• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The poor communication at my current job is starting to massively irritate and trigger me.

SpecG

Over the past couple of days I've had...

• To chase a whole bunch of people for basic information that should've been provided in a ticket
  • Was given 12 minutes notice for an important meeting that needed network ports connected - made harder by essential training and documentation not existing
  • Been advised incorrectly on a number of issues
  • Had a user accuse me of not communicating some information I definitely did and is included in a ticketing system I used to email them directly
  • Had the 2nd in command come down complaining about lack of response to a ticket that was owned by someone else entirely and was unable to give me any details - not even the ticket number
  • The above tickets issue description didn't even relate to the actual issue
  • There's currently only me providing helpdesk support and trying to keep on top of tickets, which is a difficult task in itself
  • I've come from a senior IT support role and have been doing 1st line stuff because of the above resource issue for the past 2.5 months
  • I've had a few minor meltdowns and rants recently because I'm really not happy
  • The past two days I've been feeling anxious and very irritable / defensive because of all of the above
I thought working in a science environment would be beneficial because of the associated processes and logical thinking but users only seem to apply logic to their science stuff, when it comes to IT they seem to forget it and create tickets without essential information or don't communicate properly which makes my job difficult and now it's really starting to annoy me to a point where I'm starting to dread going to work and am being abrasive with users that affect my ability to do my job efficiently.

I spoke to my manager about my dissatisfaction at the huge step back I've taken in terms of the technical requirements of my role and he says he'll try and give me some more challenging work but I'm really starting to feel like I don't belong here and everything is now pissing me off.

Over the past couple of days I've had...

• To chase a whole bunch of people for basic information that should've been provided in a ticket
  • Was given 12 minutes notice for an important meeting that needed network ports connected - made harder by essential training and documentation not existing
  • Been advised incorrectly on a number of issues
  • Had a user accuse me of not communicating some information I definitely did and is included in a ticketing system I used to email them directly
  • Had the 2nd in command come down complaining about lack of response to a ticket that was owned by someone else entirely and was unable to give me any details - not even the ticket number
  • The above tickets issue description didn't even relate to the actual issue
  • There's currently only me providing helpdesk support and trying to keep on top of tickets, which is a difficult task in itself
  • I've come from a senior IT support role and have been doing 1st line stuff because of the above resource issue for the past 2.5 months
  • I've had a few minor meltdowns and rants recently because I'm really not happy
  • The past two days I've been feeling anxious and very irritable / defensive because of all of the above
I thought working in a science environment would be beneficial because of the associated processes and logical thinking but users only seem to apply logic to their science stuff, when it comes to IT they seem to forget it and create tickets without essential information or don't communicate properly which makes my job difficult and now it's really starting to annoy me to a point where I'm starting to dread going to work and am being abrasive with users that affect my ability to do my job efficiently.

I spoke to my manager about my dissatisfaction at the huge step back I've taken in terms of the technical requirements of my role and he says he'll try and give me some more challenging work but I'm really starting to feel like I don't belong here and everything is now pissing me off.
One time a coworker had an idea, so he wrote a memo and passed it around for comments. Nobody commented on the actual idea, but there were lots of negative comments about how the memo was improperly circulated.

Many people tend to be lazy, inattentive, and put more effort into avoiding work than the actual work would entail. Log all of these problems as well as who is really responsible and why before they assume it is all your fault.

Last edited:

It does sound really, really irritating. You've spoken to your manager which I guess is the first step. I don't know what advice to give you but I do hope things improve for you.

It does sound really, really irritating. You've spoken to your manager which I guess is the first step. I don't know what advice to give you but I do hope things improve for you.

My missus thinks I need a job that minimises contact with people.

I'm inclined to agree.

In the past I've considered field engineer roles - perhaps I should pursue this avenue.

One time a coworker had an idea, so he wrote a memo and passed it around for comments. Nobody commented on the actual idea, but there were lots of negative comments about how the memo was improperly circulated.

Many people tend to be lazy, inattentive, and put more effort into avoiding work than the actual work would entail. Log all of these problems as well as who is really responsible and why before they assume it is all your fault.

I broke down the ticket with screenshots of each section and bullet points explaining the many issues with it in an email and at the end recommended that in future involving third parties in such a situation is inefficient and not including essential information when creating a ticket not only makes my job harder but also wastes my time and negatively impacts user perception of the helpdesk.

I emailed this to a supervisor for the affected client who became involved after they started complaining - who then provided me with another piece of essential information I couldn't have done my job without, 2 days after I'd already had to chase numerous people for information that should've already been in the ticket.

This email already went to the supervisor, who then wanted to sit down and go through the email which confused and frustrated me because I couldn't have been any clearer and I was fed up of chasing people / people not listening to me / making my life difficult so I was abrasive toward her.

Users aren't doing their bit and yet they have the cheek to complain and in one instance, call me liar in front of a bunch of others attending a meeting.

That last event triggered me massively, fortunately not to a point where I told them straight up what I thought of them - instead I clenched my jaw, stewed on it and composed the email instead, which I'll also been sending to my superiors.

The whole time I was writing it I was a combination of angry, anxious,confused and frustrated, to a point where I was even trembling.

This is one of the latest of many issues I've observed that are leading me to believe this isn't going to be a healthy place to work and I'm rapidly losing motivation to stay there as based on many prior experiences I know what kind of effect it's going to have on me if I try to put up with it.

I think my missus is right.

I think I need a job that minimises contact with users, like my old more senior role but with a company that doesn't negatively affect my wellbeing.

It's a shame about my prior job as I got on well with the team and the role provided a decent challenge, it was just a highly disorganized and poorly managed environment with some abusive managers making peoples lives very difficult which affected me very badly to a point where I had numerous intense meltdowns and even got in my managers face because he constantly set me up to fail, had the cheek to badmouth me to my line manager and was the type of person who is likely to believe I was using my condition as a "card" to be played as an excuse.

According to a colleague he once wrote a blog on how dyslexia is the result of laziness.

He was a horrible person who I had to have contact with for 4 years.

How he's never been physically assaulted I have no idea because he loves to push peoples buttons.

Last edited:

I just don't get it.

If their scientific records were treated in the same manner as they deal with IT support they'd never get anything done as they'd be violating their processes and essential data would be missing meaning their experiments would be classed as failures.

My missus thinks I need a job that minimises contact with people.

I'm inclined to agree.

In the past I've considered field engineer roles - perhaps I should pursue this avenue.
She's got a great point you could probably be a lot more relaxed, less stressed. It sounds like you have a position in mind, too. I've often thought of jobs like that for myself but not been able to come up with much that suits me and my skills.

New Threads

Top Bottom