• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The middle-aged guide to actually enjoying Christmas...

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

Remember how Christmas felt when you were a kid? Remember the magic, the excitement, the exotic smells like cloves and orange peel and red wine bubbling away on a hob? Remember how, come December, the world’s backdrop was a big, glowing fire, keeping everyone warm and happy?

It really was the most wonderful time of the year – and then you got older, and everything turned to reindeer turds.

Festive cheer decreases at an inversely proportional rate to age. After 40-plus Christmases, there are simply no surprises left in your stocking, no fun to be had under the mistletoe. Instead, December shakes you mercilessly from start to finish like an angry drunk convinced you stole his shoes. It's a month of stress and shopping – a month tailor made to leave middle-aged you feeling battered and broken. Broken from worrying about getting all of your work done in time. Broken from endlessly discussing which set of in-laws to descend upon. Broken from ferrying numerous children around to bark at elves, or to shout incoherently through carol services.

Somewhere along the line, Christmas lost its magic. A tragedy – and one that can be avoided. It’s time to tear your shirt open and to raise two defiant fingers to the crackling maelstrom overhead. It’s time to shout "Merry Christmas everyone" into the abyss, because this year, you are going to discover your middle-aged festive spirit even if it kills you from alcohol poisoning (always drink responsibly).

STEP 1: Listen to good Christmas music
This year, to save you from the tears, ban Wham!, Slade, and Radio 2 from the home. A Charlie Brown Christmas by the Vince Guaraldi Trio is your new Christmas album of choice. Its gorgeous, jazzy melancholia really seems to understand how you feel at this time of year.

STEP 2: Eat as many Christmas sandwiches as possible
The Christmas sandwich has become a seasonal big hitter on the working lunch circuit, because what better way to get in the festive mood than with an expensive snack from Pret a Manger? Who cares if they're worryingly high in calories – it's Christmas, you're allowed to indulge.
Actually, while we’re at it, isn’t Pret a Manger French for “prepare a manger”? You don't get much more Christmassy than that.

STEP 3: Get your shopping done early
No more silently screaming in department stores, no more standing in the middle of a high street on Christmas Eve breathing into a paper bag. Such an easy step in theory, such a hard ask in practice – but nothing will help you enjoy this Yuletide more.

STEP 4: Only buy tactical presents
In years gone past, you've looked at items in shops and asked yourself 'Would so-and-so appreciate this?' A change of tack is needed. By asking the question 'Will my life be better if I gift this to so-and-so', you'll find Christmas Day's present-giving session to be exciting once again. You'll find you genuinely look forward to your daughter unwrapping her new noise-cancelling over-ear headphones (all the better for listening to Justin Bieber – without subjecting you to it too).
What's that darling? You're not sure you need another iPad?
Oh, OK. Well, I don't have one, so ...

STEP 5: Drink sherry
Remember how your nan would always drink her seasonal sherry from a little glass shaped like a tiny corset and it would remind you of Christmas? It’s time to dust off those old family traditions and update them for a new generation. Try buying a bottle of sherry and drinking it from a bigger glass. See? You're already feeling better.

STEP 6: Do NOT attend the school nativity play
Every year you think it might make you feel festive, but unfortunately there are no cockles to be warmed from watching two thirds of the Three Wise Men crying their eyes out while Mary picks her nose and eats it through a muddled rendition of Little Donkey.
Be genuinely wise, and attempt to De-Scrooge yourself elsewhere this year.

STEP 7: Answer the door to carol singers
When you’re little, carol singers fill you with warm loveliness and excited anticipation. And then you learn about “supply and demand” and the basic rules of capitalism, until eventually you find yourself ducking behind the front door and aggressively shushing your family, convinced that the Glee Club outside is after your money.
This year, take a deep breath, embrace their choral reinterpretations, and allow the Festive Spirit to infect you. Surely worth it for a fiver?

Step 8: Take a child to see Father Christmas
Yes, the fat man with a face that incorporates every shade of red may only be a very loose embodiment of the 4th Century Turkish Bishop St Nicholas, but just look at the sheer joy on your child’s face. Without wanting to get too soppy, that’s genuinely what it’s all about.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Source: The middle-aged guide to actually enjoying Christmas

STEP 1: Listen to good Christmas music
This year, to save you from the tears, ban Wham!, Slade, and Radio 2 from the home. A Charlie Brown Christmas by the Vince Guaraldi Trio is your new Christmas album of choice. Its gorgeous, jazzy melancholia really seems to understand how you feel at this time of year.

