• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thinking of getting a dog.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I have not had a pet since I was in high school, so some pointers would be appreciated.

A small dog for my small house would be nice.

I would walk him every day, even in the rain.

Maybe I am only thinking this because of my extended periods of isolation these days.

First step is to do a lot of research... asking here is nice but you can only get so much that way.

You need to understand the breed you're after. Some breeds arent really meant for certain types of environments and such, that sort of thing. Some may have odd personality tendencies that you'll need to be able to deal with (such as huskies being generally chaotic)

Also make sure you have good access to a vet nearby, and it can help to learn how to deal with any emergencies that may arise (though hopefully that wont happen).

Lastly, be aware that a dog is quite the responsibility. They require a lot of attention due to how social they are and how attached they get to their owners.

Dogs can be difficult but they are absolutely worth the effort. Dont get one though if you arent absolutely 100% sure that you'll be able to truly keep it.

I wholeheartedly agree with Misery. Do your research, on everything- breed traits, health issues, personalities, temperaments, idiosyncrasies, specific needs, trainability, etc.
Dogs are a huge responsibility but in a good way. They make us better people by teaching us to care deeply about something other than ourselves. Most breeds form an unconditional and unbreakable lifelong bond with their owners, so like Misery said, make sure you can definitely have one and keep one for the duration of its life.

Decide on whether you want to adopt a dog or buy one. I’m a big advocate for both options. Sometimes adopting one when it’s an adult can be challenging because they can come with behavioral issues, trauma issues, separation anxiety, health problems, aggressive tendencies, and problems with temperament including reactivity to other dogs and “stranger danger.” Some rescue dogs don’t have issues though and are just as trainable and affectionate as a purebred dog. But if you’re up for a challenge and some seriously hard work then adopting one is a great option! And you’re saving a dog’s life!! :)
Do intense research on breeders and beware of scams, backyard breeders, pet stores, and puppy mills :( Look specifically for a breeder who is recognized by the American Kennel Club or Canadian Kennel Club as a Breeder of Merit. This means that they’ve been proven to be responsible and ethical and have produced healthy, happy puppies who are show quality (important even if you’re not going to show your dog, because this means they’re usually free from genetic and physical defects.)
A lot of good breeders will require you to spay or neuter your dog if it’s to be kept as a pet. But you should never neuter a dog that’s not fully grown. This makes male dogs too skinny and less muscular and prevents them from “filling out” and physically maturing.
Most breeders will make you sign a contract that says that if you can’t keep the dog for whatever reason, they will take the dog back and either keep it or find it a more suitable home. This prevents dogs from ending up in shelters.
Be suspicious of people who are selling puppies who ask for a price of more than $3500. Even the best quality show dogs are not supposed to be completely unaffordable. Most purebred dogs go for between $800 and $3500. Any price more or less than that is suspicious imo. I paid about $2500 for my dogs and they are from Breeders of Merit and were bred for show and performance.

Don’t be shy to network with other dog owners :) Ask people where they recommend getting a specific breed, what kind of traits and potential issues that breed has, and how they can be helpful and give you advice. You can also meet up with other dog people at events! I’ve found the dog community to be very accepting, welcoming and helpful as a whole, but be cautious of people who have one-sided beliefs or try to make the topic political.

Training is VERY IMPORTANT!!! Obedience training makes all the difference between a neurotic, problematic dog and a wonderful, well-mannered companion.
Not all dogs need to be trained in masters-level obedience but your dog should have a good understanding of basic commands and manners, and be able to display that. You want to be completely consistent with training and make sure your dog is well-socialized with all types of people and other dogs. Training and human socialization should start immediately, and socialization with dogs should start as soon as the puppy is up-to-date on vaccines. Having an unvaccinated dog around other dogs and animals is a recipe for heartbreak. :(

My recent experiences that I’ve shared on here are proof that even with a responsibly-bred dog, health issues still come up. Most diseases can be screened for in the parents, and you never want to get a puppy from a breeder who does not do health testing. But some diseases, like what my puppy has, are not genetic and thus cannot be screened for or prevented. Don’t obsess and worry too much of course, but be prepared for illnesses and injuries to happen. It’s part of having a dog! That’s why you need to find a good veterinarian that has an emergency room. Sometimes you have to try a few different vets within a practice to find a good one. I had to.
Make sure your dog is started on a good food. I personally feed my dogs Purina Pro Plan and a combination of dry and wet food, with raw chicken (made specifically for dogs to consume, you can find this in a pet supply store or a specialty dog supply shop.) Hill’s Science Diet, Royal Canin, and some strictly raw brands are good too. Royal Canin has breed-specific food too!
Toys are important too. Give your dog a variety of safe, durable toys and also buy some brain puzzles and toys that are mentally stimulating. Some good brands for puzzle toys are Outward Hound and Nina Ottosson. I usually buy dog toys at Chewy.com and surprisingly Target has an excellent selection too.

