• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

This won't be easy...

Do you have trouble making friends with non-Aspies?

• None

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • A little

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Some

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Alot

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Terrible trouble

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mis-fit

Hi,

My name is Bob. I am a self diagnosed Aspie. I have had trouble since the day I was born, well, okay, since I entered Pre-K. I was picked on by a guy named Butch. I will never forget. It was my first experience with someone so hateful. I was picked on throughout every grade from then on, even into college. After college, I was picked on at work! I couldn't make good friends with anyone except in the first grade. His name was Gaines. I think he must have had Asperger's too because we got along so well. Tragedy struck when we were 21. He was hit by a drunk driver on his motorcycle and killed. I grieved for years/decades, and I am still sad. I never had another friend like him. Never found anyone I got along with that well. I had surface friends, most of them would pick on me and I just accepted it because I couldn't escape being picked on. Anywhere. Not even at church. I knew I was different, but didn't know how or what made me different. I am very gifted. I am an inventor, a classic car mechanic, drummer, without a drum set presently, key boardist, I carve leather, and draw in 3D on the computer rather easily. I got tired of being picked on and have been alone, except for acquaintances for 14 years now.

What I cannot do is make, keep or find a friend. No matter how I try. I am hoping I can find some people here that I can relate to, and I have already. I just joined yesterday and yesterday found two people that I got along with better than anyone since I lost Gaines. I cannot de-code things, like some puzzles or remember well, or socialize at all. I don't get most jokes, unless they are on me, and even then not always. I get a big "0" when it comes to interpreting non-verbal queues, meanings, and inferences. I mean ZERO! And because of that I have suffered in the social realm terribly. If you want me to understand something, please just say what you mean. I know most of you already do that because your like me, but I really can't read between the lines. Totally blind to them.

I have dyslexia, a very bad case of it, but I manage to get by. I catch most of my mistakes when typing, but my fingers don't hit the letters in the order I want them or intend them to. Little red squiggly lines are a good help.

The following paragraph is about my book. If I am not supposed to post this here, I ask a moderator to please move or remove it.

I wrote a book about perspective and how we can choose to have the one we want, within reason. Like reality will dictate what framework we have to work within, but we are free to choose what we want to believe, perceive and can. Like framed art work, we have to work within boundaries, like the frame, but we are free to draw, paint or pencil any picture, abstract, live art or whatever we wish within that frame. In my book I explain how our perspective forms, how it works and how to choose it. It is totally an Aspie thing.

Well if you see a post I wrote, please feel free to reply. I am as open to people, even people who are different than me, as I can be.

Hi and welcome. Seems like you've had a tough time. So, are you qualified as a therapist? Do you offer this approach to others, apart from in your book? Have you self published?

Welcome here.
That's great to write a book like that.

Glad you have joined us. And I have the same trouble of not getting jokes.
Happens all the time. I'll be answering in a serious informative way and find it was just a joke.
Gets tiring. Yes, say what you mean.

Hope you enjoy it here as much as I have! :D

I hope you feel welcome here :) Many are in same boat.

Last edited:
Welcome and great intro! You really are a gifted writer.

I to get what you are saying. I also learned recently I’m an Aspie so this does explain the lack of friends. The few I had dumped me recently when I told them about being an Aspie - was treated like it was contagious, really hurt. Currently, I also have no one other than my husband.

Welcome. Based upon my experience and analysis relationships are based upon meeting the needs and wants of others while getting your own needs and wants met. They are based on spoken and unspoken agreements. This applies to friend relationships as well as romantic relationships. When needs or wants are not being met then people move on continuing their search. Who stays in a relationship when they are not getting anything out of it? Of course emotions come into play but agreements are the bottom line when it comes to relationships.

Hi,

My name is Bob. I am a self diagnosed Aspie. I have had trouble since the day I was born, well, okay, since I entered Pre-K. I was picked on by a guy named Butch. I will never forget. It was my first experience with someone so hateful. I was picked on throughout every grade from then on, even into college. After college, I was picked on at work! I couldn't make good friends with anyone except in the first grade. His name was Gaines. I think he must have had Asperger's too because we got along so well. Tragedy struck when we were 21. He was hit by a drunk driver on his motorcycle and killed. I grieved for years/decades, and I am still sad. I never had another friend like him. Never found anyone I got along with that well. I had surface friends, most of them would pick on me and I just accepted it because I couldn't escape being picked on. Anywhere. Not even at church. I knew I was different, but didn't know how or what made me different. I am very gifted. I am an inventor, a classic car mechanic, drummer, without a drum set presently, key boardist, I carve leather, and draw in 3D on the computer rather easily. I got tired of being picked on and have been alone, except for acquaintances for 14 years now.

What I cannot do is make, keep or find a friend. No matter how I try. I am hoping I can find some people here that I can relate to, and I have already. I just joined yesterday and yesterday found two people that I got along with better than anyone since I lost Gaines. I cannot de-code things, like some puzzles or remember well, or socialize at all. I don't get most jokes, unless they are on me, and even then not always. I get a big "0" when it comes to interpreting non-verbal queues, meanings, and inferences. I mean ZERO! And because of that I have suffered in the social realm terribly. If you want me to understand something, please just say what you mean. I know most of you already do that because your like me, but I really can't read between the lines. Totally blind to them.

I have dyslexia, a very bad case of it, but I manage to get by. I catch most of my mistakes when typing, but my fingers don't hit the letters in the order I want them or intend them to. Little red squiggly lines are a good help.

The following paragraph is about my book. If I am not supposed to post this here, I ask a moderator to please move or remove it.

