• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The new computer experience

Misery

Amalga Heart
V.I.P Member
Well, it's been quite a day. I got the bloody thing finally... it took ages for it to arrive for pickup, but we went and got it today.

I talked a bit about it here: Finally getting a new PC which has the specs and such for anyone interested.

I was thinking though about how different all this is now.

Like, way back when, you'd buy a machine, get it into the house, get it onto the desk... where it would often lie flat with the monitor actually sitting on top of it... and once plugged in, ya turned it on, it made a variety of jet-engine noises, and BAM, you were just in. That's it, that's the initial setup. Either DOS or Windows (depending on the exact era) would be loaded pretty much immediately. From there you could do any installations.... very, very, very, very, very slowly. With disks. Lots of disks. So many disks. The quality of the resulting programs... well, the experience of using them... would vary wildly, even among the same sorts. Like, I remember playing a lot of CGA games back then, and they didnt get along with the general speed of the machine very well. On a more powerful PC (well, powerful back then) a game might run at a ridiculous rate, becoming this unplayable blur. So you'd have to manually set the speed of the game and fiddle with it until it went the way it should. And that's just the games... there was cryptic weirdness with everything else. But at the same time, it was all super fast to do.

And that was it, really. Simple, but at the same time not at all user friendly... you still needed to know enough about how to use the thing, particularly for the old DOS machines, which were a cryptic mess to many people at the time.

Now though, boy is it different. In the process of setting this thing up today, there was a lot to do. First, gotta get it physically set up. It's this giant freaking brick, even bigger than my previous machine. I definitely needed help getting it in here at all (I cant really lift things), and then once that's done, and once the "stuffing" is pulled out of it, it was time to attach like a bazillion wires. I keep the back of the machine facing me, like I did with the previous one, as I'm frequently switching stuff out. But already it's a wiry mess, particularly with the VR headset in there (has multiple wires of its own) and the keyboard (very screwy connector that splits into multiple wires, no I dont know why).

From there, turn it on. Wait awhile. It needs to load. Initializing stuff. Then, the Windows setup and such. A million questions, a million little bits, including having to do the accursed Google account sign in (I dont even want to talk about that, I had to do it 5 times today and it was the worst part), getting the Microsoft account going, preferences, blah blah blah. And some other stuff I didnt expect. Decided to give the Xbox game pass a try, because why the heck not. And then... er... something else, I forget what.

Once that's done, time to get the antivirus setup. Not too hard, but there's account stuff to deal with that (I use Norton). Okay, that takes a bit of time, now Chrome (I'll eventually switch to Firefox). Okay, Chrome is in, let's start Youtu- oh. Oh. Right. Ads. That's a no-no here. We dont allow ads here. Time for extensions! As expected, just one adblocker isnt enough. The previous machine had multiple layers of the things, and that's already the case here. Various adblockers, and also Sponsorblock (since I want *every* type of ad on Youtube GONE, period). There's still more to do there, but I'll do that tomorrow.

Next: Steam. Okay, gotta download that... get it going... oh, did I mention a lot of things want authentication when logging into accounts? Like, good grief. Had to keep bringing out the ol' phone or going to email (or both). Steam wants email, so there's a code to put in to get that working. From there, it's install time. What I really wanted to do first here was get the VR (index) set up, FINALLY. I havent been able to use it in weeks, and it has a variety of major uses for me, including sensory aspects. So, need to get that set up. Gotta download SteamVR to get it functional, get the tangled mess of the headset and the trackers going, get the rear tracker to DO ITS FREAKING JOB (I dont know why I have to fight that one so often). And then OH BOY time to set up the boundaries AGAIN. This involves doing frankly silly things like putting the headset on the floor while waving the controllers around, and other stuff. But then it's done, finally.

Into VR, let's try it out... ahhh, FINALLY, I have functionality. On the previous machine, well... when it was nearing collapse it just kept getting more and more corrupted. It's hard to explain what that means, really. It's one thing to be, like, playing a game or something, and you see a glitch happen on the screen. It's a visual effect on a flat surface in front of you. But that's not what a glitch looks like in VR (and to be clear, by "glitch" I mean not just bugs, but also things like framerate drops and processing problems). I mean really, you get to BE the glitch in there, which is... not a good experience. Never expose a new user to that, it doesnt end well. Fortunately I'm immune to all VR side effects at this point, so it didnt do anything other than irritate me. But on the new machine here... finally, none of that nonsense, we're back up to the proper 90 FPS at all times. Even in things that the previous machine wasnt *quite* up to even at its best. Given the graphics card on this thing, I expected no less.