I think a dog would be a great companion for you!! And you can always message me with any questions or issues that arise and I would be very happy to help :)
Hope this was helpful!!
- Luca :dogface:

I agree with both Misery and crewlucaa. And would only add that you also need to be able to afford said dog (incl all the dog needs, vet costs. Insurance etc....)

Its highly expensive to have a pet and you will be tied down more to youre house & less traveling or leaving the dog home alone for too long periods. Do you have someone able to take care of the dog
if something happens to you or you need to go to a job?

Puppy is way more demanding than adult dogs. Full Breed is often WAY more expensive than half breed. Same with full breed is often more susceptible for different problems etc... From too hard breeding (especially smaller breeds that have been to hard breed to look more puppy like, and fit mankinds needs rather then bodily functions. But this also goes for bigger breeds.)

So, before you do this my humble advice is make shore you know a lot of dogs and what they need and how to take care of them so that you can take on this responsibility.

Other than that, if you belive you can do all this and have the money for it then yes it will be a great companion for you.

Last edited:
make sure you can definitely have one and keep one for the duration of its life.

Yeah, this part cant be emphasized enough.

Some families will get a dog, because OMG SHINY or some other braindead reason, but later on decide/realize that they just cant handle it for some reason (or just dont want to, because that novelty factor wore off), and end up giving the dog back to a shelter... after it has already bonded with them (which doesnt seem to take very long).

A dog in this situation, once they realize that their family is never coming back from them, doesnt want them anymore, can fall into extreme despair. Some dogs dont ever recover from this, and you can guess what happens from there. Those that DO recover are likely to have issues for the rest of their lives.

Do not get a dog unless you can be absolutely, completely sure that they'll be with you for good.

Sometimes adopting one when it’s an adult can be challenging because they can come with behavioral issues, trauma issues, separation anxiety, health problems, aggressive tendencies, and problems with temperament including reactivity to other dogs and “stranger danger.”

Yeah, this is important.

One of my dogs, Dingle, we got her near the start of the pandemic. She was 2 years old at the time. Specifically, from a breeder... who was old enough to have ridden dinosaurs to school each day. Seriously she was nearly 90. Yes, really. Needless to say, while she had the passion for it she didnt have the physical capacity to REALLY give the dogs the attention and such they need. While Dingle was perfectly healthy the moment we got her, she did come with really terrible seperation anxiety. I mean REALLY bad. She will have a crying, howling fit if I walk into the bathroom and close the door and will keep that up until I come back out. Unless she doesnt see me go in there... but sometimes she'll suddenly start sprinting around the house looking for me (easy to hear those crazy feet flying all over the tiles upstairs) and then promptly run downstairs, come right up to the door, and THEN start howling. She also came with some odd aggression, though I do suspect that a bit of that is just that she's a smaller dog, as Wheatens go (you know, "small dog syndrome", where a smaller dog just declares that they are actually huge and tough and goes from there).

She's gotten better as time went on, but still has problems.

Oh, and last bit of advice: Make sure you're ready and willing to clean up gross things off your floor. It's going to happen... period. Part of owning a dog.

I just adopted a dog last week. I chose to adopt (unless there is a specific reason for buying one from a breeder - needing a hypoallergenic breed for example, I strongly urge you to adopt).

I adopted a mature dog (I do NOT have the energy or skill level for a puppy) from a rescue - she had been in foster, so her temperament was already known. (Dogs are individuals, regardless of breed. Don't get a specific breed expecting it to fit a stereotype.) Her foster mom is awesome, and I've been in touch with her continuously for advice when stuff comes up that I'm not sure about (and there has been a lot of that!)

If you get a dog from a rescue or a responsible breeder (which you should) expect to have to fill out applications and be interviewed at least once because they will want to be sure the dog is going to a good home.

