• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thinking about Mining one day.

Mining is a good job for a young man.

I have many friends and relatives who have worked in the oil industry. It's very good pay. If you go to Alaska, if I remember correctly, you work 3 months on, 2 weeks home.

I also have friends whose brothers or husbands have gone to North or South Dakota to work in the oil industry, and they come back a year later, loaded with cash. I'm talking like $100,000 sometimes, depending on the position.

I also have known people who worked at a gold mine in Palm Desert, California, but I don't remember much about it. I think they worked there a short time, and came back with pretty good money.

Oil companies are always hiring, and they need strong, driven young men like you who want to make it a lifelong career.

You'll be able to support yourself or a family, have a nice car, own a house, send your kids to school, and retire quite comfortably. Also the benefits package is amazing.

Literally, just google "Alaska Pipeline Entry Level Jobs", or wherever you want to work. They always need bright and strong people who are dedicated workers.

Last edited:
"Mining" is certainly broad. Gold? Silver? Precious gems? Industrial minerals and heavy metals?

Intruiging! Do you intend to file your own claim or work for others? Will you grow a big, bushy moustache and turn into an eccentric reculse? :p

I read a few years a fantastic story in a newspaper of a man who lived alone in London in a relatively large house but on a normal suburban street. He had no relatives or friends and when he died the council went into his house and discovered he had been tunneling for many years out through the bottom of the house, I can't remember how far he got but I think it was several hundred metres.

I guess I'm the only one who immediately thought data mining? Which is odd being the Geologist here :rolleyes:.

Thought I'd add another option.

Mines seem terrifying to me. I went into a cave once and it unnerved me greatly. The idea of being so far underground, the potential for tunnels collapsing, or something like coal miners with all that dust etc.

Ed

Not sure what. But probably for fun and side cash.

Outdoor prospecting for gold in the foothills?

Lots of fun as a hobby, much like gambling. As long as you don't look at it as a serious way to supplement your income. Mostly because it's unlikely whatever you find will exceed the cost of your initial investment.

There's still gold in the foothills and streams of Northern California. But the odds are firmly against anyone trying to make a living from it. Nice solitary way to pass time for an Aspie though.

Here is a guy who lives out on his own & explores old mines. Not a safe hobby imho.

In Nevada it's more than a hobby. Much a case of creative suicide.

VERY bad idea here in particular. Never mind the mere trespassing considerations. Where the next step you take may be your last. That mineshaft you didn't notice right in front of your eyes- and feet.

Last edited:
In Nevada it's more than a hobby. Much a case of creative suicide.

VERY bad idea here in particular. Where the next step you take may be your last.

I grew up wandering around the foothills and mountains of the N California Sierra Nevada mountains. Lived there a long time. We were wild kids but we wanted to grow up so we stayed out of the hundreds of old mines. Parents owned acreage, a hilltop that was on top of a sort of network of tunnels. I would not walk around at night out there.

Here in Idaho, panning for gold is a popular thing to do. I know people that always take a gold pan when they go camping. You just have to be sure that you are not on someone else's claim. I have heard of bad things happening to claim jumpers.

New Threads

Top Bottom