• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things that make you think, what?

Mia

V.I.P Member
Post facts and interesting tidbits of information that you've discovered recently, that interest you and might interest others.

Scientists were and are continuing study of troops of macaques in Sri Lanka. They discovered that mother macaques who have male offspring supply richer and more caloric milk to their male offspring than to their female offspring.

This led other scientists to study human mother's breast milk, which also generate richer and more caloric breast milk to their male babies than to their female babies, dependent on their wealth and resources.

"..40-year-old theory in evolutionary biology. The Trivers-Willard hypothesis states that natural selection favors parental investment in daughters when times are hard and in sons when times are easy." Boys and Girls May Get Different Breast Milk

Last edited:
My Mom had a pet crow when she was 20, before I was born, that she claimed could say a few words.

I had afternoon readings of Edger Allen Poe stories to a family of Wood Storks when I lived by the bay here.
I kept a chair on a patio and in the afternoon a family of five storks would fly in and form a semi-circle in
front of the chair, sit down on their rears with their legs out in front and I would come out with a book of Poe stories and read to them for about 20 mins a day.
Then I would get up and say goodbye for today and they would leave. Only to return each day at the same time (if it wasn't storming).
Guess they liked Edger Allen Poe!
But, now I live elsewhere, so for the storks it is Nevermore!
!cid_004601ca29f4$a7470950$22E05152@hewlettz2wf5fi.jpg

CBD is one of the safest treatments you could use to bring the body back into homeostasis... unless, you're on BP drugs / beta blockers (lol fml). Then the blood pressure lowering effect could create some problems.

Something I saw the other day, that I thought was interesting:
"In the alpine grasslands of eastern Africa, Ethiopian wolves and gelada monkeys are giving peace a chance. The geladas – a type of baboon – tolerate wolves wandering right through the middle of their herds, while the wolves ignore potential meals of baby geladas in favour of rodents, which they can catch more easily when the monkeys are present.
The unusual pact echoes the way dogs began to be domesticated by humans."
Source: Monkeys’ cosy alliance with wolves looks like domestication

Had difficulty playing youtube videoes over the last few days. No sound that I could hear. So I checked all the plugs and wires. Nothing, no change. Looked at the amp and the speakers, for wire breaks or connection problems, tested everything.

Went into Win 10, troubleshot the problem, Win 10 fixed it and I have no idea how. I hate user-friendly. (ʘ_ʘ)⤏Software?

Last edited:
The other night I was reading about clothing controversies and there was something called "the sweater curse". It's a superstition that if someone hand-knits a sweater for their spouse or lover, the couple will break up. There are actually some theories that aren't based on belief in the supernatural on why this might happen. A few of them are:
-Knitting a sweater takes a long time. The relationship might end for other reasons before it's even finished.
-The sweater may be poorly made or unfashionable, and the wearer might feel embarrassed or be ridiculed for wearing.
-The receiver might even not like sweaters, or anything hand-knitted in general (true in my case).
-Since the knitter spent a lot of time and effort on making it, they see the sweater as something really special that came from the heart. But the receiver might just see it as just another plain old sweater, and their lack of enthusiasm or appreciation over it may hurt the knitter very much.
-The knitter might nag the other person a lot if they don't wear the sweater at all or not frequently enough. "Why aren't you wearing that sweater I made you. IF YOU LOVED ME YOU'D WEAR IT! WAHHH!!:cry:

Anyway, whatever the reason might be, it's pretty absurd that a couple decides to break up all because of a sweater.

What have you eaten today? And how much do you know about how it was produced, what was added to it along the way, and how it made its way to your plate?

...food fraud laws have been recorded as early as the 13th century, but the issue really came into focus in the 1800s.

Adulterated milk was one of the first issues that got national attention, and this was roughly in the mid 1800s to late 1800s, both particularly in the UK and the US. And the earliest form of adulterated milk that was really concerning to regulators was actually simply skim milk.

Producers who were making skim milk were adding flour or starch, sometimes carrots for sweetness, but they were also adding things that did pose a public health risk.

So, for instance, chalk was added to increase the whiteness of milk, as well as often sheep or calf brains to froth the milk […] those posed really legitimate health risks that were recognized by early analytic chemists and that really initiated some early food regulations.

WHAT? Sheep or calf brains added to milk to make it frothy? Wonder what's added to skim milk now to make it frothy?

Trust Me, I'm An Expert: Food fraud, the centuries-old problem that won't go away

Found this today under autism on google. It's an advertisement for couples therapy for aspies. If this isn't a stereotypical representation of both sexes I don't know what is. It really made me laugh when I saw it. And they're offering therapy?

funny9_s.jpg

Found this today under autism on google. It's an advertisement for couples therapy for aspies. If this isn't a stereotypical representation of both sexes I don't know what is. It really made me laugh when I saw it. And they're offering therapy?

View attachment 49518

Perhaps what it's depicting is an NT man who has repeatedly said no through non-verbal cues and an autistic woman not receiving those cues and obliviously pursuing him anyway. :)

The "black box" in airplanes is not actually black. It's a bright orange color. Some other people said they knew this from watching the show Mayday, but I would never watch such a disturbing show. As if I couldn't go near planes enough as it is.

After the Christmas Panto last week, I phoned a local Taxi firm on the mobile to get dropped off at home, waited half an hour, no Taxi! I was literally like, what?! This firm are hopeless IMO, the last 3 out of 4 times I've used them they haven't turned up.

Uber are expensive after 5 PM but at least their drivers actually turn up.

20 year battery.jpg

I bought this to remote capable thermometer to monitor the temperature in an area I needed to keep from freezing.

The project ended, and time moved forward.
Lots of time.

Yesterday, I found it buried in a toolbox and was very amazed that it was still functioning on the original battery.

It was been on for 20 years now, think it will go another 20? :D

@Nitro - Watched it the other night, the original is the one I remember the most. It's probably my favourite Christmas film. With the misfits and the land of forgotten toys. Noticed also that I didn't have to figure out what the characters were thinking, they have literally no facial expressions. They smile or frown and sing or talk. It was easy for me to understand as a child, as if they were speaking my language.

View attachment 49956
I bought this to remote capable thermometer to monitor the temperature in an area I needed to keep from freezing.

The project ended, and time moved forward.
Lots of time.

Yesterday, I found it buried in a toolbox and was very amazed that it was still functioning on the original battery.

It was been on for 20 years now, think it will go another 20? :D
Amazing, even considering that there's probably a thermocouple there(they don't require outside power sources).
The little LCD that could?
:p

New Threads

Top Bottom