• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Theory on body language in NTs and ASs

Aspie_rin

So the experts, and most people, claim that most autistic people do not use body language (or use it less)such as facial expressions, postures, etc. Also, most autistic people have at least some trouble reading body language. However, I'm wondering if these two are really the truth...

By reading through blogs and forums, I've learned that at least some autistic people who have problems reading NT body language have no problems reading another autistic's body language, even when NTs do not detect any form of reaction.

So I believe that the problem AS people have with non verbal communication doesn't come from a deficiency in body language, but from the fact that they use a different body language. Nts have their body language, and we have ours.

It still makes it difficult though, but instead of being inherently disabled in that regard, maybe we only have difficulties because we're a minority?

i dont think i meet your theory though assuming you were including the whole spectrum in this,i have no awareness of body language and only know of it through people talking about it online or on tv shows like lie to me, because of my autism [severe classic up to 20s] i see people as the same generic shape of flesh and they eventually blend into the background-its hard to understand them-even verbally it takes a while to turn their words into imagery then form words from the imagery that comes into my head as a reply,i really struggle to process humans and their intricate ways.
i dont think itd matter if i was aware of body language,i seem to get along good without it.
sorry i know this post isnt answering what you asked.

That's why I made sure to say ''most'' and ''at least a few'', because I know that we are all different and that some people have no sense of body language at all. But it seems weird that some AS are more able to read AS body language than a NT (who sometimes doesn't even notice that the AS is using body language!).

And I found what you said to be interesting. Now I know that it doesn't apply to everyone. :)

I wonder if it could be an aspie only thing though, since every case I've read about was from an aspie or from someone who I don't know have classic autism or asperger's

It's an interesting theory. I have learned to improve my body language so that it's more open and inviting to NT's (as I'm training to be a doctor, this is very important) but I used to get a lot of comments on my "closed" body language.
I used to have my arms folded when in a conversation, because I felt very uncomfortable most of the times.
I still get comments on my posture every now and then when I'm in the pub and everyone's leaning on the bar while I'm usually leaning back. I get told this makes me seem distant and I understand where people are coming from, but I usually sit this way because it allows me to follow all the conversations in the room.

So the experts, and most people, claim that most autistic people do not use body language (or use it less)such as facial expressions, postures, etc. Also, most autistic people have at least some trouble reading body language. However, I'm wondering if these two are really the truth...

By reading through blogs and forums, I've learned that at least some autistic people who have problems reading NT body language have no problems reading another autistic's body language, even when NTs do not detect any form of reaction.

So I believe that the problem AS people have with non verbal communication doesn't come from a deficiency in body language, but from the fact that they use a different body language. Nts have their body language, and we have ours.

It still makes it difficult though, but instead of being inherently disabled in that regard, maybe we only have difficulties because we're a minority?

That is a interesting theory, however I see it as another example of how we are all different. Whether we are nero-typical or nero-diverse.

I have opposite. I am like 12 so I fling my arms around in glee like a *******ing idiot. Way TOO much expression and people just back away.

But I agree! It is just a difference. When I am with others like me, they get it. They see I am HAPPY, on that very rare day.

I have opposite. I am like 12 so I fling my arms around in glee like a *******ing idiot. Way TOO much expression and people just back away.

But I agree! It is just a difference. When I am with others like me, they get it. They see I am HAPPY, on that very rare day.

I am like a 12 year old too. When I have read something that really pleases me, I wring my hands and bob up and down and squeal in delight. Not so much in public; a milder version and yes, way too much expression going on. Some find it endearing and others find it plain embarrassing to watch and so, I do try to temper it.

I use (and read others') body language and facial expressions when speaking, and I often have to "consider" what I'm about to say in order to be certain no one understands it.

There are people who ask questions about "what do folded hands mean," or something similar without realizing that "body language" is a "whole package" thing.

In order to be able to *include* gestures to determine someone's response, you have to be able to see everything at once -- eyes, tone of voice, who is speaking, where, when, etc.

That being said, however, I believe that ASD spectrum individuals (or others) who are said to be "unable to interpret body language," or who appear "socially awkward," are being evaluated by professionals who are observing from the "outside" and not the inside.

For example, my words mean a great deal to me and if I'm in the doctor's office explaining what's bothering me, I honestly don't believe he's hearing the same language I'm speaking in.

For instance, if I'm asked what my pain level is for the day and I say a "3" (on a 1-10 scale), that "3" is based on MY level of pain. So, if my level of pain is a 3, it might be a 12 on the doctor's level. No two people in pain experience or tolerate it the same way.

When asked about my "moods," I explain that I don't have any. I have good moments with friends, but my "mood" basically remains the same. It's not a bad or good mood, it's just me.

So, for the doctor, he (mistakenly) diagnosed me with depression, and that stuck -- until I was diagnosed with Asperger's.

Then I (and my new doctor) realized the "depression" had actually been severe anxiety. I wasn't using different words to describe my situation, but the "new" doctor was fluent in the Aspie language I was speaking.

New Threads

Top Bottom