So, from there, it was time to REALLY test it. How much could this thing handle? I know just how to do that, I've got exactly the program for it.

I must show this:

FinishedDiamonds.jpg

This is a Mandelbulb fractal. I work with these often. These are INCREDIBLY draining on the PC and will bring even a super high-end machine to its knees. And I wasnt going to produce just any image, no sir. We were going all the way with this one. Raytracing and everything.

So, get the fractal itself loaded (I'd already put it together on the previous machine before it went bonkers, but that was just the basic generation, not any full renders). Get it set to some high quality options. Try to render. Okay... it wants 20 hours to do this. For ONE image. No, that cant be right. Look around a bit more in the program... ah. I see. It's not using the GPU at all. Argue with it for like 20 minutes (it's more complicated than it sounds) and I've got it using the GPU finally. Let's render the image.

20 hours... down to 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Okay... wow. The previous machine at it's best couldnt do that. It wouldnt have been even JUST 20 hours... at the level of stuff I wanted here, it would have been multiple days. But now... 2 minutes.

But that's not good enough. Just some raytracing and such is only the start. Let's REALLY push it. Turn on all sorts of options, set up additional light sources, and do some complicated weirdness.

The final image is the one above, and it would have taken an unviable amount of time on the previous machine... provided it could do it at all. This though? 20 minutes.

The crazy thing about fractals is that it can still be pushed way further than that. It's worth noting that rendering a fractal isnt like rendering something in a game. Game rendering happens so fast that you get, well, a bazillion frames a second. But a fractal? No. It's all ultra-complex math that I barely understand, and the limits of what the programs in question can do are... way further than I even know how to use.

And so, that's where I am at now, having just completed that thing, and feeling like most of the "main" setup and testing is done. While getting a cool bit of art out of it.

An old PC would take like, an hour to get to a "totally ready" state. But this took like all freaking day. And there's still so much more stuff to do yet, with the main bits out of the way. I'll likely spend an inordinate amount of time tomorrow arguing with the stupid Switch controller, getting that set up is a giant pain. As it is now though, it's about time for bed.

I'm just glad it's done though. I dont know how it is for everyone else, but if I get disconnected from my main special interests for too long my mood and mental state take a nose-dive. That's part of why my recent posts have been rather... unpleasant. Well, the gender thing too, but that's another topic really. One way or another, with this back, mood improved a whole lot.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway. Yeah, since I was doing that all bloody day, it was on my mind here, so... a bit of a ramble, for the heck of it. Because I do that. Also I thought it might be cool to show that image there... it takes a lot of work to make those things.

Great news then. I feel the same way. My personal brain mainframe shuts down when my special interests get cut off for whatever reason. So l like to have a few going on at anytime to keep me rolling along. Congrats on your new toy. Can't wait to see your new creations. But only when you wish to share.

At last. I was starting to feel like I was waiting for a package. Hope you have fun exploring the new machine, Misery.

Looking forward to seeing all the cool art you come up with and hearing about how happy the new system makes you.

Nice 3D fractal! I'm pretty good with imagination, and so the first thing I imagined that was when I looked at it, was Mars. I know it's not supposed to be that obviously, but when I read "The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury long ago (btw I hate reading anything more than a few pages of anything; it was required) I visualized something not too dissimilar to that art. I imagined some surreal, purplish blue sky combo, with some mix of rough and smooth cratered and rolling land (brown dirt and sand) and weird geometric objects all around. Seeing that fractal, I visualize the spaceship above hovering over that landscape.

I came here to take a break from PC shopping and this is what I find! Lolol.

I feel your pain. Tech is supposed to make life easier but just becomes it's own giant PITA. I know what the i9-12900K is, and 3090, and DDR5...but I'd rather not know and concentrate on other things.