The thing that was the biggest shock to me was the immediate level of anxiety and stress that my new family member caused - she is perfect, mind you. She's no problem at all. She's adapted well enough and quickly enough that everyone (including her foster mom) is amazed. I'm the one who had difficulty adapting. I was so concerned about her well being (as I should have been!) that I failed to consider that it would be a massive change for me, I would get overwhelmed and be a massive ball of stress, wondering if I'd made a mistake adopting her as I figured out how to adapt my life to the new responsibility and routine. Definitely be prepared to ride out a few weeks of oh what have I gotten myself into? as you adapt. Make sure you take time for yourself, away from the new pup. The dog will fit into your life (with adjustments), not the other way around.

Expect hiccups - you won't be perfect, the dog won't be perfect, unexpected stuff will happen, mistakes will be made. As long as you keep the dog safe, everything else will work out. You're unlikely to make an innocent mistake that's going to affect the dog for the rest of its life (unless you fail to keep it safe as I already mentioned).

Yes, take a dog from a rescue it will be rewarding for both of you. Also remember that purebred dogs have a higher risk of incest related health issues. Mixed breeds are healthier.

And, always be prepared for the odd events. I used to have a standard poodle that we used to take on camping trips. Generally he was happy sleeping in the vestibule of our tent. One late fall, camping in Parke Co., Indiana, he snuck out at night and evidently visited a pig farm and came back covered in pig crap. It was too cold to attempt cleaning him and we had to travel home with him in a garbage bag taped at the neck with all the windows of the car rolled down.

Dogs are great companions in many ways. But they are also a very big responsibility and the breaking in period (for you and the dog) can be very stressful. There is also a financial aspect as even if the dog is perfectly healthy. I've looked at a few articles on this and dogs seem to average around $750.00 a year. You also must be prepared for higher costs as just like people dogs get ill and have injuries and their lifespan is much shorter then people's, so you will see age induced issues sooner. I've had to spend thousands for emergency operations on mine. But then again, I have 4 :D

So I would ask are you able to be totally loyal and committed to your companion? Because the chances are about 99% that they will be totally committed and loyal to you. And worth every penny. Just make sure you have enough pennies ;)

And, always be prepared for the odd events. I used to have a standard poodle that we used to take on camping trips. Generally he was happy sleeping in the vestibule of our tent. One late fall, camping in Parke Co., Indiana, he snuck out at night and evidently visited a pig farm and came back covered in pig crap. It was too cold to attempt cleaning him and we had to travel home with him in a garbage bag taped at the neck with all the windows of the car rolled down.

roomba.jpg

Our dog was small Chihuahua but we never had any medical issues. But the weird thing was trying to find food it like to eat. I swear the dog's diet was mini milk bones and occasional cat food. The cat ate the dog food which isn't good for cats. They both ate catnip, mozzarella sticks, small saucers of milk, and loved a lick of butter of my finger. I never found a dry food the dog liked. But l didn't feed it table scraps except both loved a little ice cream too.

My family has had dogs in the past, they break stuff occasionally, they smell, are expensive, hair everywhere, poop inside if you forget them.

Some people like dogs because it gives them a good reason the leave the house and walk around the neighborhood, but if you have an executive dynsfunction or suffer from burnout/depression having another daily task (3 actually) you have to fulfill can be a problem. I have trouble even taking care of myself, so pets are a no go.

Last edited:
Our dog was small Chihuahua but we never had any medical issues. But the weird thing was trying to find food it like to eat. I swear the dog's diet was mini milk bones and occasional cat food. The cat ate the dog food which isn't good for cats. They both ate catnip, mozzarella sticks, small saucers of milk, and loved a lick of butter of my finger. I never found a dry food the dog liked But l didn't feed it table scraps except both loved a little ice cream too. Also they both enjoyed grass -cat grass.

If you leave a dog by itself for a long time , it can become destructive if it is a hyper breed. So please don't do it. To board a dog overnight can run quite high if you take a trip.

There are dishonest breeders out there. I have personal experience with that. And just as pet stores can be bad, l have had excellent experience with small pet stores. Sometimes they operate as a way for people looking to find a home for a mature pet, so just ask.

Cats are low maintenance. Some dog breeds are not allowed by apartments due to past insurance issues. Some apartments don't tolerate a dog who barks all day while you at work. More noticeable in apartments with thin walls. Finally, dogs eat anything off the ground, and can get sick and even die. Always monitor what poochie is investigating.

My cat only once didn't use his box.
Our bathroom door is always open because of our cat's litter box. We got visitors and cat got locked out. He decided to pee on a keg of potatoes. I don't blame him. Cat piss is real treat for your nose. Cellar smelled for a week.

Can you potty train dogs? I've seen litter boxes for small dog breeds like chihauhau in a pet shop.

Good luck on your pet journey.

