• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

They're building a new Co Op up near my Parents, should I apply to work there?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

Only thing that puts me off is that in June 1998 I applied to the big Co Op in Hillsborough, Sheffield which is now a Home Bargains, and at the interview, the Manager told me to my face that I was overqualified and shop work was "beneath me".

Obviously I'm looking for work in the Retail trade, but I don't want same thing to happen again, also in 1998 I wasn't diagnosed as Aspie.

I've also applied for a few Sales positions on Totaljobs.co.uk, as I get emailed job matches every day from them, but I'm very selective what I have a punt on, no call centres and other Telesales is definitely OUT!

So anyway, could I be a Checkout Operator in a Co Op? Bearing in mind it might be a busy branch? I'm unsure though whether it'll kill the one in the Village, or complement it.

Topic.

Only thing that puts me off is that in June 1998 I applied to the big Co Op in Hillsborough, Sheffield which is now a Home Bargains, and at the interview, the Manager told me to my face that I was overqualified and shop work was "beneath me".

Obviously I'm looking for work in the Retail trade, but I don't want same thing to happen again, also in 1998 I wasn't diagnosed as Aspie.

I've also applied for a few Sales positions on Totaljobs.co.uk, as I get emailed job matches every day from them, but I'm very selective what I have a punt on, no call centres and other Telesales is definitely OUT!

So anyway, could I be a Checkout Operator in a Co Op? Bearing in mind it might be a busy branch? I'm unsure though whether it'll kill the one in the Village, or complement it.

It's entirely your call Rich,
If it's something you feel you could do, Go For It (literally) :)

I've had jobs in retail. I found I didn't enjoy the cashier role but I loved the merchandising. Expectations of me were crystal clear, Managers knew I'd get the job done and then some so left me alone to get on with it. I'm result orientated ( and at the time had mild OCD) so the shelves I stocked looked fantastic (If I do say so myself)
I was usually asked to show/guide the newbies how to do a good job when they first joined the team. It wasn't rocket science, just repetitive (routine) and involved a little bit of heavy lifting. When I worked my contracted hours and grabbed a bit of overtime I could earn as much as someone I knew who had a stressful admin/office/customer facing type job.
My job was much less stressful for a similar amount of money... no brainer really... :)

I think it opens at the end of the month, I might call in nearer the time.

I think, Rich, that you should call now, because they will want workers for when the shop opens and just a sort of residue of interviews after that; so get in there now, aspie friend.

New Threads

Top Bottom