I came here to take a break from PC shopping and this is what I find! Lolol.

I feel your pain. Tech is supposed to make life easier but just becomes it's own giant PITA. I know what the i9-12900K is, and 3090, and DDR5...but I'd rather not know and concentrate on other things.

For much of anyone contemplating PC gaming, it's much more complicated to understand what hardware you actually need apart from frame rates and thermodynamic issues as opposed to most everyone else relying on mainstream productivity-oriented computers requiring far less hardware resources.

It still saddens me to look back thirty years ago, when most games played relatively the same on the average PC. When anyone could enjoy a DOS or Windows game without having to go broke in the process. A time before developers began focusing on designing their product based primarily on the most powerful PC rather than the average one.

Worse still, in as much as I enjoyed web design, working for a major software entertainment publisher soured me on the whole gaming industry around the turn of the century. I've thought about getting back into gaming, but I keep pretty busy just transitioning from Windows to Linux without having to build an entirely new computer. Just too many of those "PITA" to consider. Where chasing those desired frames per second will always be an uphill battle with developers so intent on always "pushing the edge of the envelope".

Yet I still have to laugh at those stats that Steam keeps on their members. Whose average video card remains an Nvidia GTX 1050. Which says a lot in terms of the gap between software and hardware gaming developers versus their customers. Computer gaming has become something for the gentry rather than the peasants.

Last edited:
Where chasing those desired frames per second will always be an uphill battle with developers so intent on always "pushing the edge of the envelope".

To be fair though, this is going to be very heavily dependent on what specifically is being played.

A lot of the big AAA games go for hyper graphics not because they need to (they dont, and in fact going too far is detrimental, though they keep doing it) but instead JUST because it makes their trailers shinier. That... that's it. That's the reason. Freaking Halo would still be Halo even if they took out the HYPER MEGA DOOM GRAPHICS. This is an enormous part of why those big high-specs games are often so ridiculously glitchy: Because they put everything into visuals at the expense of literally every other aspect.

By far the vast majority of the games I own will run on a bloody potato. And in many cases, I will tell you that certain potato-compatible games are among the best ever (dont even get me started on Isaac). Plenty of them are outright gorgeous, too (as I've discovered that STYLE beats SPECS when it comes to visuals, any day... to be totally honest, a lot of the AAA games out there look butt-ugly to me by comparison).

The only exception I can even think of is No Man's Sky... I genuinely cant think of anything else in my entire library (and I have a LOT of games in there) that needs all that much power to be played. Not counting the VR stuff, I mean... that's a whole other bag of cats.

To be fair though, this is going to be very heavily dependent on what specifically is being played.
Good point. I've watched a number of critiques of various games and it's always interesting to see how potentially different one game produces higher frame rates from another, apart from the respective video card used at the time.

By far the vast majority of the games I own will run on a bloody potato. And in many cases, I will tell you that certain potato-compatible games are among the best ever (dont even get me started on Isaac). Plenty of them are outright gorgeous, too (as I've discovered that STYLE beats SPECS when it comes to visuals, any day... to be totally honest, a lot of the AAA games out there look butt-ugly to me by comparison).
I agree with you wholeheartedly about the games. More graphics and less game has been the trend for many years. I’ve seen it happen to so many great games.

One of my all time favourite games is Total War Medieval. The original version, not the revamp. I loved the whole Total War series. When it came out I tried the newer version of Shogun Total War and it was a disaster. I could only play it through Steam and Steam wouldn’t let me play unless I downloaded 60 gig of files.

At the time I was living in the bush and my internet connection was through a dodgy and expensive satellite service, I had a download limit of 1 gig a month. I complained to SEGA and to their credit they dealt with me very professionally and honourably, they sent me a set of custom disks. I still had to play through Steam but it only needed a 10 mb download.

So I finally got to play my new game and it was crap. There were only 2 different battle maps instead of dozens, and they were all so small that there was no longer any possibility of using any strategy. I likened the new game to two babies sitting face to face on the floor and hitting each other with wiffle bats.

The Age of Empires series did exactly the same thing. The original game was one of my favourites and I used to play against friends all the time. The third game in the series once again only had tiny maps and no possibility of utilising any strategy. Babies with wiffle bats again.

