• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thinking about retirement...

Have you prepared yourself for retirement?

• Yes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Emotionally, but not physically

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Physically, but not emotionally

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

SimplyWandering

Holidays are around the corner and it got me to thinking.

I am a long way from retirement, but I can’t help but think I definitely won’t like it.

I love working (despite the struggle) and I think I’d be depressed.

I don’t expect to have kids in my lifetime....

So what does one “do” when they are retired to keep themselves busy?

I feel like traveling and beaches would wear itself out eventually, and going shopping (one of my favorite things) will have me going broke:oops::rolleyes:.

No point in pondering such a thing at your age. Let's talk again about this- in about 30 years. You may have a very different perspective by then. Or not. ;)

In retirement, what do I do to keep busy?

Who says I must keep "busy" ? I'm retired! :p :cool:

Last edited:
What you aren't taking into consideration, SimplyWandering, is that your body may be fairly worn out by retirement age. When that's true, it's a huge relief to be able to pay your bills out of your pension or retirement accounts.

But if you get to that point, and want to, and can, why not keep working forever. Some people do.

I was never worried about being depressed after retirement, because I have a lot of hobbies that I enjoy.

I put somewhat, as I have given up my previous job, but I am not well off so am thinking I ll get something part time to supplement my income.

I know what you mean about liking to be busy, but actually I think I could fill my time fine without working if I didn't want a bit more income, I would volunteer, I could find something I have an interest in and giving time and energy means people are glad to have your help, so it provides a social arena that's positive too.

I also have quiet hobbies and activities I enjoy, so although I wasn't really prepared for retirement, I have found it fine. But as has been said, you don't have to stop working unless you want to, normally.

Holidays are around the corner and it got me to thinking.

I am a long way from retirement, but I can’t help but think I definitely won’t like it.

I love working (despite the struggle) and I think I’d be depressed.

I don’t expect to have kids in my lifetime....

So what does one “do” when they are retired to keep themselves busy?

I feel like traveling and beaches would wear itself out eventually, and going shopping (one of my favorite things) will have me going broke:oops::rolleyes:.
I only know of one person who kept working until their 80s they were a barrister, if you don’t have adrenal fatigue by then keep working, i’d like to work for ever if I could find the perfect job.

I wish I had thought about retirement.
Especially the financial part.
I should have invested or did something to prepare for the costs it takes to live
as a senior that needs some assistance.

Social Security disability doesn't pay enough to live in a group home or assisted living.
So for now I rent two rooms and a bath on one side of a large home that an older man lives in
and needs a little help.
He lets me pay what I can afford for my wing of the house and use the kitchen.
I stay busy being like a care giver to him.

I should have invested or did something to prepare for the costs it takes to live

Social Security disability doesn't pay enough to live in a group home or assisted living.
So for now I rent two rooms and a bath on one side of a large home that an older man lives in
and needs a little help.
People in the UK thought putting money every week or Fortnight or a month into the public pension would mean they could retire the Amount they get it’s close to starvation and now they’ve upped the age of retirement,Some people put money into private pensions and they were stolen from.

People in the UK thought putting money every week or Fortnight or a month into the public pension would mean they could retire the Amount they get it’s close to starvation and now they’ve upped the age of retirement,Some people put money into private pensions and they were stolen from.
These are not reasons not to prepare financially for retirement, though. They are reasons to diversify your funds and be careful what you invest in. That's a pretty large job, though.

and needs a little help.
I plan on doing something like that if/when my spouse either dies or moves to a nursing home. My condo isn't huge, but I think I could make a deal with someone to do housekeeping and chores in lieu of rent.

I retired when I was sixty because I was having trouble keeping up with a full time job. I knew that I needed something to do, so I started working on equipment for some of my regular customers. I did not have any overhead, so I could offer them a very good labor rate and still make good money myself. This is just what I needed, I was working less and making more. It works so well that I am still doing it at 73.

If you enjoy work so much then do what your doing now on a lighter basis, the slimmed down version.

The other possibilty, to explore things you never had a chance to, such as ummm - underwater basket weaving. lol. Seriously, vocal lessons, music instrument, sport instruction, writing, uni classes in something that interests you, youtube videos, volunteer for a passionate cause close to you, start a new endeavor.

Me, l will work straight into 80's , if you see me bagging groceries or parking car, say hello!!

I’m a bit young to think about my retirement. I think I might get bored. I don’t deal well with spare time, but maybe that changes as I get older.

I'm dreading old age. I don't have much of a support network, no kids and family far away, insecure finances. I don't know how I'll cope.

New Threads

Top Bottom