• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

There is zero scientific evidence people with autism are neurodiverse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthias

Oh give it a rest, please! There's all kinds of research evidence appearing on this now, and it supports the experience that a lot of us have that our processes in interacting and processing interactions are different from what is usual. It's a common and central identified aspect of autism.

I have studied the science of autism for years. There is zero scientific evidence that autistic brains are wired differently.

If it were easily curable for most people, that would not be the case. The qualified people who have worked on this and all the qualified therapist's would have cured a massive amount of their clients, after all, you reckon it only takes some CBT videos and less than a years therapy. But hey, the whole scientific community around autism can't seem to agree with you on this...

Other people not being cured by CBT is irrelevant. It just means they weren't able to identify and change the beliefs that caused their symptoms. Given how stubborn older people with autism can be, that's not surprising.

And as Autism is understood to be at least 50% genetic, and highly hereditable, involving over 70 different genes, I think we'll be hearing more about these complex issues as research continues.

Depression is 50% genetic too. Major Depression and Genetics

It just means that genes predispose or increase the likelihood of someone becoming autistic. I does NOT mean autism is caused by genetics.

In terms of your own progress which you routinely offer as if it is persuasive evidence to refute some other individuals experience, what are you thinking this proves? Who knows whether your brain or experience is typical? Judging by responses here and on threads all over this autism forum, you're not at all typical, have you noticed?

It proves the sweeping generalizations of those here who insist autism is solely genetic in every case isn't true.

I've never heard a qualified practitioner of CBT suggest it suits everyone, because they know it doesn't. During their training they look at the research base of the approaches, and like people in training on all other well performing therapies, they learn that no one approach suits all, different therapies have different strengths, as many people here have found.

I never claimed CBT suits everyone. People need to be willing to change and want to get better.

Secondly, although an individual may feel they have progressed, others may not always see any evidence that that is the case. For example, an individual who is unable to tolerate views other than their own, may say they get along fine with others and have no problems in communication, yet constantly present evidence that this is not the case.

I can see my views aren't tolerated by many posters here. I don't agree with their kind of black and white thinking.

Eg, by offering facile computer links to little tests that are supposed to prove to someone who is highly intelligent and has already examined the evidence, that they are depressed! How rude. Someone who does this clearly doesn't have good skills in getting along with others. Or they're a troll.

It's not uncommon for people who repress their emotions to be unaware of their emotions. That's neither rude nor surprising. I post here to help people. It's not my fault if people don't have the skills to tolerate opposing viewpoints.

Last edited:
I have studied the science of autism for years.

Oh really? How and where did you study it?

There is zero scientific evidence that autistic brains are wired differently.

According to...? Cite your sources please.

Other people not being cured by CBT is irrelevant. It just means they weren't able to identify and change the beliefs that caused their symptoms. Given how stubborn people with autism can be, that's not surprising. The scientific evidence agrees with me.

Could you please site the evidence that agrees with you?

My evidence is science. It proves the sweeping generalizations of those here who insist autism is solely genetic in every case isn't true.

So far you have not provided any evidence.

I wasn't misdiagnosed. I clearly met the criteria.

But I was misdiagnosed, even though I clearly do not meet the criteria for depression?

I can see my views aren't tolerated by many posters here. I don't agree with their kind of black and white thinking.

The problem is with how you are presenting your views.

It's not uncommon for people who repress their emotions to be unaware of their emotions. That's neither rude nor surprising. I post here to help people. It's not my fault if people don't have the skills to tolerate opposing viewpoints.

So far you come off as someone who is making stuff up, which is why I keep asking you to cite sources to back you up.

Oh really? How and where did you study it?

Yes. Don't care whether you believe me.

According to...? Cite your sources please.

It's basic logic that it's impossible to prove that something doesn't exist. The burden of proof is on you to show the evidence if it exists.

Could you please site the evidence that agrees with you?

So far you have not provided any evidence.

So far you come off as someone who is making stuff up, which is why I keep asking you to cite sources to back it up.

I've lost count how many times I posted science to back up all of my claims. It was ignored every time. I won't waste my time posting it again.

I have studied the science of autism for years. There is zero scientific evidence that autistic brains are wired differently.

