• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Rationale Behind My Social Security Denial

Andrew206

I got the decision on my appeal last Friday. Here are the key points as explained in the decision:

I’m insured for disability through December 31, 2025.

I haven’t done any substantial gainful activity since August 3, 2018.

My impairments are depression, anxiety, and autism.

My impairments don’t meet a listing as explained in 20 CFR Part 404, Subpart P, Appendix 1 (20 CFR 404.1520(d), 404.1525 and 404.1526)

I have a residual functional capacity to do a full range of work at all exertional levels but with these non-exertional limitations:

I’m limited to a static work environment with few changes, and any changes are explained to me. I’m not able to perform at a production rate pace, but I can perform goal-oriented work, such as an office cleaner.

The mental health counselor I had when I filed for disability is not an acceptable medical source.

I can appeal to the Appeals Council or the Appeals Council can initiate a review of my case within 60 days.

Alright. At least you have a starting point. My girlfriend started her own cleaning company but she stuck to vacation rentals.

Maybe this is hard to accept right now. I hope you are handling this news and taking some deep breaths. Feels like nobody understands how hard people interaction is for us in jobs.

Anyways, keep moving forward. Try something else perhaps?

Alright. At least you have a starting point. My girlfriend started her own cleaning company but she stuck to vacation rentals.

Maybe this is hard to accept right now. I hope you are handling this news and taking some deep breaths. Feels like nobody understands how hard people interaction is for us in jobs.

Anyways, keep moving forward. Try something else perhaps?
It’s been tough for me to handle. I’ve thought of trying to find a job where I’m working with minimal distractions, but those are rare where I live. I’m not sure how I would do starting my own business. I’m at a loss as to where to go and what to do next.

It’s been tough for me to handle. I’ve thought of trying to find a job where I’m working with minimal distractions, but those are rare where I live. I’m not sure how I would do starting my own business. I’m at a loss as to where to go and what to do next.

You are in Washington, I'd look into trimming medicinal or recreational cannabis. It pays well and it's actually pretty fun and focusing work in my opinion. When I did it, I'd work 12 hours a day just sitting and trimming while listening to music. I'd make $500 on a good day as they usually pay around $175 per pound for good trim work.

Just a suggestion.

When you clean, my friend had her vacuum cleaner and some cleaning supplies. Then you check in ads to find out what clients will pay you hourly. You should have a two hour minimum. Or go to look online and work for company until you feel ready to do on your own. Security guard can be mostly low stress and they train you. Do you like to paint? Or mow lawns? Where l live, there are many retirement homes, and they train and hire for all kinds of positions. Libraries are very peaceful places to work. Can you see if you can volunteer and maybe get experience? Hope this gives you some ideas.

It always takes time for us to process and get a grip of what we feel. Try to slowly start thinking about it. There are success stories here, but there is some hard work in getting there. But l think you can do this.☺

When you clean, my friend had her vacuum cleaner and some cleaning supplies. Then you check in ads to find out what clients will pay you hourly. You should have a two hour minimum. Or go to look online and work for company until you feel ready to do on your own. Security guard can be mostly low stress and they train you. Do you like to paint? Or mow lawns? Where l live, there are many retirement homes, and they train and hire for all kinds of positions. Libraries are very peaceful places to work. Can you see if you can volunteer and maybe get experience? Hope this gives you some ideas.

It always takes time for us to process and get a grip of what we feel. Try to slowly start thinking about it. There are success stories here, but there is some hard work in getting there. But l think you can do this.☺
I like painting. I like mowing lawns. I don’t need volunteer experience. I need a good job as soon as possible. Most of these opportunities are posted online, which means more competition. I’m not getting much help with my job search. I’m seriously lost.

But when l was depressed about looking for a job, my friend told me you won't know until you apply. We start looking at the negatives and we haven't even left the house. If you feel lost, l think that's normal. Then you have to just start applying. And some people will tell you *no*. The other option is home companion. Do they have any jobs for that? I have cashiered. I love the repetition of counting money. Have you considered that? If you wash dishes, restaurants feed you usually. It's going be scary, but eventually if you keep at it , it could happen. Can you apply for a job everyday? Just to get you on a goal of working?

Last edited:
I delivered free* newspapers for almost 13 years.

*Free to the subscriber; the company paid me.

I like painting. I like mowing lawns. I don’t need volunteer experience. I need a good job as soon as possible. Most of these opportunities are posted online, which means more competition. I’m not getting much help with my job search. I’m seriously lost.

Is there a career center or similar that can help? I'm not sure where you are located, we have them where I live. There may be an organization that works specifically with people with disabilities.

I have to roll my eyes at the first reason why you were denied - you haven't done any work since 2018. To me that reads like "can't get disability because you've been disabled".

I have to roll my eyes at the first reason why you were denied - you haven't done any work since 2018. To me that reads like "can't get disability because you've been disabled".

