• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The most extraordinary things you have experienced in nature

Turbocks

I am a 19 year old boy with aspergers who lives in the countryside of southern Sweden and we have such a rich fauna of wildlife here with everything from deer's or great horned owls to huge animals such as the moose which is Sweden's largest animal .

The most extraordinary thing that happened to me was that one time I walked through the forest and into some wetlands which caused my feet to get wet so I had to sit on a rock with my shoes off but with my socks on.

What happened next was absolutely insane because as I sat there I saw a baby deer move towards me and then it stopped and looked at me mere metres away from me.

I was so surprised by this sight that I shouted out loud which caused the baby deer to run away because I scared it and afterwards I heard a barking noise which is a noise adult deer's use to warn other deer's including babies of incoming danger which meant the mother was nearby and that she heard me.

What are the most extraordinary things you have experienced in nature while being in a forest?

Last edited:
I have had a wonderful experience with deer also.
In the forest by a lake not far from where I live there are many deer.
I sit by the woods in my car at dusk and they just appear from seemingly nowhere, like ghosts.

I like to get out and walk amongst them, they don't seem to be afraid.
It's like being part of the herd, most are does.
Once while amongest the herd, a large buck came running across the road to the group of does
I was with and I thought here comes trouble.
I just stood still and he walked up to me, looked me up and down while sniffing a bit and pranced
on his way.
Guess he thought I was just another of his does!
He could have gotten angry and reared. With those antlers I could have been hit.
It is unusual to have a wild buck deer run up to you and check you out!

A similiar experience was with an alligator.
A young, about 4-5 ft long one lived in the pond across the road from where we lived.
I was house sitting a small house by the pond for a friend while she was away for several months that
sat by the pond.
Everytime I crossed the road and worked around or in her house, that gator would come out of the pond
and try to follow me around or if I was inside, there was one wall that was glass and he would come over
to the glass to watch me inside the house.
If I went near the pond he would see me and bring things in his mouth and lay it down at my feet
and look up at me. Like fish or flowers mostly.

Some of the other people that lived near the pond saw this happening and accused me of
feeding him or he wouldn't be so tame around me.
I wasn't feeding him!
The joke started that he was in love with me.
No mater, I didn't trust him. You just can't.
I carried a long iron gaff rod so if he ever charged I would hit him on the nose.
They say that is painful and will stop an attack, give you time to get away.
Nothing ever happened though and soon the wildlife people came and took him away to
a less inhabited area.
Guess I have animal magnetism!

Bringing a flower...
P6100005.jpg

Last winterish spring, heavy silent snow with junipers and pines, wasn't feeling too great, but eventually turned a corner and boom! 15+ mule deer. I sat for awhile watching also pretending to throw food to see what they'd do (They didn't buy it.) was forced to walk with them because there was no other way past, it was really cute being with the herd. Some people came by, I was irritable about that even though I'm a person too. I just didn't want to share!! I normally feel pretty uneasy about the harsh climate so see creatures out there chillin', munching on grass and being peaceful made me feel better.

I live where there is lots of forest. I was in pretty deep woods yesterday. After that I watched the sun set over the sea from a cliff. So stuff like that, but no special encounters with animals. I have seen deer and elk here. I have seen sea lions. And eagles. One time there were some owls in the trees and we were watching each other. The owls were rotating their heads putting on a show. I have seen garter snakes in the woods. Maybe the coolest thing was I was up on an old abandoned railroad trestle and a huge bald eagle glided right past me.

WaWcp0n.png

Last edited:
I've had many wildlife experiences. One time I was squatting down, quietly weeding my vegetable garden, when I heard the loud flapping of bird wings. I assumed it was Canada geese flying close to the ground so I stood up to look. As soon as I stood, I saw that it was two red tail hawks carrying/fighting over a huge field rat. I startled them and they dropped the dead rat right at my feet and flew off. It was amazing.

When I lived in Utah, I was cross country skiing alone high in the Uinta Mountains one day. I was skiing out of the woods into an open area, and skied right up on a moose that looked about 10 feet tall. The moose and I both froze and stared at each other, then it turned and ambled away from me. I hightailed it to the car because moose can be dangerous.

Another interesting experience involved our horses. This is the time of year when snapping turtles migrate. Those turtles can be over a foot in diameter and are very dangerous. If they clamp down on you (or your pet), you have to cut off their head to release their jaws. One day, I heard my dog raising hell in the backyard, saw that he was barking at a huge snapping turtle, so I got a shovel and scooped up the turtle and carefully put it over the fence so it would continue on its migration and not bite my dog. The horses were watching my every move. As soon as I set the turtle down on the ground on their side of the fence, they came stampeding up and began rearing up and smashing the turtle with their hooves. The turtle was actually lunging up, jumping up, and snapping at them. The horses killed the turtle right there in front of me and I couldn't shoo them away or get them to leave the turtle alone.

I love Nature and feel every time I go out into , it is extraordinary. I just love it. I saw a WHITE DEER once! That was so cool.

But honestly, it is just a feeling that comes over me when I see a tree or a fox or the moon in a certain phase or even the scent of a tea olive plant, the various greens melding together........

Nature IS extraordinary and I think it's amazing that we can enjoy it now safely when long ago, we were part of eat or be eaten.

I think part of our wonder is that we actually overcame so many parts of it, but also so many parts of it are still so dangerous.

She is our enigmatic Friend. I love her!!

