loyalty than having a specific taste and texture, so it won't matter to me that it's a different brand as long as it's the same product.

The specific type and brand of toothpaste I use, and not for any functional reason. The fact other toothpastes usually taste and feel different is just weird. Also the specific brand of soy milk I use, once again other brands taste too different and I don't particularly like it.

That's a hard pick, there are a lot of things. I think i need people like you to talk to, because it's rare others can relate or me to open up to them. There's a lot of built up emotion and the only way to get it out is to talk to someone who can relate to me, whom I trust or someone who is a good listener. It's really something essential to me. I'm losing my mind a little bit less and the world is a different place when I talk to someone who understands.

One useful thing Im missing is a safe refuge from people's behaviors, or a remote control which turns down their behavior to nothing visible. I guess id like to turn others autistic sometimes, but not any kind, just similar completely to me. And maybe that would be a mistake if I found out Im annoying when im not quiet and bland. I think quiet bland people that show nothing are the most comfortable to be around.

I need my creativity the most. If i didn't have it i couldnt figure out fixes for so many things im different at, and my courage to be honest and blunt about how I am, feel, and tell others in what way they misjudge me, which is still young and growing.

I value others a lot because they can help me out with figuring issues out, finding new products i may be interested in, etc.

I really like the electric oven, I dislike fire and gas. I both love and hate the internet. I could use getting out more and having friends but my social ineptitude is not a result of the internet, it's of not challenging my social fears and trying to try having friends.

There's a particular brand of soap I use, and since the scent it has is very mild, I defend it zealously- I doubt I have to explain the importance of that here, but I use my hands for pretty much everything, so I will keep them neutrally scented, even if it means spending 90 minutes in the bathroom washing my hands to get the damn smell of the overscented soaps others use. Luckily, I only had to do that once, and now I carry a vial of my preferred stuff around with me.

l moved out of an apartment because the AC was too loud and l couldn't turn it off. That bothered me that l couldn't control my environment noise. So l need some control in what live in.

I like Bic pens I got a lot recently, standard ones and multiple colours, the purple pen is nice, as is turquoise. I have a type of soap, moisturiser and deodorant, specific toothpaste and toothbrushes, and there is lengthy searching if any staple disappears. I can adapt if I have to, but it's often really hard to find a suitable alternative.

No one makes 100% cotton pants anymore for example. I have looked in every shop and online but they all have elastane or lace or bows I mean, really?

There's a particular brand of soap I use, and since the scent it has is very mild, I defend it zealously- I doubt I have to explain the importance of that here, but I use my hands for pretty much everything, so I will keep them neutrally scented, even if it means spending 90 minutes in the bathroom washing my hands to get the damn smell of the overscented soaps others use. Luckily, I only had to do that once, and now I carry a vial of my preferred stuff around with me.
theres this bar soap of metal that unscents hands. I just use a fluffy mango seed instead, perfect shape and fluff pores are great for scrubbing palms

71NZdpSSBjL._AC_SX569_.jpg

Chopsticks. I used them, I guess for practice and now I much much prefer them. Nice, light, precise, not chunky metal and easy to clean.
Incense. It's nostalgic and makes me feel like it cleanses the space in a way.
Also my crystals, yeah I definitely can't live without those little rocks xD xD

When I'm not on meds my favorite object is soft foam for rubbing between my fingers. Also I sleep with ear plugs shoved in at an ungodly depth. Definitely contributed to frequency loss. Don't ask don't tell soldiers... *pinky salute* Promise? :p

New Threads

Top Bottom