• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Therapy Cat Helps Autistic Girl To Reduce Anxiety

Vanilla

Your friendly neighbourhood hedgehog
V.I.P Member
image.jpg

Remember when we wrote about Iris Grace, the incredibly talented 5-year-old girl with autism who paints beautiful pictures? It turns out that she has a behind-the-scenes helper who’s also worthy of praise – that’s Thula, her therapeutic cat.

Thula, who is almost 1 year old, is a Maine Coon. This breed is known as the intelligent and gentle giant of the cat world and though she’s still small and young, Thula does not disappoint. Her gentle and compassionate character is especially important for Iris, a young girl growing up with autism; “Thula has lowered [Iris'] daily anxieties in life and keeps Iris calm,” Iris’ mother, Arabella Carter-Johnson, told Bored Panda, “but equally has the effect of encouraging her to be more social. She will talk more to Thula, saying little phrases like ‘sit cat.’

Carter-Johnson, had almost given up on the search for a therapeutic animal companion for her daughter. When Iris happened to connect with a Siberian cat that her family would up cat-sitting for Christmas, however, she realized that she “just hadn’t found the right animal yet.” For more info about Thula and Iris, read more of Carter-Johnson’s interview with Bored Panda!

Continue Reading Here: Heartwarming Friendship Of A 5-Year-Old Girl With Autism And Her Therapy Cat | Bored Panda

I have been advised by my therapeutic professionals that my acquiring a service/therapy dog would be of great benefit. From reading about Iris Grace.. they seem to be a good idea..

Finding one that I can afford seems a bit of a challenge though...

It's amazing really, how animals can greatly improve the lives of people with autism or other disabilities. Iris is a remarkably talented girl, and Thula is just adorable. I wish them both the best for the future.

Iris Grace is quite an remarkable natural artist... I love her work!!!!! You cannot get more honest than the paintings of a child.. particularly those of an autistic child... Check them out.... I hope posting a link is ok... I also hope it isn't a repost...
Thanks for the link! Such beautiful art from a beautiful child. :)

Nice posts Vanilla and Lucas...:)

I am in the process of getting permission to keep a pet fox as my therapeutic critter ;)

Aww...cute :)

Are they a common house-hold pet over there?
no,not actually...they can be domesticated after exposure to humans with a little bit of work...they behave like a mixture of both a dog and a cat

In my state they make us spend two years with an accredited facility for a hands on learning experience before getting a permit

If they catch you with one without a permit,they take it away and destroy it...go figure :rolleyes:

Fizz - my therapy dog. Fizz has identity issues, she thinks she is a cat. Cats from the neighborhood come to visit Fizz and sleep next to her.

Attachments

• IMG_8890.jpg
    IMG_8890.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 407
I really want a Maine Coon someday. Although partially for giggles since we'd have this monstrous cat along with our little white rat of a chihuahua.

This just reminds me too much of Grade 8, which was probably the best year of schooling. Much of that I credit to the cat we had at the time, Pooky.

Although she was a regular cat, she was really good to me (and hated my sister, additional bonus! :p) She was my good friend when I needed one.

Then my parents had her fixed and let her go outside. She didn't last much longer after that. :(

This just reminds me too much of Grade 8, which was probably the best year of schooling. Much of that I credit to the cat we had at the time, Pooky.

Although she was a regular cat, she was really good to me (and hated my sister, additional bonus! :p) She was my good friend when I needed one.

Then my parents had her fixed and let her go outside. She didn't last much longer after that. :(
Aw, sorry about your cat Flinty

As a child, our family Chihuahua was my best friend. I suppose he acted as my therapy dog without my even realizing it.

My pro's are all swearing that a service dog would do me wonders now as an adult. They are so bloody expensive though, and no insurance I am aware of will cover it.

There are a few places to get a trained service dog at no cost... but the waiting list is years and it would still cost a lot to move there for the training period...

I have been searching for about a year for a good program. My best bet that I have found so far is about 2 hours from me and will cost around $5000. As apprehensive as I am, I am going to figure out a way to raise the funds.

Postscript--- There really needs to be an organization that will assist disabled folks pay for service animals... .If I cannot find one... and I succeed at getting a service dog on my own... I will make such an organization myself.

It is always very sad to lose a friend.... You are very lucky to have had her in your life.. and she was very lucky to have had you..:)

As a child, our family Chihuahua was my best friend. I suppose he acted as my therapy dog without my even realizing it.

My pro's are all swearing that a service dog would do me wonders now as an adult. They are so bloody expensive though, and no insurance I am aware of will cover it.

There are a few places to get a trained service dog at no cost... but the waiting list is years and it would still cost a lot to move there for the training period...

I have been searching for about a year for a good program. My best bet that I have found so far is about 2 hours from me and will cost around $5000. As apprehensive as I am, I am going to figure out a way to raise the funds.

Postscript--- There really needs to be an organization that will assist disabled folks pay for service animals... .If I cannot find one... and I succeed at getting a service dog on my own... I will make such an organization myself.
I've never dealt with dogs outside of pets, but what's so special about a service dog for therapy? Shouldn't it just be a simple matter of going to the pound or seller's house and just seeing which dog warms up to you first?

New Threads

Top Bottom