A couple of other favourites can both be found on abandonware sites these days.

Freelancer. A very pretty game, almost a precursor of No Man’s Sky. In fact I was confused a bit by NMS at first because I expected it to be like Freelancer. Freelancer had a huge fanbase and a huge modding community but for some reason Microsoft dropped it just a few months after releasing it. The fans carried on playing a modded version on custom servers for another 15 years.

Black And White. The original. One of the greatest games ever created. The entire game is only about 600 mb instead of many gigs and although the graphics are low resolution the implementation and the artwork are superb.

For much of anyone contemplating PC gaming, it's much more complicated to understand what hardware you actually need
I don't game, I edit videos. But understanding the hardware requirements is probably a similar conundrum. Different codecs task the system in different ways, meaning some 8K footage is easier to render than some 4K footage. Then simple seeming graphics can gobble huge amounts of CPU and RAM when there's no apparent reason for it. I can control what I film, but not what others bring to me, and so I'm afraid I'll have to over-buy for the one time I need 16 cores and 30 teraflops. THEN how long will a system be viable? Four years? Six years? Then I'mma have to study hardware all over again. Uhg, I'd rather not.

Speaking of peasants being outed; YouTube is a playground for rich kids. The amount of free time, support, and equipment one needs to be competitive is outlandish. Young kids today want to be YouTube stars when they grow up, but the corporate world has essentially taken over the platform and it's no longer a free-for-all where anyone can make it.

Still, you gotta be a little bit happy, maybe a giant rainbow is now in the computer tech room with @Misery complaining but still going back into full creation mode.

I would almost rather have a top of the line computer with all the bells and whistles then a new car. Maybe that's why l like my gently used car.

I'm afraid I'll have to over-buy for the one time I need 16 cores and 30 teraflops. THEN how long will a system be viable? Four years? Six years? Then I'mma have to study hardware all over again. Uhg, I'd rather not.
I hear ya. I'm a step beyond "I'd rather not". I have my feet firmly into the ground, refusing various technologies that continue to reinvent a wheel that doesn't need reinventing at all.

I have a perfectly good computer that doesn't need to be replaced just for Microsoft's edification. I also have a 1080p television with an outstanding picture and audio. And a large collection of DVDs that I have no intention of replacing just to accommodate Blu-Ray and now 4K technology. And I love my 2018 Mazda 3 GT. Don't need a new car of any kind!

Enough is enough, especially at a time when food, fuel, clothing and other more important things come at a much greater cost. The whole "2.0" era is just BS to me.

Still, you gotta be a little bit happy, maybe a giant rainbow is now in the computer tech room with @Misery complaining but still going back into full creation mode.

I would almost rather have a top of the line computer with all the bells and whistles then a new car. Maybe that's why l like my gently used car.

Yeah, my mood has improved quite a bit. I'm still struggling with the gender stuff, and my poor father is still having tons of problems (but getting at least a little better) but at the very least, being able to engage with my primary interests again keeps me much more stabilized.

Speaking of peasants being outed; YouTube is a playground for rich kids. The amount of free time, support, and equipment one needs to be competitive is outlandish.

This is why I always say, search for and support smaller creators. I can think of some absolutely stellar stuff on Youtube... certain series on there that are some of my absolute favorite things. But since they arent raking in 5 zillion views a second, they're harder to find and the creators dont make all that much from it. At least, not through Youtube itself. Some creators have gotten wise to this and are finding other ways to get something out of what they do (usually Patreon, but there's been some other funky ideas beyond just that).

I hear ya. I'm a step beyond "I'd rather not". I have my feet firmly into the ground, refusing various technologies that continue to reinvent a wheel that doesn't need reinventing at all.

I have a perfectly good computer that doesn't need to be replaced just for Microsoft's edification. I also have a 1080p television with an outstanding picture and audio. And a large collection of DVDs that I have no intention of replacing just to accommodate Blu-Ray and now 4K technology. And I love my 2018 Mazda 3 GT. Don't need a new car of any kind!

Enough is enough, especially at a time when food, fuel, clothing and other more important things come at a much greater cost. The whole "2.0" era is just BS to me.

Generally yeah, I agree with this.

