• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Orville, new series on Amazon Prime

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Currently watching it on my Xbox, second episode of season 1's on now, pretty cool so far, it's a bit of a Star Trek rip off but in a good way, created by Seth McFarlane, the guy who also created Family Guy.

Anyone else seen it?

Currently watching it on my Xbox, second episode of season 1's on now, pretty cool so far, it's a bit of a Star Trek rip off but in a good way, created by Seth McFarlane, the guy who also created Family Guy.

Anyone else seen it?
I watch it every time it comes on. It's like Star Trek because McFarland is a trekkie, and the show is sort of a tribute to the classic Trek. The critics over here don't like it because they can't put it into a box, it seems to cover a lot of genres. The ratings seem to be pretty good, though.

Last edited:
I've seen 'em all and I love the show. Very much an homage to TNG but with some light humour and less stuffy characters. The second season has been even better than the first so far, with some excellent character development. Bortus in particular is a favourite :)

I also love the show. Particularly that McFarland has chosen to keep the writing to consistently reflect drama carefully interspersed with comedy. It's not what I'd call an overt parody of Star Trek, but rather a unique "hybrid" of space opera and comedy.

I find myself looking forward to each episode not for laughs, but simply for my "sci-fi fix". :cool:

Though all that aside, I'd love to learn the real reason for Halston Sage's departure from the show. I liked her character. Sorry to see her leave. I haven't checked recently, but when I did I was quite surprised not to find any hard evidence or reason for her leaving. Yet it would also seem that Fox may have left the door open to her returning.

In any event, characters suddenly leaving a tv series are not often left a mystery for very long, regardless of what the reasons may entail. Hopefully Alara's replacement character "Talla"will get off to a good start.

I understood she wasn't very happy with the lukewarm audience response to her character and neither was the studio so....

It is a great show. The recent episode involving Bortus and their version of the holodeck had us in stitches (no spoilers ;) ) which started us calling him "Naughty Bortus"

That's now degenerated into "Nortus Bortus", so now tomorrow evening we'll be watching the latest episode of "The Nortus Bortus Show" o_O

Last edited:
It is a great show. The recent episode involving Bortus and their version of the holodeck had us in stitches (no spoliers ;) ) which started us calling him "Naughty Bortus"

But that's the beauty of it all. Ok, maybe I should rephrase that. :confused:

More indicative of drama than comedy. To be forthright with the nekkid truth about aliens.

I also like the mucous character...though it's amazing the production hasn't been sued for that yet. :p

Speaking of which, has anyone considered the structural design of the aft portion of the Orville? Looks a tad familiar for some reason. Perhaps just different enough to keep the Rolling Stones from suing them too.

Hidden message? Maybe it's more important to get yer ya-ya's out than traverse the cosmos. o_O

Brilliant, Seth. :cool:

Last edited:
I watched some of it and it was pretty fun. For some reason I find I don't have enough patience to keep up with TV shows now, though.

I've seen 'em all and I love the show. Very much an homage to TNG but with some light humour and less stuffy characters. The second season has been even better than the first so far, with some excellent character development. Bortus in particular is a favourite :)

Yeah Bortus to me is a good character, did you see the episode where
they were trying to get the Captain to allow a baby's sex change from a girl to a boy?
, the little baby was gorgeous.

I understood she wasn't very happy with the lukewarm audience response to her character and neither was the studio so....

Hmmmm.

In other words she was let go on a premise not of her own making in the least? That would explain the "softball" approach in the episode that graciously explained her exit.

Where the attorneys may feel inclined to tread lightly. Yeah, that could well be.

Too bad, I liked her. But with all the special effects you'd think the writers had the chance to make Alara far more intimidating than her looks. Replacing her may not have been necessary if this is all they'll be doing with the new character.

Kind of sad for any actor to lose a good gig in such a way. :(

Last edited:
Yeah Bortus to me is a good character, did you see the episode where
they were trying to get the Captain to allow a baby's sex change from a girl to a boy?
, the little baby was gorgeous.

As I said earlier, I've seen 'em all mate. The relationship and gender dynamics of Bortus, his family & species are explored quite a bit and make for interesting viewing.

Amusing seeing a pattern of depicting extra terrestrial societies that drastically deviate from our own.

Though in very much paralleling humanity, it reflects that "double-edged sword". Where humans draw the line between deviations that are to be respected, versus those which are considered to be repulsive.

Making for quite a potential "ethical tightrope" for the writers to walk. Oh yeah. They're still pandering to human audiences. Never mind. ;)

Where all or most aliens are expected or demanded to do things "the human way"- or else. A social dynamic we all know only too well in this community. In this respect, whether "The Orville" gets an autistic character or not may be a moot point.

Oh well, I'll still be watching. Gotta have my sci-fi fix. :oops:

Last edited:
One of the things that made Trek great was GR pursuing his agenda of using drama to promote social change. TOS did it brilliantly (if a bit transparently in S03) and did very well in TNG & DS9. I personally feel that the other series and the movies lost sight of this a bit, and despite all the eejits who slate Disco for being "SJW" biased, it too is not quite on point in this aim.
The Orville is doing exactly that in spades, and unlike TNG & DS9, it's doing it with very relatable characters who display their flaws and their petty, selfish concerns on screen. They're not heroic archetypes, but they do their duty to achieve heroic goals.
In that sense I think it is a more representative view of our space faring (potential) future than most Trek.

I am a junkie for good SciFi, bad SciFi, cheesy SciFi, thought provoking SciFi, spectacular SciFi, bizarre SciFi (we're gonna watch Zardoz this weekend), dated SciFi, contemporary SciFi, ahead of it's time SciFi, left field SciFi... You get the picture, I like SciFi ;)
The Orville is one of the most enjoyable SciFi series on TV since Babylon 5 IMO and long may it continue :)

I watched it once. I think it was on City TV.

Dilemma! We watched Discovery last night but didn't have time to watch the new Orville episode too. We could watch it tonight (I'm impatient when I enjoy a show as much as that) but it's Saturday which makes it "Movie Night" and I've got Zardoz planned....

Jawas.png

Off topic, but, Holy Crap!

In s02ep03, Elementary, Dear Data,
Capt. Jean-Luc Picard clearly says:
"Merde..."

Ha! Never noticed this before!

Tragic to read that "The Orville" has gone to Hulu rather remain on Fox.

So that's that. If I see another new episode, it will have to be the DVD version out sometimes next year. :mad:

Last edited:
I'm just glad it's still being made! Too many shows like that get cancelled prematurely.

I'm just glad it's still being made! Too many shows like that get cancelled prematurely.

To me, moving a show to a proprietary network I don't already have is the same as cancellation.

I realize so many of our media markets pander to consumers who are more than willing to pay for a single series beyond what they already pay for so much other television. I'm just NOT one of them.

To me, moving a show to a proprietary network I don't already have is the same as cancellation.

I realize so many of our media markets pander to consumers who are more than willing to pay for a single series beyond what they already pay for so much other television. I'm just NOT one of them.

You can do what we (and many other people) do and surf the free trials. Get a months trial and marathon the shows you like then leave it a few months and you can do it all over again ;) No way could I or would I shell out for all the many subscription services that are popping up.

New Threads

Top Bottom