Yeah. That's been my official Christmas music for decades. :cool:

Love it :D

I won’t be ripping my shirt open but always enjoy’d that kind of Nativity Play.

One of the best ones I’ve seen was Joseph asking the Inn Keeper about room at the Inn and then informing him/the audience, he needed a poo :D

Love it :D

I won’t be ripping my shirt open but always enjoy’d that kind of Nativity Play.

One of the best ones I’ve seen was Joseph asking the Inn Keeper about room at the Inn and then informing him/the audience, he needed a poo :D

:D That reminds me of a You've Been Framed! clip involving a nativity.

Female Teacher (Narrator): "he said to the angel 'how will we know when the baby will be born?', and the angel said-"
Child: "I want a wee-wee!"
(25:03)

Last edited:
Remember how Christmas felt when you were a kid? Remember the magic, the excitement, the exotic smells like cloves and orange peel and red wine bubbling away on a hob? Remember how, come December, the world’s backdrop was a big, glowing fire, keeping everyone warm and happy?

I remember Christmas as being a time of extreme heightened anxiety. The adults drank more alcohol than usual which often resulted in more fighting.

I don't like/cannot cope very well with suspense or surprises so the run up was really stressful. Knowing that there were (badly hidden) gifts in the house and dealing with why I had to wait, all of the time being told 'you have to be good otherwise Santa won't visit' was so confusing. I found it difficult to cope with the 'lies' about a fictional character visiting the house and effectively breaking into the house to deliver presents. I recall being told off for saying at a very early age that Father Christmas didn't exist, that it was not possible for reindeers to fly pulling a sleigh and a big fat bloke and Christmas presents for the world.

And as for Christmas dinner, jeez, the stress around that was immense!

Somewhere along the line, Christmas lost its magic.

There was never any magic for me to lose. My magic arrived when I had the courage to opt out of it all :)

I remember Christmas as being a time of extreme heightened anxiety. The adults drank more alcohol than usual which often resulted in more fighting.

I don't like/cannot cope very well with suspense or surprises so the run up was really stressful. Knowing that there were (badly hidden) gifts in the house and dealing with why I had to wait, all of the time being told 'you have to be good otherwise Santa won't visit' was so confusing. I found it difficult to cope with the 'lies' about a fictional character visiting the house and effectively breaking into the house to deliver presents. I recall being told off for saying at a very early age that Father Christmas didn't exist, that it was not possible for reindeers to fly pulling a sleigh and a big fat bloke and Christmas presents for the world.

And as for Christmas dinner, jeez, the stress around that was immense!

There was never any magic for me to lose. My magic arrived when I had the courage to opt out of it all :)

That's fair enough and glad you're enjoying Christmas more than you used to at least. As I say, this is one person's guide for enjoying Christmas in your later years - it doesn't necessarily apply to us all.

That's fair enough and glad you're enjoying Christmas more than you used to at least. As I say, this is one person's guide for enjoying Christmas in your later years - it doesn't necessarily apply to us all.

I'm not sure if I'm being berated for posting my experiences, which are contrary to 'The middle-aged guide to actually enjoying Christmas'?

I didn't realise that it was just one person's guide as the title says 'the middle aged guide'.

Did you just want people to reply whose experiences were the same as the original post? This is a genuine question due to my confusion over why, when I post something that's the opposite of the middle aged guide, I'm quoted?

I'm not sure if I'm being berated for posting my experiences, which are contrary to 'The middle-aged guide to actually enjoying Christmas'?

I didn't realise that it was just one person's guide as the title says 'the middle aged guide'.

Did you just want people to reply whose experiences were the same as the original post? This is a genuine question due to my confusion over why, when I post something that's the opposite of the middle aged guide, I'm quoted?

I wasn't berating you, no. Apologies that it came off that way.

As for why I posted it, I was just curious to see what you guys thought.

New Threads

Top Bottom