I wrote a book about perspective and how we can choose to have the one we want, within reason. Like reality will dictate what framework we have to work within, but we are free to choose what we want to believe, perceive and can. Like framed art work, we have to work within boundaries, like the frame, but we are free to draw, paint or pencil any picture, abstract, live art or whatever we wish within that frame. In my book I explain how our perspective forms, how it works and how to choose it. It is totally an Aspie thing.

Well if you see a post I wrote, please feel free to reply. I am as open to people, even people who are different than me, as I can be.

i'm an actual aspie,so i get the feeling,because people who we try to be socially interact with,we barely get a response from & probably end up in a social struggle with alongside other aspies like ourselves,even if they're self-diagnosed.

welcome

Understand about the struggles as I've got similar, I mean as far the social interactions. When I do make an attempt to read between the lines, I get it wrong most of the time. It's best if people just come out and say what they're wanting to communicate.

I won't exclude an NT from a pool of potential friends, however I actively seek out friendships with other autistic people. I do not actively seek out friendships with NTs. It's simply because of the fact that I feel more comfortable around other neurodiverse people and I'm able to relate to them much better than I can relate to most NTs.

welcome

Understand about the struggles as I've got similar, I mean as far the social interactions. When I do make an attempt to read between the lines, I get it wrong most of the time. It's best if people just come out and say what they're wanting to communicate.

it's better for people with any form of autism,especially those with aspergers,to wait for them to ask you whatever they ask you,based on what interests you that also interests them.

I have always had trouble making friends apart from those I enjoy participating in activities with. Luckily my core group of friends are accepting, knowing that they have quirks and accepting mine. This is part of a larger group of Young Sierrans, some of whom I know well and others not so much. This August we are having a get together for several days and my spouse and I will be helping out and decided to let a couple of out of staters stay in our guest rooms. One will be interesting and I am planning on practicing strict equanimity. Let's call him Mr. A. My first encounter with A was when I was leading a fall canoe trip. I had prepared what I thought was a generous amount of food for people canoeing 6 to 8 hour days, yet when Mr. A bellied up to the table where I set out a spaghetti dinner (with home made sauces) he proceeded to attempt to hoover up half the food and that left me scrambling to feed everybody. I am sure he knows that while we are lodging him for the objective of group harmony, neither my spouse nor I will accept any selfishness on his part when he stays with us. Sorta tough-love friendship, but my friends have seen my meltdowns and they know that apart time is sometimes necessary, so I do what I can to maintain a good relationship with them.

Friends are difficult and rare for me. Friendly acquaintances are a little easier.

What is most common are people who "put up" with my oddities and really would prefer that I mask all the time. Keeping a lid on my excitement about special interests isn't easy. Dealing with sensory overload in chaotic environments is stressful. Contributing to small talk in social conversations is next to impossible.

Ah well! It is what it is and it falls into the category of coping with the things I cannot change. Now that I'm retired, withdrawal from it all becomes more of an option.

Welcome! I consider the folks here to be like family. :)

Thank you Victor, I saved that course you recommended in my favs. I would say information is critical to coping, dealing with and being successful at managing with this combination of liabilities and abilities. Its like we are above and below the norm, I think that is why I am having so much trouble with NA people. I just don't instinctively know how to deal with them because I am not on their spectrum and they are not on mine : )

Hi and welcome. Seems like you've had a tough time. So, are you qualified as a therapist? Do you offer this approach to others, apart from in your book? Have you self published?

Hi, and I left out a lot of the hardest parts of my life that are due to having Aspies. It's been tough.

I started Talk Therapy 35 years ago. I got better in some situations, like not blaming myself for my dad abusing me and my family, which was not an easy thing to accomplish, but other things like the social interactions, nothing. Because I was so absolutely convinced it was my fault my dad abused me and my family, I didn't have the realization that it was not my fault until I was 42! And I was in weekly therapy for an hour at a time over 21 years before this happened! I was a hard nut to crack, but I got it.

What happened was a friend of mine, and they were not even a therapist, helped me to change my perspective of the initial event which I thought caused all the abuse. In an instant, 37 years of believing it was my fault was reduced to rubble! Perspective Shift Therapy is information on how you can change your own perspective at will. You will be able to use a therapist, but it doesn't not require one. To me information is what healed me. I combined the decades of therapy I had been through with the information I used to reduce my false belief to rubble and condensed it into this book. I consider it, at this time, to be my greatest achievement. I wrote other books based on Perspective Shift Therapy, but this PST book is the information that will enable most people to know how perspective works, how they can choose theirs and learn to think more objectively. I'm sorry if I mislead you to think I am a therapist, the word therapy is multifaceted. Like massage therapy, animal therapy, I meant it to be a therapy of healing false beliefs on your own. I have actually had more hours in therapy at this time than a psychologist has hours in school after their first two years of college. It's not the same, I know, but still, I have been working on me, longer than most people take to learn how to work on others : )

Yes I self-published on Amazon's Kindle

Welcome here.
That's great to write a book like that.

Glad you have joined us. And I have the same trouble of not getting jokes.
Happens all the time. I'll be answering in a serious informative way and find it was just a joke.
Gets tiring. Yes, say what you mean.

Hope you enjoy it here as much as I have! :D

Thank you! Yes I am already feeling very welcome. I just wish not so many people have been through anything like what I have, and still have to work through. But the flip side is I am not alone. I appreciate your welcome.

Yeah, I had no idea that not getting jokes was a condition, lol. I also didn't know why I was always getting picked on/bullied. Now I know and I feel better, if that makes sense. It's not "ME", it's "Them". There is no reason to pick on anyone just because they are different. I was/am not wrong, they are wrong for picking on those who are different than them. It really is the equivalent of picking on someone with a broken leg for not walking.

New Threads

Top Bottom