Just to clarify, that's not a reason for denial. It's an observation.
Contribution based disability pensions, like SSDI, usually require that the claimant have made a certain amount (time and/or monetary) amount of contributions, and also that the onset of the disability be within a certain time frame of when they last worked.

In this case, what the judge is saying is that they are not satisfied that our friend meets one of the disabilities that automatically qualifies, which resulted in them reviewing residual functional limitations and assessing if there is the potential there for gainful work, which in their opinion, there is.

When the beginning and end are read together, they are saying that Andrew has the right to appeal this decision to the Appeal Council. However, Andrew also has the ability to submit new SSDI applications with any disability onset date up to the end of 2025, in the event that the challenges he faces increases.

You are in Washington, I'd look into trimming medicinal or recreational cannabis. It pays well and it's actually pretty fun and focusing work in my opinion. When I did it, I'd work 12 hours a day just sitting and trimming while listening to music. I'd make $500 on a good day as they usually pay around $175 per pound for good trim work.

Just a suggestion.

What do they do with the trimmings? That sounds like good pay. Why don't you do it any longer?

But when l was depressed about looking for a job, my friend told me you won't know until you apply. We start looking at the negatives and we haven't even left the house. If you feel lost, l think that's normal. Then you have to just start applying. And some people will tell you *no*. The other option is home companion. Do they have any jobs for that? I have cashiered. I love the repetition of counting money. Have you considered that? If you wash dishes, restaurants feed you usually. It's going be scary, but eventually if you keep at it , it could happen. Can you apply for a job everyday? Just to get you on a goal of working?
I apply daily. Mostly for jobs I know (dishwasher, janitor, etc.). Many of them give an automated rejection. When I interview alone, I feel really uncomfortable, even though I’ve practiced. I think I need someone to vouch for me to a potential employer so it isn’t as scary for me to approach a potential employer.

Is there a career center or similar that can help? I'm not sure where you are located, we have them where I live. There may be an organization that works specifically with people with disabilities.

I’ve been working since 2018. Just not at substantial gainful activity levels. There are career centers where I live, but they’re closed to in-person help because of COVID-19. I could meet with them virtually.

We are here for you. l was let go but thankful because l was stressed beyond belief. My great boss left who l believe was on the spectrum. We got along great and probably would have been friends if l lived on the same block. My best bosses- all on the spectrum.

We are here for you. l was let go but thankful because l was stressed beyond belief. My great boss left who l believe was on the spectrum. We got along great and probably would have been friends if l lived on the same block. My best bosses- all on the spectrum.
Good to know all this. I’d like to have a boss who understands my autism or is on the spectrum him/herself.

I’m continuing to fight the denial. Starting with getting a copy of the hearing tape, listening to it, then re-reading my denial notice and formulating my appeal.

Good for you! Hopefully things work out for you, regardless of what happens. :)

Here's some pointers to consider, both on your appeal and in general:

It's pretty standard when assessing applications for social benefits that they'll want a physician (MD) or registered psychologist sign off on reports and assessments. Are you able to have a doctor review the counselor's documentation and countersign it?

Have you done any work of the sort the judge thinks you are capable of? Are you able to speak to those experiences, and how they ended up, and the supports or lack thereof? Basically, you would need to argue why you feel that you may not be able to obtain and hold remunerative work of the sort described.

You mentioned in your other post that you had worked with a job coach, but that they seemed to have a high caseload and so we're able to give you the attention and support you needed. Have you tried speaking to them about that, or maybe seeking a different coach? Admittedly, a major challenge for those on the spectrum is in accessing the right services. Some service providers don't have the training to cater to autistic individuals' needs, whereas others who do may have very long waitlists.

On the topic of accessing services, do you have a friend, family member, or someone else you trust and are comfortable with helping you navigate services and help be an advocate for you? I understand it can be frustrating at times to not get what you need, and it can be helpful if there's someone who can help you access services, and ensure that those working with you are doing their best for you.

On job searching - have you been doing networking as best you can? Talking to anyone in your network, starting with your (good) references from past work, volunteer, and academic experiences, but also pretty much anyone and everyone you encounter. You never know who might know someone who has a position available, and there are a lot more jobs in the hidden job market than are posted publicly. What's better, as you have noted yourself, is that getting a referral from someone who knows the employer will get you a lot further than resume spamming.

On the topic of resume spamming, if you aren't already, try to have a larger "master CV" so you can create customized resumes for different types of jobs, and when writing emails/cover letters, to do a bit of research on the organization so you can show that you have done some homework. Finally, try to write the resume and cover letter using your own format and style. When I used to be a job search coach, I quickly got bored when someone showed me yet another resume written on the MS Word template, and not just any template, but the first one that came up. I can't imagine how someone might feel if they post for a job, and they get 20-30 resumes with the same canned format. Always look to stand out, but in a good way.