I am a 19 year old boy with aspergers who lives in the countryside of southern Sweden and we have such a rich fauna of wildlife here with everything from deer's or great horned owls to huge animals such as the moose which is Sweden's largest animal .

The most extraordinary thing that happened to me was that one time I walked through the forest and into some wetlands which caused my feet to get wet so I had to sit on a rock with my shoes off but with my socks on.

What happened next was absolutely insane because as I sat there I saw a baby deer move towards me and then it stopped and looked at me mere metres away from me.

I was so surprised by this sight that I shouted out loud which caused the baby deer to run away because I scared it and afterwards I heard a barking noise which is a noise adult deer's use to warn other deer's including babies of incoming danger which meant the mother was nearby and that she heard me.

What are the most extraordinary things you have experienced in nature while being in a forest?

Being from Idaho (western USA) I have had a lot of chances to observe wildlife, but nothing like that. That would be very interesting. However, everyone should be wary of baby wild animals because someplace close there is a mama wild animal. She does not know what you are or what your intentions are. She just see's a threat to her baby and will ferociously protect her baby. A angry deer could kill you.

Being from Idaho (western USA) I have had a lot of chances to observe wildlife, but nothing like that. That would be very interesting. However, everyone should be wary of baby wild animals because someplace close there is a mama wild animal. She does not know what you are or what your intentions are. She just see's a threat to her baby and will ferociously protect her baby. A angry deer could kill you.

Bears are even worse. If you ever come up upon a cub. Run like hell in the opposite direction(the direction you came from) and if you're carrying a gun?(I always do when I'm hiking in the forest.) fire off a couple of rounds in the air to scare off anything near by. Remember, A mother bear fears no danger when it come to protecting her cubs.

Had a gecko family that liked me in Hawaii. They and l lived peacefully in a single room. Geckos are so sweet. Had a huge flock of birds land on both of my outstretched arms. It was bizarre but kinda of cool. Fed the pigeons in LA. They could recognize me when l came to their corner.

Last edited:
I've seen some deer this year, running in the woods, or resting, or foraging for acorns. One was a white buck. He looked magical. Buzzards, hawks and herons, and geese migrating. Robins, Blue tits and blackbirds in my garden. A fox running down the middle of the road outside at night.

Coming within 30 feet of a black bear; the low-flying turkey vulture relieving itself; coyotes, bobcats and foxes in my yard. Raccoons fighting in the park.

I fed a bird out of my hand in the 3rd or 4th grade. That felt pretty whimsical. I also saw a mother dear raise her baby in our back yard at our old apartment complex. One day she just had a baby and she took care of him in the woods area. The finally they just left one day when the baby got big enough and I never saw them again.

Way up in the west highlands of Scotland.
Just me and thee most magnificent stag I'd ever laid eyes on.
The scenery didn't come more natural than the west highlands offered either.
awe inspiring.

A murmuration of starlings over the Mersey estuary before roosting.
The sky turned black. A female peregrine falcon picking off her supper from the outer ranks.

Births are on my list of natures wonders.
Messy affairs but incredible non the less.
Witness to a live human infant arriving is quite something.

Most things concerning weather. In particular winds, rain, snow and thunderstorms.
Being in the UK, we have very polite weather. Quite reserved, just like the natives.
Anything other than drizzle and dull is quite a novelty and so extraordinary... by my way of thinking :)

Last edited:
I've spent a great deal of my life in the canadian woods, as a child especially. Was not afraid of wild animals, and maybe I should have been. But none ever attacked me or made me afraid. Even as an adult, because I walk quietly in the woods and I sometimes surprise animals.

I've encountered many black bears, who simply moved away when they saw me.

Two different lynxes at varying times, who stared but remained nearby (one because it was treed by a bear) another out of curiosity.

Had several encounters with wolves in the wild, usually lone wolves who moved away and one who didn't so I charged it with a piece of lit firewood and it ran. Once met a wolf/coyote hybrid who walked up very close. As I was alone, I backed away and dropped a sandwich which it snatched and that gave me time to get away.

Moose and deer many, many times. I once was portaging a canoe and bumped into a young moose. So I put the canoe down and again backed away. It didn't even seem afraid, and it kept going on it's way.

Many more encounters with all kinds of animals too numerous to mention.

I lived on a small acreage for a decade, so lots, uh an echidna ( like porcupine) crossing my driveway as I was driving up it, so they roll into a ball and don't move, so I had to get outta the car, find a stick and push it off the driveway, otherwise I coulda been waiting a long long time.

Had mini bat in the house, thought it was a giant moth (couldnt get a visual focus, it moved too fast) and put a light on in another large room shooed it in and shut the door, coupla days later, I find what looked like a mouse on the floor, seemingly dead, but on closer inspection it was a bat in torpor, absolutely Gorgeous thing. Put it outside in a dark shed with the door open, he left at twilight.

I lived on a small acreage for a decade, so lots, uh an echidna ( like porcupine) crossing my driveway as I was driving up it, so they roll into a ball and don't move, so I had to get outta the car, find a stick and push it off the driveway, otherwise I coulda been waiting a long long time.

I feel like a hockey stick would be handy for when Knuckles gets stubborn.

I forgot about the time I was mugged by a squirrel. Was sitting on a bench with my cousin eating Lunchables. A squirrel came up from behind, snatched one of my crackers and took off.

New Threads

Top Bottom