My PC is the one thing I keep reasonably upgraded (though I wont actually DO the upgrade until the previous one starts coming apart), but that's because I have a direct use for the things it can do.

Other stuff though... ugh.

Some of it just seems pointless to me. Like, what's with this whole 4K thing with screens? When I see one, it's... just a screen. It looks the same as every other one. I mean yeah, I can technically see the pixels on my simpler 1080p screen here, but they're still *incredibly* tiny, I can only actually make them out if I'm sitting real close and have my glasses on, and there's really only so far resolution can go before it stops even being noticeable even to those with great vision.

Yeah, my mood has improved quite a bit. I'm still struggling with the gender stuff, and my poor father is still having tons of problems (but getting at least a little better) but at the very least, being able to engage with my primary interests again keeps me much more stabilized.

This is why I always say, search for and support smaller creators. I can think of some absolutely stellar stuff on Youtube... certain series on there that are some of my absolute favorite things. But since they arent raking in 5 zillion views a second, they're harder to find and the creators dont make all that much from it. At least, not through Youtube itself. Some creators have gotten wise to this and are finding other ways to get something out of what they do (usually Patreon, but there's been some other funky ideas beyond just that).

Generally yeah, I agree with this.

My PC is the one thing I keep reasonably upgraded (though I wont actually DO the upgrade until the previous one starts coming apart), but that's because I have a direct use for the things it can do.

Other stuff though... ugh.

Some of it just seems pointless to me. Like, what's with this whole 4K thing with screens? When I see one, it's... just a screen. It looks the same as every other one. I mean yeah, I can technically see the pixels on my simpler 1080p screen here, but they're still *incredibly* tiny, I can only actually make them out if I'm sitting real close and have my glasses on, and there's really only so far resolution can go before it stops even being noticeable even to those with great vision.
Redundancy, in the end we are just all redunancy in the wind, you may see a little pixel clearer, but in the end, it's redundancy.

I just got my first new prescription glasses in a very long time. Between my 1080p 27 inch monitor and my 1080p widescreen tv, I feel like I just got one hell of an upgrade. No joke... :D

4K ? 8k ? Why? :rolleyes:

I also find my mood is much better when I'm able to focus on my interests fully :) I'm glad that your new PC is helping you in this respect @Misery :)

I've had a similarly productive day despite my horrendous sleep pattern. I've been messing around with guitars. I bought my first and only brand new guitar 20 years or so ago and it was the biggest disappointment. The neck was a weird length and it wasn't possible to set the intonation. In case you aren't aware, this means the guitar won't play in tune in all areas of the neck.

My best friend bought me a new guitar neck as a gift and I installed it today. It's been mildly infuriating and I've discovered the bridge is a few millimeters out of line but after 2 decades the darned thing is now playable!

There's a few micro adjustments needed here and there but I'd imagine the feeling I've had today getting this sorted is probably similar to the one you've had with your PC.

I have to say, it has cheered me up making some progress with something today. I hope it lasts :)

Enough is enough, especially at a time when food, fuel, clothing and other more important things come at a much greater cost.
I'm indignant at how much waste is required to participate in society. I'm being forced to upgrade due to Windows 11 incompatibility...but does the world really need a new architecture that can better personalize ads?

I would almost rather have a top of the line computer with all the bells and whistles then a new car.
Personally, I'm proud of the things I have that cost more than my car. Priorities.

I'm indignant at how much waste is required to participate in society. I'm being forced to upgrade due to Windows 11 incompatibility...but does the world really need a new architecture that can better personalize ads?

Personally, I'm proud of the things I have that cost more than my car. Priorities.
My priority isn't to spend tons of money. So that means my next house will be closer to the beach. :) Priorities.

I'm being forced to upgrade due to Windows 11

Yeah, I ended up with 11 on my machine too. Not out of choice. It was just already there.

When I chose the machine the idea was that 11 would be an OPTIONAL update you could do after getting it, or at least that's what they said.

But noooooooooooooo. It was just on here outright.

Gotta say, didnt take long for me to start seeking out every conceivable anti-ad thing I could find. I didnt let anything through on the previous machine, and I aint changing that just because of 11.

New Threads

Top Bottom