Cold call. If there's a field of work you're interested in, call them up to speak to the managers (get the names if possible first, via website or social media), then followup with an short email thanking them for their time. Even if they don't have anything right now, showing that you're a go-getter with courtesy may help you be someone they reach out to when they do have something available.

Interviews - research the company as much as you can, but don't be afraid to disclose (but only if you're comfortable) that you may have difficulties with unanticipated questions and ask if they would be comfortable sharing the interview questions or at least the general topics ahead of time, and if not, to ask if they could at least refrain from random hypothetical questions like "if you were a fruit what would you be and why?" since those can be very frustrating for those on the spectrum, and they serve little or no real value in assessing whether the candidate would be a good fit. Also, there's lots of lists of commonly asked questions online, and try to do some mock interviews for different types of jobs (and employment resource centres can help with this).

Finally - if you decide to try self-employment, see if there are programs available through a government office or a local college or community centre on basic skills like advertising/marketing/media (no use building the world's best mouse trap if no one knows about it), bookkeeping, and financing - sometimes there may be grants available.

Finally one l have tried. Just walk in off the street and ask if they are looking to hire. The mom and pop places sometimes don't have time to list jobs and the one that asks gets the job. I tried this once, in a grocery store and landed a high volume cashier job.

Good for you! Hopefully things work out for you, regardless of what happens. :)

Here's some pointers to consider, both on your appeal and in general:

It's pretty standard when assessing applications for social benefits that they'll want a physician (MD) or registered psychologist sign off on reports and assessments. Are you able to have a doctor review the counselor's documentation and countersign it?

Have you done any work of the sort the judge thinks you are capable of? Are you able to speak to those experiences, and how they ended up, and the supports or lack thereof? Basically, you would need to argue why you feel that you may not be able to obtain and hold remunerative work of the sort described.

You mentioned in your other post that you had worked with a job coach, but that they seemed to have a high caseload and so we're able to give you the attention and support you needed. Have you tried speaking to them about that, or maybe seeking a different coach? Admittedly, a major challenge for those on the spectrum is in accessing the right services. Some service providers don't have the training to cater to autistic individuals' needs, whereas others who do may have very long waitlists.

On the topic of accessing services, do you have a friend, family member, or someone else you trust and are comfortable with helping you navigate services and help be an advocate for you? I understand it can be frustrating at times to not get what you need, and it can be helpful if there's someone who can help you access services, and ensure that those working with you are doing their best for you.

On job searching - have you been doing networking as best you can? Talking to anyone in your network, starting with your (good) references from past work, volunteer, and academic experiences, but also pretty much anyone and everyone you encounter. You never know who might know someone who has a position available, and there are a lot more jobs in the hidden job market than are posted publicly. What's better, as you have noted yourself, is that getting a referral from someone who knows the employer will get you a lot further than resume spamming.

On the topic of resume spamming, if you aren't already, try to have a larger "master CV" so you can create customized resumes for different types of jobs, and when writing emails/cover letters, to do a bit of research on the organization so you can show that you have done some homework. Finally, try to write the resume and cover letter using your own format and style. When I used to be a job search coach, I quickly got bored when someone showed me yet another resume written on the MS Word template, and not just any template, but the first one that came up. I can't imagine how someone might feel if they post for a job, and they get 20-30 resumes with the same canned format. Always look to stand out, but in a good way.

Cold call. If there's a field of work you're interested in, call them up to speak to the managers (get the names if possible first, via website or social media), then followup with an short email thanking them for their time. Even if they don't have anything right now, showing that you're a go-getter with courtesy may help you be someone they reach out to when they do have something available.

Interviews - research the company as much as you can, but don't be afraid to disclose (but only if you're comfortable) that you may have difficulties with unanticipated questions and ask if they would be comfortable sharing the interview questions or at least the general topics ahead of time, and if not, to ask if they could at least refrain from random hypothetical questions like "if you were a fruit what would you be and why?" since those can be very frustrating for those on the spectrum, and they serve little or no real value in assessing whether the candidate would be a good fit. Also, there's lots of lists of commonly asked questions online, and try to do some mock interviews for different types of jobs (and employment resource centres can help with this).

Finally - if you decide to try self-employment, see if there are programs available through a government office or a local college or community centre on basic skills like advertising/marketing/media (no use building the world's best mouse trap if no one knows about it), bookkeeping, and financing - sometimes there may be grants available.
I’ve done jobs (prep cook, kitchen helper) the judge says I’m capable of. I don’t have any other physicians who can assist me.

To access services, I must be connected with the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation in Washington State. Or I can use what’s called private pay, which can easily run into thousands of dollars. I’ve spoken with my job coach (and others) about the high caseload, but I don’t get far.

My family members give minimal support (encouragement), but nothing more.

In regards to networking, I’m not good with introducing myself to others. I have a LinkedIn profile, which I will gladly share to expand my network and possibly find opportunities.

No matter what I do, I always seem to run into a dead end. But perhaps expanding my network will help.

New Threads

Top Bottom