• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

This is somewhat awkward.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
My boss is sending me to coding classes because she has more faith in my ability to learn new skills and rise up in the company that I do.

Yeah. So I am feeling somewhat awkward. I have not taken classes since I graduated high school, and I was a straight D student back then. Then again, I seriously doubt I will be distracted by being the official school punching bag this time around, so logically I know I will not be a straight D student this time around. Add in that coding is uncharted territory for me.

Yeah. Not sure how to feel. I feel like I should feel honored instead of anxious.

It may turn out to be something you're really good at. I think the 2 most important things that are needed are the ability to think logically and the ability to keep track of lots of little details. If that sounds like you ...

I found that the Aspie tendency to zoom in on one thing and lose track of everything else, which regularly gets me in trouble in social situations, can be a great asset when trying to solve a tricky programming problem.

Good luck.

My boss is sending me to coding classes because she has more faith in my ability to learn new skills and rise up in the company that I do.

Yeah. So I am feeling somewhat awkward. I have not taken classes since I graduated high school, and I was a straight D student back then. Then again, I seriously doubt I will be distracted by being the official school punching bag this time around, so logically I know I will not be a straight D student this time around. Add in that coding is uncharted territory for me.

Yeah. Not sure how to feel. I feel like I should feel honored instead of anxious.

Maybe your boss has been watching you (it's part of the job after all) and sees something in you that you don't see... It often takes other people to identify strengths that we don't think we have or never even notice...

It is difficult moving on to any new situation, especially if we feel out of our depth- it's good you recognise that. What happens if you just try it? Are you in a position to tell your boss you would like to take the course but need some extra support and encouragement?

They think you can do it, and as someone says it is the sort of thing Aspies are good at. I am about to step into the unkown too, I have to trust someone completely, and I've not trusted anyone since I was 2, after a life of being let down. I have to get over this block and realise that the future is not the past... easy to say, but I have to do it. It feels like jumping off a trapeze, but there is a safety net, so why do I stop myself??

Life is short take every opportunity you can to make it better, dont build a huge file of regrets- speaking from experience here and as an older person who never really stepped out that much. I hope you go for it and make a difference.

I completely love adult learning courses. Its a choice to go on them so usually everyone is interested in what they're learning. Sometimes I m surprised that others are anxious about it when I am loving it and can see they are better at it than me, so my advice is to let yourself enjoy this new learning experience and be the kind parent the child part of you needs, maybe say kind stuff to yourself as you go on your way to the venue, and take a nice treat for breaking or sweets to hand out? Others will be more nervous than you especially older others. I'm 60 and I m applying for another full on training for September! I know it'll be challenging but also fascinating. Hope you enjoy this opportunity!

a) honored. This is a great opportunity, coding is something that sits well with a lot of aspies. I used to code java, perl, python and in various database languages. Adult learning is very different to school. I go on training courses quite regularly. There might be the odd person here and there asking questions while everyone else is just listening (often me), but generally, people are there to learn. So do some pre-reading, and try to really understand what is on offer here.

Try it, you might really love it, and be really good at it. Embrace the opportunity.

I would simply LOVE it if my employer sent me to learn coding or a new skill, I LOVE learning new things!!

I can definitely understand how you feel. Even though many people on the higher functioning end of the autistic spectrum are good at computers and sometimes coding, it doesn't mean that every autistic person is talented in this way, we are all individuals and can have various different talents, so I hope your boss isn't taking a stereotypical view of you. That said it's definitely worth going in with a positive attitude and giving it your best shot, if you do get into it, it's a great thing to learn these days and you might find you really enjoy it. I wish you the very best of luck.

PS: I used to be an excellent coder in the late 1970s and 1980s since I was introduced to computers as a child from the age of 10. I even had a couple of educational games marketed when I finally reached 18 and software companies would take me seriously, although by then I was a bit late on the market as a single developer and it was on a s***y school computer, so it didn't make me a fortune. I was also thrown in the deep end more recently for a while on a live Linux system where I needed to debug and modify PHP code which I picked up very quickly, although I'm nowhere near as efficient as I used to be, it proved to me that I still have the ability at least and before long I was able to write my own code.

It was my coding experience that also helps me write novels and now, non-fiction. So try it and see!

Love your quote about extremeophiles and female Aspies- sums it up perfectly!! I dont know what coding is, I can guess. I want to write a book on the computer, but haven't a clue- I am handwriting it, page by page hoping that one day a miracle will happen and I will know.

Doing something new is always worrisome for me as well. Still I go and do it and usually enjoy it. I'm sure you'll be no different, good luck.

Go for it.

I'm kind of in the same boat myself (see my game design course in Doncaster topic), I might be learning gaming code if they don't say I'm loads too old for the course.

Do you know which coding language(s) you are going to learn?

I will be learning Apex specifically. I am the only person at my office who knows anything about how to use a computer, and my employer decided to move all of its records over to SalesForce, so it is up to me to learn how to administrate it and to train everybody else here how to use it after I code it to do what my employer wants it to do. Frankly, I am not used to this kind of responsibility. I most likely can handle it alright, but still, going from answering phones to something like this is a big step up that came about suddenly.

You should certainly feel pride! I took Java I for a semester, thinking I’d be great because my passed father did IT (fixing software issues) for Demandware. I got a C, meaning I could move onto the next course, but I chose not to because school is not really my cup of tea. It was an accelerated course too, only 7 1/2 weeks of non-stop ********. But don’t let my personal experience stop you! I took many years of Biology before I realized computers were so cool (and they are), and it wore me out. Had I started with coding, who knows?

Classes outside of high school and day college are usually quite different/better learning envirionments.

New Threads

Top Bottom