• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Third Person Speaking

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
I read in a few places that supposedly autistic people as kids would often refer to themselves in third person when they were learning how to talk. One of the tales I grew up hearing on myself was that everything was "Ashe do it!" rather than "I do it!" when I was a tyke. Not to mention incredibly headstrong even at that age.

Did you speak in third person as a kid?

Yes! And in some cases I'll still do it! And not on purpose either.. It's just that I am not 'me' .. Which makes no sense, I know. But I definitely do/did.

I don't think so. I don't think my parents did that thing where they'd refer to me in the third person when speaking to me. My mother did it later though, and I hated her for it.

I can't remember if I did it as a kid or not, but I know that sometimes my parents had to tell me things in the third person before I'd understand.

I sometimes do it now - somehow it distances myself from my immediate emotions and detaches me from the situation somehow.

I can't remember if I did it as a kid or not, but I know that sometimes my parents had to tell me things in the third person before I'd understand.

I sometimes do it now - somehow it distances myself from my immediate emotions and detaches me from the situation somehow.
Same here, but I only do it in my head, I don't say it outloud because it would look more weird than how I am already. :)

Yes I know I did, and still do today :).
Does it help with looking at things more neutrally? I always tend to get caught up in drama or scary things and an wanting a way to decrease that. Thought thinking of things from 3rd person would help.

Does it help with looking at things more neutrally? I always tend to get caught up in drama or scary things and an wanting a way to decrease that. Thought thinking of things from 3rd person would help.
Of course if you can look at things neutrally I find it helpd but some things still catch up with me so..

New Threads

Top Bottom