• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things I like about this forum

Kit

I really like we have the ignore feature because we can just ignore someone if we do not like their opinions or if we feel like we are being provoked by them and bullied. Sometimes members will slip through the cracks where the mods may feel they are not breaking any rules because you cannot prove their intentions.

And here we can like posts or agree with them and it makes me feel valid and that I am not being ignored and people really do care. They just may not know what to say so instead they like the post.

Another forum I use doesn't have any of that stuff. Plus we can view new posts as well that have new responses since my last visit.

I still see this place as Aspies Central because that was how it started out when this forum opened. It has new owners and new admins. I remember when superboyian was one of the admins here and Calvert (I think that was his name) was the main owner of this forum.

This is my one and only forum, sooo happy to have found this, think it has in a small way given me 'my place' where i'm me and for once that's more than ok, thank-you Autismforums, but more so all of us people that share here and help me to feel less alone.

I agree that it's a very good forum and overall is has a feeling of positive support rather than acrimony.

This forum helps ND's feel normal in our way. Very uncritical members and much tolerance of sometimes rants that are quite typical for us as we gingerly walk the NT catwalk.

Also, there is no name calling or personal attacks allowed here. No labeling or accusing a person of anything that is in opposition to one's political ideologies, etc. It's wonderful. It's as it should be.

Last edited:
This is the only forum that is constant with new threads. All the forums I have tried are stagnant and not at all encouraging, when you post and get just one welcome reply from admin.

Once, I joined a forum for social anxiety and the answers I got, made me come out. I mentioned living in France and how awful it is for me, as I am not an adventerous person and I got back: wow, what fun to live there and all the things you can do and the experiences.

Here, I members so supportive and feel safe.

I really like we have the ignore feature because we can just ignore someone if we do not like their opinions or if we feel like we are being provoked by them and bullied. Sometimes members will slip through the cracks where the mods may feel they are not breaking any rules because you cannot prove their intentions.

And here we can like posts or agree with them and it makes me feel valid and that I am not being ignored and people really do care. They just may not know what to say so instead they like the post.

Another forum I use doesn't have any of that stuff. Plus we can view new posts as well that have new responses since my last visit.

I still see this place as Aspies Central because that was how it started out when this forum opened. It has new owners and new admins. I remember when superboyian was one of the admins here and Calvert (I think that was his name) was the main owner of this forum.
I think of it as aspergic.com then Aspies Central as it was what I've read, I go somewhere else for messianic news,I use the inbox

Just like any internet forum, it has advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages:
- a wide range of karma. If someone quotes me, or replies to one of my threads, but I don't have time or anything to add or say, I can leave karma in acknowlegement of their reply.
- a wide range of different members from different countries and backgrounds, but also plenty people around the same age with similar experiences whom I can relate to.
- spamming and bullying amongst members not tolerated.
- I can mark specific forums as read if they don't interest me.
- I can edit my posts even long after posting (usually I do this for typos or grammar mistakes).
- Busy, but not overwhelmingly so.

Disadvantages:
- I don't often 'ignore' individual members, but would like to be able to block certain thread that don't interest me. In the 'off topic' forum for example, there are some that interest me, and others that don't. I'd like to be able to control me 'new posts' feed so I only get posts from thread that interest me and ignore those that don't. For example, I don't want/need to read the Happy Birthday thread, or certain ones in the adult section, these are just going to clutter up my new post feed.
- the forum is censored. Ok, this is necessary in some cases for there to be no bullying/spam as mentioned above, but there are some things that could do with more flexibility: for example, I can't say anything of a political nature, or related to religion in any section that is not for that purpose, even when they are relative to that thread. So sometimes I may want to make a point and can't. Or feel that I can't, because I don't know whether it will be allowed or not, or whether I might find it censored.
- I mentioned earlier that bullying is not allowed, and that is good. But in the past, I do feel like I've been bullied by some members and that was an unpleasant experience.

Last edited:
It is the only forum for ASD that I've been with since my diagnosis.
I'm so glad I found it as it instantly gave me the feeling of finding a place where I felt I actually fit in
and could be me.
I find I'm comfortable sharing some of the rough times that I would not talk with people in RL
with.

It was very educational and I remember thinking how I could hardly believe reading many of the
posts made me feel I was reading my own life issues and traits.
It's really helped with accepting the diagnosis and easing into understanding myself.

It is very well moderated. No fighting or putting others down. Makes for a comfortable feeling of
having a group I can relate to and check in to see new posts and replies every night before
bed time. Helps feelings of lonliness too. :)

I think of it as aspergic.com then Aspies Central as it was what I've read, I go somewhere else for messianic news,I use the inbox

I remember aspergic. Then it got abandoned and taken over by spam bots and then the domain expired.

Just like any internet forum, it has advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages:
- a wide range of karma. If someone quotes me, or replies to one of my threads, but I don't have time or anything to add or say, I can leave karma in acknowlegement of their reply.
- a wide range of different members from different countries and backgrounds, but also plenty people around the same age with similar experiences whom I can relate to.
- spamming and bullying amongst members not tolerated.
- I can mark specific forums as read if they don't interest me.
- I can edit my posts even long after posting (usually I do this for typos or grammar mistakes).
- Busy, but not overwhelmingly so.

Disadvantages:
- I don't often 'ignore' individual members, but would like to be able to block certain thread that don't interest me. In the 'off topic' forum for example, there are some that interest me, and others that don't. I'd like to be able to control me 'new posts' feed so I only get posts from thread that interest me and ignore those that don't. For example, I don't want/need to read the Happy Birthday thread, or certain ones in the adult section, these are just going to clutter up my new post feed.
- the forum is censored. Ok, this is necessary in some cases for there to be no bullying/spam as mentioned above, but there are some things that could do with more flexibility: for example, I can't say anything of a political nature, or related to religion in any section that is not for that purpose, even when they are relative to that thread. So sometimes I may want to make a point and can't. Or feel that I can't, because I don't know whether it will be allowed or not, or whether I might find it censored.
- I mentioned earlier that bullying is not allowed, and that is good. But in the past, I do feel like I've been bullied by some members and that was an unpleasant experience.

I was honestly afraid of coming back to this place when someone made a thread on this website at WP complaining about this forum. They made it sound like it was so strict that anyone would be banned if they didn't like your post or your advice or if they assumed you had an agenda and a hidden motive. And I have had accusations thrown at me before because people assume bad intentions in me or I am guilty by association or they read my posts as snark or me being condescending. So yeah I would feel nervous about a forum if they said how strict it is and how intolerant they are because it means they can misread your posts and make bad assumptions about you and ban you and bam, they are the bullies for gaining up on you.

If people had issues with me here, I would tell them to block me please so they won't see my posts again and be bothered by me. Better than being harassed by them and dealing with their accusations because they assumed bad intentions.

I was honestly afraid of coming back to this place when someone made a thread on this website at WP complaining about this forum. They made it sound like it was so strict that anyone would be banned if they didn't like your post or your advice or if they assumed you had an agenda and a hidden motive. And I have had accusations thrown at me before because people assume bad intentions in me or I am guilty by association or they read my posts as snark or me being condescending. So yeah I would feel nervous about a forum if they said how strict it is and how intolerant they are because it means they can misread your posts and make bad assumptions about you and ban you and bam, they are the bullies for gaining up on you.

If people had issues with me here, I would tell them to block me please so they won't see my posts again and be bothered by me. Better than being harassed by them and dealing with their accusations because they assumed bad intentions.
I've been on two forums, this one and another (not WP) where there was little or no moderation - the moderators were absent and it was more or less left to its own devices so there was constant chaos - two feuding members at each other's throat at every opportunity and hijacking other people's threads with their bickering, swearing/insults, etc. That forum started to become less and less active as people got fed up and started to leave, and eventually it closed down. So yeah, moderation is needed. But I do know of one or two cases of members leaving this forum over clashes with moderators or other members, or being banned - it happens, as it does on most forums. Those disgruntled people might go over to WP and complain about it, just as I've seen disgruntled people from WP are coming over here and complaining.

I've been on two forums, this one and another (not WP) where there was little or no moderation - the moderators were absent and it was more or less left to its own devices so there was constant chaos - two feuding members at each other's throat at every opportunity and hijacking other people's threads with their bickering, swearing/insults, etc. That forum started to become less and less active as people got fed up and started to leave, and eventually it closed down. So yeah, moderation is needed. But I do know of one or two cases of members leaving this forum over clashes with moderators or other members, or being banned - it happens, as it does on most forums. Those disgruntled people might go over to WP and complain about it, just as I've seen disgruntled people from WP are coming over here and complaining.

Was it Aspergic?

I'm finding it simple, really and I haven't worried about being banned here. I agree the written word can sometimes be vague or misinterpreted. What seems simple to me here is any potentially inflammatory or accusatory statement usually beginning with: "You're a....[ ]" or "That guy is a... [ ] and if you agree with something that guy says then you're a...[ ]" has no place here. There are other forums to go to for that. Again, I find it quite simple to follow the rules here.

The interesting possibilty of ND is that we get quite passionate, quite black and white, quite opinionated and thats on a normal day for us. But we learned to moderate here and fit in because the forum has a great members and you do enjoy reading the life experiences and thought process of others.

I'll go into more detail later as I have things to do right now, but I must say, I really like this forum it's definitely my favourite. :)
Unfortunately I don't have time to go over everything, I'm still having difficulty with work and university. But I agree with what most of everyone said on here, especially regarding the firm rules here; the Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen once said, that he believed the reason teenagers in his time were struggling with identity issues, was because they lacked boundaries.

On a note regarding rules and the moderators, I actually get intimidated with forum mods, I sometimes find myself worrying about how I look in front of them; I think part of it is because prior to reverting to Catholicism, I used to be very anti-authoritarian, now I'm over-correcting myself and find myself becoming very self-conscious around authority figures. (Unless of course they, or the site ticks me off, then my anger issues take over.) Here though, I actually don't find myself getting intimidated by them, I did feel a bit self-conscious at first, but now I feel quite comfortable around them. (Especially when one of them has a human-loving moe cockroach for her avatar! ;):D)

I remember aspergic. Then it got abandoned and taken over by spam bots and then the domain expired.
I wondered why the name changed ,still think of it as Aspies central, im too tired to store that much change, I stay with one name.

New Threads

Top Bottom