• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Middle Finger

AustinTheAspie

Just Another Member
Hey guys, happy Saturday morning. Austin here with a random question for the AC community: What do you personally do when someone gives you the middle finger, or disrespects you in any way? I guess everyone reacts differently; but I personally try to ignore it. What's your reaction? And honestly, who invented the middle finger?

I last 'received' the middle finger when some guy in a white van cut my Mum up on a roundabout because they didn't want to wait, only for his mate in the passenger seat to stick up the middle finger to my Mum as if it was her fault.

While it wasn't specifically aimed at me, I did get annoyed but kept calm as there was nothing I could do; my Mum, on the other hand, had a very loud rant in the car despite the fact the people the rant was aimed at couldn't hear it as they'd driven off (something I pointed out to my Mum afterwards).

Bottom line, if someone sticks the middle finger up at me or disrespects me I try not to let it get to me or - when I'm on my own in my house - follow my Mum's example and rant to myself to get it off my chest.

While it wasn't specifically aimed at me, I did get annoyed but kept calm as there was nothing I could do; my Mum, on the other hand, had a very loud rant in the car despite the fact the people the rant was aimed at couldn't hear it as they'd driven off (something I pointed out to my Mum afterwards).

This is me! I frequently rant at other drivers even though I know they can't hear me. It makes me feel better :p I will also give the finger to them if they do it to me first.

If someone were to give me the middle finger, or say something insulting when not driving, it would wholly depend on the situation and who it was who'd said/done something. If it was a bloke or if they looked like they would turn things physical, I'd probably just move along. If it was someone who didn't intimidate me I'd probably give them the finger back. I have said stuff to people who've insulted me before just while out minding my own business.

In all honesty, I can't even remember as an adult being flipped off by much of anyone. Besides, it's just a gesture. Not what I consider a genuine threat worth of a tangible, defensive response.

I've never been given the finger, but I gave it to three (wish it'd been four) customers at my old job. Never got in trouble for it either. :p People don't take me seriously enough to do something blatantly rude, indicating anger, like the finger. They just tease me.

1) Laugh.
2) Smile and give them a thumbs up, or wave.
3) Say, "You've got a fat finger."
4) Say, "You're 9 fingers away from being a 10."

I Almost never do it, except in jest with friends. For some morons, The Gesture serves as their entire vocabulary. So easy to smile at somone showing me that thing in anger, and just wait for them to start feeling stupid, and just keep smiling.

Hey guys, happy Saturday morning. Austin here with a random question for the AC community: What do you personally do when someone gives you the middle finger, or disrespects you in any way? I guess everyone reacts differently; but I personally try to ignore it. What's your reaction? And honestly, who invented the middle finger?
That happens to be my favorite finger, I could use 9 more just like it.
I usually don't notice unless it's so angry or mean I can't miss it.

Or I just don't pay it any attention and then internalize it for the big melt down.

I Almost never do it, except in jest with friends. For some morons, The Gesture serves as their entire vocabulary. So easy to smile at somone showing me that thing in anger, and just wait for them to start feeling stupid, and just keep smiling.

If you're in traffic and you receive the gesture, blowing them a kiss can result in
The anger multiplying by a factor of 100.

(Only do it if you can safely transubtantiate and fly off or get away by some other means)

I was in receipt of this gesture today (yesterday now I guess, am up late). Was cycling on the shoulder of the road when another cyclist came toward me on the same shoulder, wrong side of the road. I said 'In Canada we ride on the right' and got nothing but the finger in reply. There was no motor vehicle there at that moment so it wasn't such a big deal. It bothers me a bit that she can get away with riding like that, but I enjoy that she suffers anger from the incident. I don't.

What is irritating me at the moment is that the ads keep changing as I'm trying to type at the bottom of the page, and the typing goes off the bottom to make room for the ****ing ads. Several times now. Just gave the finger to my computer screen. It doesn't really help, but was somewhat amusing.

I was in receipt of this gesture today (yesterday now I guess, am up late). Was cycling on the shoulder of the road when another cyclist came toward me on the same shoulder, wrong side of the road. I said 'In Canada we ride on the right' and got nothing but the finger in reply. There was no motor vehicle there at that moment so it wasn't such a big deal. It bothers me a bit that she can get away with riding like that, but I enjoy that she suffers anger from the incident. I don't.

What is irritating me at the moment is that the ads keep changing as I'm trying to type at the bottom of the page, and the typing goes off the bottom to make room for the ****ing ads. Several times now. Just gave the finger to my computer screen. It doesn't really help, but was somewhat amusing.

Get an ad blocker and NoScript. Problem solved.

New Threads

Top Bottom