• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

There Be Football In This Here State

Judge

V.I.P Member
The times they are a changing. Seems only a few years ago most Nevadans I talked to rolled their eyes at the prospects of any major league professional teams of any kind. Mostly due to a perceived corruption and conflict-of-interest potential given the gaming industry includes hosting legal sports betting.

Clearly such concerns have fallen by the wayside.

And to think in the first year of an NHL franchise, Las Vegas went to the Stanley Cup last year. We even have a WNBA team in Las Vegas- the Aces. Now the AFC's Raiders (formerly of Oakland Ca.) have officially relocated to Las Vegas as well.

Raiders Officially Renamed To Las Vegas Raiders

I like your thread title. :) I'm not into sports, but are you saying the Nevadans frown on legal sports betting?

I like your thread title. :) I'm not into sports, but are you saying the Nevadans frown on legal sports betting?

Not frown on sports betting itself. It was more a concern of increased corruption if you factor in an exposure of professional sports on top of legalized betting. As if it might encourage "conflicts of interest". Compounded by the importance of protecting tourism and gaming which was once paramount to the state's economy.

Quite understandable when you consider that only a mere three decades ago that a lot of the gaming industry in Nevada was controlled or manipulated by "racketeering influenced corrupt organizations". With collusion between them and certain state gaming commission individuals.

History shows us that legalized gambling isn't necessary to create such "problems" with professional sports:

Black Sox Scandal - Wikipedia

ESPN documentary 'Banned for Life*' examines Pete Rose lifetime ban, Black Sox scandal

How Astros cheating affair compares to MLB's PED scandal

Last edited:
How much strain will the stadium put on the water supply?

Also, it seems blasphemous to have the Raiders leave Oakland. Then when you consider that a team named the Raiders who use pirate imagery are going to be an inland team, it makes it all the worse.

How much strain will the stadium put on the water supply?

Also, it seems blasphemous to have the Raiders leave Oakland. Then when you consider that a team named the Raiders who use pirate imagery are going to be an inland team, it makes it all the worse.

Good question. Though our water supply is dependent on the snow pack in the Sierras. Doing quite well so far. Las Vegas? The Colorado River, for better or worse. That's for Clark County to fret over.

Blasphemous, indeed. I still recall when they left Oakland for Los Angeles! ;)

All those "Al Davis you SOB" bumper stickers. And San Diego losing the Chargers. It happens. Pro sports in general is an intensely mercenary business. Reno would like to host the Raiders' summer camp facility, but I think Mark Davis wants Napa even more. Understandable given players' present ties to the Bay Area. Oh well.

As for their logo, I don't think anyone in Nevada really cares whether pirates plundered the coast of California or not. As a kid I used to get the Raiders and the Vikings logos mixed up all the time. Frankly just the mere notion of pro sports teams in Nevada seems more bizarre. Still have whiplash over how well the Golden Knights started off last season in hockey.

Though I did have some fond memories of the Coliseum. Always loved how easy it was to take BART directly to the stadium from the Diablo Valley. Too bad the stadium has gotten so decrepit with time, but then we're talking about more than 50 years. The place needs more than just a facelift. Though I'm still an A's fan as well.

Last edited:
I do believe that makes the Raiders the closest team to southwest Idaho. I might have to become a Raiders fan. I still do not like the Wolf Pack however. Not after that game.

I do believe that makes the Raiders the closest team to southwest Idaho. I might have to become a Raiders fan. I still do not like the Wolf Pack however. Not after that game.

With the Raiders you need not worry about the players. But the Raider Nation? I'm not so sure. :oops: Though I'd like to think that fans in Las Vegas will probably be a bit tamer. Just hope they aren't as noisy as those in Seattle.

Yeah, that post-game fight was ugly and unnecessary. But then you have Boise State. ;)

The Pack in comparison...continues to go in circles since they lost coach Chris Ault.

But for me the season isn't over yet. I'm still a huge Niners fan. :cool:

Last edited:
With the Raiders you need not worry about the players. But the Raider Nation? I'm not so sure. :oops: Though I'd like to think that fans in Las Vegas will probably be a bit tamer. Just hope they aren't as noisy as those in Seattle.

Yeah, that post-game fight was ugly and unnecessary. But then you have Boise State. ;)

The Pack in comparison...continues to go in circles since they lost coach Chris Ault.

But for me the season isn't over yet. I'm still a huge Niners fan. :cool:

Me to. It would really be nice to have a western Super Bowl champ.

Me to. It would really be nice to have a western Super Bowl champ.

I'd love to attend my fifth 49ers Super Bowl parade, but that isn't likely to happen. Not that I don't think they can win, but that I don't travel over the Sierras from November to April every year. (Ask the Donner Party)

Then again the idea of returning to the Bay Area really doesn't interest me anyways. Yet those Super Bowl parades were fun. All those people downtown in the City in such a great mood. It was wild. Without any fear of having a shutdown too. But then I worked I the financial district. To be in the middle of it all merely took stepping outside the office I worked in. :cool:

Last edited:
I figured they'd change their name with the move to Vegas. Become a whole new team; new city, new name.

New Threads

Top Bottom