• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things are looking better

Dillon

i guess it been quite a while since I have been on here as my college semester has been rough with exams, essays and such but I only got one week left to go and finishing out strong. For those who know I am going to school for marine biology where I want to actually study the ecology of pelagic species such as sharks.

I am really excited this is my very last semester living on campus and in a dorm as I will be getting my very first apartment over the summer just 20 minutes away from my school. It will be such a relief living on my own as I went through two awful roommates and this one I am currently with as he, a few weeks ago decided to slap me across my face while I was sleeping just so I would stop snoring. I told the housing coordinators in charge of the dorms and they did absolutely nothing thought I was being so sensitive. There has been a whole bunch of problems living at that campus that had created severe anxiety I could go through a long list but I feel like that would be time consuming.

Enough talking about all the negative stuff though as things are finally looking up as far as getting my first apartment across from the beach, a car, and best of all some sanity and normality. I’ve been so miserable living on campus with no form of transportation to where I had to make the best of the situation living on a isolated island but that will be a thing of the past.

Another thing to look forward to is not being around the people up there 24/7, as usual I don’t have that many friends up there at all but honestly I can care less anymore because the only person I need to impress is myself to live a successful life. People can be jerks all they want and ridicule me but it really doesn’t affect me personally in what I’m trying to do in life such as finishing my degree.

Even though I’m just 23 which people have been criticized by some students at my campus asking why I haven’t lived off campus yet and don’t own a car. To me age does not matter as long as you work towards what you are wanting out of life. I looking forward to what the next few months have to offer.

Last edited:
Good luck with the final week! You'll do great, I've read some of your earlier posts and it really sounds like you love what you do and always put in as much effort as you can! You're right, it doesn't matter what anyone else says, you are doing this for yourself and you have only yourself to impress. Your work ethic is enviable!

I'm glad your living situation will improve, I can't even imagine having to share a room at University, it's not a thing at all in the UK, everyone has their own room even in University accommodation. Your roommate slapping you for something you can't even control is completely out of order - it can actually be classed as assault. However, I can see how it may have annoyed him - still, there should have been other measures he and you could have tried before resorting to violence and disturbing your rest. It's just plain rude. At least - soon, no more worries and you can have peace and quiet in your own space!

Good luck with the final week! You'll do great, I've read some of your earlier posts and it really sounds like you love what you do and always put in as much effort as you can! You're right, it doesn't matter what anyone else says, you are doing this for yourself and you have only yourself to impress. Your work ethic is enviable!

I'm glad your living situation will improve, I can't even imagine having to share a room at University, it's not a thing at all in the UK, everyone has their own room even in University accommodation. Your roommate slapping you for something you can't even control is completely out of order - it can actually be classed as assault. However, I can see how it may have annoyed him - still, there should have been other measures he and you could have tried before resorting to violence and disturbing your rest. It's just plain rude. At least - soon, no more worries and you can have peace and quiet in your own space!

I have had worse roommates such as my first one was dealing drugs like cocaine over the phone while I was in the room and would always talk down to me. My second one had a laboratory retriever puppy in the room cause he claimed he had ADHD when in reality he just didn’t care about coming to school and never want to make an effort. I though me and him were getting along the first few weeks when I start realizing he wanted to take advantage of me of taking care of his own dog while he does nothing. He had his dog one day during the middle of the semester come over and piss on my backpack which had my laptop and everything in it. What does he do well he looks down on the ground tells me to clean it up and says see and walks out of the room.
So yeah I can say I am so done with people after this semester. At least I will be at a place that does not have maintenance problems all the time given that I am paying a few thousand dollars a semester just to live in a tight little space and only get half of the room with the A/C not working half the time, the bathroom faucet smelling like sewage, back patio door does not open and having mold problems on walls and ceiling. I would report about stuff like that but no one lifts a finger to do anything about it.
Again I’ll be so glad to finally live off campus.

I'm sorry you had awful roommates, that honestly sounds like a nightmare! At least no more worries soon and you'll be in control of your own space. :)

i guess it been quite a while since I have been on here as my college semester has been rough with exams, essays and such but I only got one week left to go and finishing out strong. For those who know I am going to school for marine biology where I want to actually study the ecology of pelagic species such as sharks. I am really excited this is my very last semester living on campus and in a dorm as I will be getting my very first apartment over the summer just 20 minutes away from my school. It will be such a relief living on my own as I went through two awful roommates and this one I am currently with as he, a few weeks ago decided to slap me across my face while I was sleeping just so I would stop snoring. I told the housing coordinators in charge of the dorms and they did absolutely nothing thought I was being so sensitive. There has been a whole bunch of problems living at that campus that had created severe anxiety I could go through a long list but I feel like that would be time consuming. Enough talking about all the negative stuff though as things are finally looking up as far as getting my first apartment across from the beach, a car, and best of all some sanity and normality. I’ve been so miserable living on campus with no form of transportation to where I had to make the best of the situation living on a isolated island but that will be a thing of the past. Another thing to look forward to is not being around the people up there 24/7, as usual I don’t have that many friends up there at all but honestly I can care less anymore because the only person I need to impress is myself to live a successful life. People can be jerks all they want and ridicule me but it really doesn’t affect me personally in what I’m trying to do in life such as finishing my degree. Even though I’m just 23 which people have been critized by some students at my campus asking why I haven’t lived off campus yet and don’t own a car. To me age does not matter as long as you work towards what you are wanting out of life. I looking forward to what the next few months have to offer.
Good on you Dillon! Go for it!

Room mates sound terrible. Glad things are going so well and hope they continue to go in positive directions. The light at the end of the tunnel. :)

The condition of that dorm would be criminal in some states, but you're in Texas which is a very live-and-let-live place where the govt actually prides itself in NOT going after "small stuff". And of course college roommate/dorm situations are always awful no matter where you are.

For those outside the US: virtually ALL universities here force students to live in dorms for the first year or two of study, and the dorms are always two or three people to a room. The rooms do not have dividers of any kind, so roommates know each other's business. It's a really horrible situation for NT kids, and even worse for AS kids.

The intent is for kids to "build their networks" meaning that in a place like the US where the only way to get a job is to know somebody important in a corporation one is expected to use university to make friends with other students who in the future may be bigshots in various businesses and thus will hire you. The education part is secondary or even less, the point of college is to get into the upper class by networking with rich kids.

Some universities in the UK do offer shared rooms - St Andrews for one.

I was sure some universities do offer the option, but I guess my assumption was that it generally is not that common. I was originally going to say "it's not a thing in MOST universities", but didn't want to get too nitpicky about it.

I could’ve just go with a single room option as they are plenty of options around where I’m at, only problem is they charge you double the amount than what I would be paying to share a room. The other advantage to living off campus is that it’s cheaper plus I won’t be paying almost $2000 for a meal plan that’s strictly on campus. The food on campus is not the best as food is undercooked at times where at one point the other day I accidentally ate some raw chicken and how do I know that well it still had some blood in it. At least I’ll have some “real food” once this week is over with.

i guess it been quite a while since I have been on here as my college semester has been rough with exams, essays and such but I only got one week left to go and finishing out strong. For those who know I am going to school for marine biology where I want to actually study the ecology of pelagic species such as sharks.
Do you have any plans for the long vacation? When I was a student I cherished dreams of going on a expedition to monitor coral reefs or suchlike but much to my frustration I didn't have a clue how to fundraise the money required, so I never did. It seemed a bit suspect to be asking other people to give me money for what was arguably more of an exotic holiday; as a maths & philosophy student I could hardly claim to be offering relevant skills. I presume it would be a lot easier for a marine biology major to qualify for a travel grant? The expedition organisers I looked at, incidentally, still exist: Coral Cay Conservation and Frontier.

New Threads

Top Bottom