• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

sisselcakes

V.I.P Member
I was talking with a friend of mine and had an epiphany of sorts. Would like your feedback.

I recently broached the maybe-you-have-Asperger's subject with my bf. We have had some relationship issues I felt were influenced by his ASD-like thinking. He is almost 50 years old and says no one has ever suggested it. He disagrees about "having" Asperger's but says he can relate to some of the features. Plus, he says, what would he do about it anyway?

I had broken up with him prior to this convo because he is obsessed with weight, diet, exercise, etc. and was putting his unrealistic expectations on me to the point of being judgmental. I couldn't deal with it and won't put up with someone disrespecting me. We later had a long talk and I set limits with what he could say to me. It was probably the second serious talk we've had in our year-long relationship and it went quite well. In spite of our productive talk, I'm still resentful about some things he has said and those he hasn't said.

He doesn't do the compliment thing. I've explained it on many occasions- why it's important to give your partner positive feedback. I tell him I don't think he "gets it" and he says "I'm not a moron". I think, "No comment". LOL He truly does not understand my (and almost every other woman's) need to feel desirable and physically attractive. Getting a compliment from him is like pulling teeth and it feels pretty sucky to ask for one. I know he is attracted to me, it just feels demoralizing to never hear it.

In a moment of seriousness he said that it's not easy to compliment me when he feels bad about himself. He says it feels awkward. I thought that was extremely selfish. Then I realized something. I started to think back to the times when I've felt insulted by him. Every single time has been over a subject that he judges himself on like skipping the gym, eating something "unhealthy", being productive enough, etc. It occurred to me that it's as if he sees me as himself. Could this be the whole "theory of mind" thing - the inability to put oneself in someone else's shoes? Assuming everyone thinks or should think like you do? When I've told him in the past not everyone thinks like he does, he responds, "they should." I'm thinking he really doesn't get it.

Has anyone else experienced this type of dynamic?

Last edited:
I have experienced this in a very limited way with an Aspie who I know socially- . We've had the same conversation you mention: when I say not everyone thinks like you, he responds, "they should."

I need to say, autists not having a theory of mind is kind of a myth. Or at least not all of us lack a theory of mind... However, in my case at least, if I think something is the truth, I think that everyone should believe that, even though I understand that not everyone believes it, and that they have reasons not to. However I'm always willing to listen to even the most controversial opinon and sometimes changed my mind.... oops, I think I'm a bit off topic now, sorry for rambling about me but I wanted to make sure you didn't believe something that is false... But maybe that's what he means when he says ''they should''

However, I can see that health and efficiency seem to be special interest for him (or what you call obsessions) and he doesn't get why not everyone would want to be as healthy and efficient as they can, but I think he might get it if you explain him why.

New Threads

Top Bottom