• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The other way around

JB2018

So I had an idea today, generated by that "night owl study" thread (feel like a lab rat sometimes with all the studies being done re: autism spectrum) -- but before the idea dies of loneliness ;), thought I'd put it here. What if we look at an autism-spectrum life from the other way around? A rough pseudo-code version of the idea follows:

IF Aspies have built and will build most of the systems that run the world from here on out,
THEN transition time is necessary for NT's to adjust.
IF the transition takes too long (herding cats...),
THEN time will run out.
END EVERYTHING.

Random questions:
- will translators be necessary (or at least people who are really really good with metaphors and similes) during the morphing?;
- will it be a good idea to buy stock in osteoarthritis medications (or thumb braces)?;
- will we need to develop patience/empathy curricula in engineering schools?
- will there still be music/dance/sports?
- will NTs fade to minority status? (maybe not a good thing);
- are any scientists already working on these topics?

Any ideas/feedback?

- will there still be music/dance/sports?

Yes, plenty of autistic people love and excel at these types of things.

That's all I've got for feedback right now.

will we need to develop patience/empathy curricula in engineering schools?

I think that is best started in childhood -- for everyone (and not just for the purposes of the thought experiment here, for any scenario in the world as we know or it or the world as it could be). I think to really be good at those (instead of just lucky to be surrounded by people similar-enough to yourself) takes a lot of learning and practice for most people, whether formal or informal.

Last edited:
feel like a lab rat sometimes with all the studies being done re: autism spectrum
That is absolutely not the case. It's just that the vast majority of studies shared on the site are about the autism spectrum... given that's what this site is about.
- will translators be necessary (or at least people who are really really good with metaphors and similes) during the morphing?;
You will need a translator for me. I have absolutely no clue what you're going on about here or with anything else you've said in this post.

We could accelerate the modified evolution process if we bring back dinosaurs first.

4060995192_7336e0c9be.jpg

That is absolutely not the case. It's just that the vast majority of studies shared on the site are about the autism spectrum... given that's what this site is about.

You will need a translator for me. I have absolutely no clue what you're going on about here or with anything else you've said in this post.

If you don't catch the train of thought just let it go by.

Random questions:
- will translators be necessary ...

Any ideas/feedback?

Loosely speaking, this already happens although they’re not called translators.

To bridge some of the gap between our reality and surviving in ‘the rat race’ I believe a support worker is used?

I would love a job like this :)
Your idea of a translator is amusing me.
I would try my best to keep my own bias on tyrannical supervisors out of my translation for a client in a workplace when they don’t understand what ‘little Hitler’ has just asked them to do.
:)
The other way around is also amusing.
A non-asd client struggling to understand what their Aspie boss has just asked them to do

Random questions:

- will we need to develop patience/empathy curricula in engineering schools?
?

... for us? Or non-asd?

I would try my best to keep my own bias on tyrannical supervisors out of my translation for a client in a workplace when they don’t understand what ‘little Hitler’ has just asked them to do.

You have to know your onions so to speak :)

Sorry, I was just referring to studies being done all over the place (full disclosure: BS Economics -- tons of work is being done in behavioral science, and some of it is just awful -- my opinion). Autism is only one area -- was just using my writing voice there as regards research.

Loosely speaking, this already happens although they’re not called translators.

To bridge some of the gap between our reality and surviving in ‘the rat race’ I believe a support worker is used?

I would love a job like this :)
The other way around is also amusing.
A non-asd client struggling to understand what their Aspie boss has just asked them to do

[translators]... for us? Or non-asd?

Thanks for your post, Gracey :) -- I was thinking mostly about simultaneous translation. With lots of screen shots... And glossaries specific to various non-asd speakers might help...

Anyhow, was just using my writing voice and wanted to hear what others might have to say.

New Threads

Top Bottom