• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The reason we can say F and V words.

Mia

V.I.P Member
Scientists have after years of research discovered that we can say words beginning with F's or V's because our jaws and teeth have changed over time.

About 12,000 years ago the neolithic revolution happened. Before that we ate plant and animal foods, and our teeth (upper and lower) met for grinding these foods. During the neolithic period we as humans settled more into communities and grew food and tamed animals.

Then as we began eating softer foods, our lower and upper jaws slowly changed in shape and we developed more of an overbite and some an underbite or both. Eventually we became able to verbalize words with V or F's in them.

Wonder if that was when swearing began?

What do you think?

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/mar...the-reason-we-can-say-f-words-today-1.5065948

Last edited:
The position of the teeth and the shape of the jaw influence the
ability to make sounds. Some speech teachers I have known had to
put off classes for some kids until they their teeth grew back in
or had dental work done.

I doubt that softer foods and the ability to say "V" and "F" sounds
has anything to do with swearing. Many curse words and vulgarities
start with other sounds.

upload_2019-4-5_17-20-8.png
upload_2019-4-5_17-21-37.png

As precise as the study of phonetics and phonics is,
and the amount of effort that speech teachers put in
to working out ways for people to learn to speak
intelligibly, I am at a loss to figure out why the few
responses so far to this thread have been to take
it as a joke. [It, being the study of how people
make sounds, for communication.]

I am at a loss to figure out why the few
responses so far to this thread have been to take
it as a joke. [It, being the study of how people
make sounds, for communication.]

Because of it being directed toward swearing. Other than that, it would be simply about human evolution.

My main problem with this sort of science is the abundance of "may" and "could" and "possibly," to the point that nothing was actually said and it's just a fanciful theory apparently formed to entertain someone somewhere until the next one replaces this one as this one replaced another.

I'm going off only this article, I don't claim to be an expert in this or any field.

Look up TH fronting.

This is the modern trend where words with TH are being replaced with 'f'

Perhaps a more efficient way to speak,
Peehaps cultural, languages naturally change over time.

Look up TH fronting.

This is the modern trend where words with TH are being replaced with 'f'

Perhaps a more efficient way to speak,
Peehaps cultural, languages naturally change over time.

You have me paranoid now and I thought this was made-up, but I googled it and it's not! :eek:

So TH fronting is a thing?

I fought it wasn’t being forough enough with correction or perhaps a hearing deficit.?

Fingers and fumbs
Fursday

I notice the f sound replacing the correct th sound a lot in younger children

It all makes sense now...aim for the jaws and teeth! This explains why I always got slapped in the face for saying those F and V words.

I wish the letter F never existed in the English language. It is the worst letter EVER!

Wait it did not exist in early languages so maybe this article has some merit.

New Threads

Top Bottom