My cat only once didn't use his box.
Our bathroom door is always open because of our cat's litter box. We got visitors and cat got locked out. He decided to pee on a keg of potatoes. I don't blame him. Cat piss is real treat for your nose. Cellar smelled for a week.

Can you potty train dogs? I've seen litter boxes for small dog breeds like chihauhau in a pet shop.

Good luck on your pet journey.

For indoor dogs you usually just use absorbant pads

As far as i know you can't. Nor should you try. Dogs need their time walking outside and sniffing around etc...

For indoor dogs you usually just use absorbant pads

The problem with this is what you do is teach the dog it's as it should be to pee & poop inside and with or without those absorbent pads it will continue to do so wherever it in inside incl poop. And also if it's a male that haven't been fixed most likely begin to mark his turf (inside said apartment or house)

So, in conclusion i strongly advice against this method.

The problem with this is what you do is teach the dog it's as it should be to pee & poop inside and with or without those absorbent pads it will continue to do so wherever it in inside incl poop. And also if it's a male that haven't been fixed most likely begin to mark his turf (inside said apartment or house)

So, in conclusion i strongly advice against this method.

Our 4 Chihuahuas use the pads pretty well. They are in the bathroom and near misses aren't too hard to clean on the tile floor. One thing I notice is they don't like soiled places so if the pads have been already used a few times they will instead use the hall. So replacing the pads frequently is important. But small dogs have small accidents I don't think it would work very well with a Saint Bernard. ;)

We did have more of a problem when we had carpets but I replaced those with hard laminate floors.

One of our dogs we adopted specifically because she wasn't completely house trainable. Her previous owner gave her up for adoption because they couldn't deal with that. And she had begun life by being abandoned and had already been in a shelter. I didn't want to see her stuck in a shelter again. She does fine nearly all the time, it's just once in a while she kind of spaces out and just goes. I don't make a fuss. I just clean up after. She and all of them really are wonderful dogs and companions.

You have already gotten great advice and much to think about.

I want to give you a little more to think about.

Your pets are family. They are just as important as every other family member. Having any pet can change your perspective on life. The care, love and attention they need can get you out of your own head.

Have you ever seen the move "21 Days" with Sandra Bullock? IMBD lists the movie as a comedy but, it is really a very poignant look at addiction and recovery with some funny bits. Any way, in the movie residents of an addiction treatment center are advised to get a plant, keep it alive for year, then get a dog and keep it alive for a year. If you have kept both alive then you can be assured you are ready for relationships. It is a great movie in my opinion.

Only you know if you are ready for a pup. But it is an incredibly rewarding experience to know that there is someone who truly loves you "no matter what".

Phantom makes a really a really good point though. You must be fully committed to meeting the needs of this little life even if you don't want to. Even if you just can't drag yourself out of bed.
There are a lot of ways you can help yourself accomplish your dogs care needs though. Setting alarms, sticking to ridgid schedules and even asking a friend to stop by and check on you both can help. I like to use a big paper calendar that I can mark off in red to help remind me of things I need to do, like feeding the dog!

Best of luck!

Our 4 Chihuahuas use the pads pretty well. They are in the bathroom and near misses aren't too hard to clean on the tile floor. One thing I notice is they don't like soiled places so if the pads have been already used a few times they will instead use the hall. So replacing the pads frequently is important. But small dogs have small accidents I don't think it would work very well with a Saint Bernard. ;)

We did have more of a problem when we had carpets but I replaced those with hard laminate floors.

One of our dogs we adopted specifically because she wasn't completely house trainable. Her previous owner gave her up for adoption because they couldn't deal with that. And she had begun life by being abandoned and had already been in a shelter. I didn't want to see her stuck in a shelter again. She does fine nearly all the time, it's just once in a while she kind of spaces out and just goes. I don't make a fuss. I just clean up after. She and all of them really are wonderful dogs and companions.

If it's while training (incl those dogs that aren't trained properly) for a limited time that's another thing completely. im referring to permanent

It's not at all uncommon for rescue dogs to have different " luggage" = problems so in the beginning yes thus and other problems may occur.

I earlier got a LOVLEY 1-year-old half breed 50 % Ovsharca (his father) 25 % German Shepard 25 % Doberman= HUGE. that hadn't been trained at all for anything from a dog rescue and relocating org. among others not house trained. BUT with the help of a good dog trainer and lots of hard work & patience with the dog he became a lovely dog. I had pretty much only problem and or relocating dogs (i then lived in a small house in the countryside)

New Threads

Top Bottom