On the first page of a google scholar search I found these papers in peer reviewed journals discussing neurological differences in autistic brains. The first link is a good review of the subject.

Neuroanatomic observations of the brain in autism: a review and future directions - ScienceDirect
Autism and Abnormal Development of Brain Connectivity
Error - Cookies Turned Off
Mapping Early Brain Development in Autism - ScienceDirect

Yes. Don't care whether you believe me.

That does not answer my question, which was; how and where did you study the science of autism?

It's basic logic that it's impossible to prove that something doesn't exist. The burden of proof is on you to show the evidence if it exists.

No the burden is on you to back up what you are claiming. And it seems obvious you can not.

I've lost count how many times I posted science to back up all of my claims. It was ignored every time. I won't waste my time posting it again.

Where did you post it? Link please.

So many posts I've lost count. I didn't make a list of links so you'd have to search for them.

lol

Last edited:
"...A growing number of academic publications from several scholarly communities has examined autism and autistic people from the neurodiversity perspective (Biklen, Attfield, Bissonnette, Blackman, Burke, et al., 2005; Baker, 2006; Davidson, 2007; Savareese, 2007; Osteen, 2007; Robertson, 2007; Ne'eman, 2007; Fenton & Krahn, 2007; Glannon, 2007; Bumiller, 2008; Clarke & Ameron, 2008; Rocque, 2008; Robertson & Ne'eman, 2008; Broderick & Ne'eman, 2008; Wilson, 2008; Bound, 2008; Ortega, 2009; Pollack, 2009).

In contrast to the deficit model, the neurodiversity perspective describes the neurology and personhood of autistic people through the lens of human diversity. This understanding of neurological-developmental disability has been influenced by societal diversity in ethnicity, religion, gender, nationality, handedness, and sexual orientation.

Autistic people are viewed under the neurodiversity model as individuals who possess a blend of cognitive strengths and weaknesses in the following core domains:

• Language, Communication, and Social Interaction
  • Sensory Processing (environmental input)
  • Motor Skill Execution (environmental output)
  • Goal-oriented and Reflexive Thinking, Planning, and Self-Regulation
Although relative strengths and difficulties in these core domains remain specific to the individual, numerous commonalities exist. For instance, many autistic people have key strengths that include detailed thinking, expansive long-term memories, a comfort with rules and guidelines, and an affinity for analyzing complex patterns in the social and physical worlds. Likewise, many autistic people have key difficulties in managing several simultaneous tasks, understanding social nuances, filtering competing sensory stimuli, and planning tasks of daily living. Professionals and academic researchers who adopt the neurodiversity perspective on autism often specifically emphasize the strengths, gifts, and talents of autistic people in an effort to establish a balance of focus in the academic and professional literature.."

Neurodiversity, Quality of Life, and Autistic Adults: Shifting Research and Professional Focuses onto Real-Life Challenges | Robertson | Disability Studies Quarterly

Oh dear, OP - your posting style does you no justice whatsoever.

You totally lack any credibility.

Please cite your sources.

Oh dear, OP - your posting style does you no justice whatsoever.

You totally lack any credibility.

Please cite your sources.

I agree

Makes me believe they're just here to ruffle people up to gain negative reaction with non-sense such as the above. Or in other words, Troll us.

I highly suggest any further posts from this person be ignored.

I did not realize that FormerlyAutistic changed his username to Matthias.

and the fact that he's still here is a tad concerning; I believe he was still pulling the same "hijinks" when I was here last, if I'm not mistaken

and the fact that he's still here is a tad concerning; I believe he was still pulling the same "hijinks" when I was here last, if I'm not mistaken

Your analysis of him is spot on in my opinion. A combination of spamming and trolling. He's been currently totally derailing someone's thread with it.

The burden of proof is on you to show the evidence if it exists.
No. You are the one making this claim in your post, so the burden of proof is on you to provide it - included in the post where the claim is made; telling people to look for it themselves isn't just good enough. Otherwise how do you expect others to take it seriously? Claims on scientific facts have no validity unless backed up by evidence. You need to quote your sources.

I feel sorry for him. He's in total denial, angry that others refuse to declare him as neurotypical, angry that people are laughing at him, and is acting like a troll.

Adios, whoever you are, whatever name you are using this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom