• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The loss of an old friend.

Outdated

I'm from the other end of the spectrum.
V.I.P Member
The end of an era. I just had a phone call from my property manager, I’m not allowed to have my little gas stove any more. Having a gas bottle is against safety regulations.

That little stove has saved me so much money over the years. Being very cheap to run is only part of the story, the fact that it was so cheap encouraged me to cook more. I used the little oven all the time, even made all my own pastry. No more.

And I’ll have to go shopping for an electric kettle and a coffee plunger, the old fashioned stove top percolator is an expensive way to make coffee on an electric stove.

So on Saturday morning I’ll put my dear old friend out on the footpath and watch strangers take it away. And if that thieving mongrel from unit 5 grabs it I’ll let the property manager know and she can tell him he’s not allowed to have it either.

Aahhh…. Such is life.

It's not the hardware itself that I'll miss, it's the life style change that I'm not looking forward to. Seems a bit silly to heat up a full sized oven just to cook for one person.

Just another aspect of our modern wasteful society.

Air Fryer, they heat up real fast, and cook anything. They have timers on them and plug into the electrical. You can throw parchment paper underneath if you have something sticky. Sorry about your stove. It's hard to accept change but at least your building will be safer. You can't use to much oil in air fryer because of fire hazards. I tried sweet potato chips, super crunchy. Also made French fries in it. You can cook meat in it also. But l have a very nice toaster oven that sits on my counter that is my favorite. It grills also. I have it sitting on a metal rack so that my counter top doesn't melt.

Last edited:
Can you not just keep it, is there a balcony or some such to use it on? Shame to let go of such a useful friend.
Portable gas stoves and barbecues both have a similar fire exposure on a balcony. Where with enough combustion load and oxygenation/wind flames can reach the roof above. And at that point the fire can spread much faster from one unit to another.

I know in the complex I reside in that property managers are always keen to observe everything they see on a tenant's balcony. There's always a new tenant who ignores their lease terms and places a barbecue device on the balcony, and management always catches up with them soon enough.

The bottom line is to forget using portable devices that inherently create open flames. An exposure almost universally considered prohibitive in multi-unit living conditions.

Last edited:
@Judge very valid point, was not thinking of apartments overhead.. just a shame though because I remember the feeling of those old stoves.. still anxious to get back to that simpler living when further up North and farther off-grid.. appreciate the convenience of the appliances we have and use, but agreed in how wasteful and unnecessary..

Eventually.. I hope you find a decent compromise that still suits your needs but isn’t in excess of, like the aforementioned air fryers and toaster ovens even.

I knew all along that I was breaking the rules, and I knew that it wouldn't last forever. But being autistic I also knew that my ingrained habits were a far better safety control than a blanket ban. I never trusted any device to hold gas pressure and always turned gas off at the bottle when I finished using it. I also fried very rarely, I made soups and stews and used the oven a lot. Pretty much the only thing I ever used a fry pan for was stuffed mushrooms.

Previous property managers knew I had the stove there, it even appears in their photos they take during regular inspections, but as I had already predicted I eventually ended up with a completely neurally average manager and she just had to go and ask questions.

Such is life. I'm sure I'll get over it, I always do. :)

Keep the stove, get rid of the gas bottle. Eventually if things get worse, the rules won't matter but your stove will be a lot more useful.

Why do you think I have kerosene lamps--it all comes in handy with disasters.

Looks like I'll have to keep the little stove for a week longer.

The thought of going shopping wasn't very attractive to me. It's school holidays and there'll be crowds everywhere, and it's cold outside.

Ordered a coffee plunger from ebay, should arrive early next week.

In LA, l had to supply the fridge for the apartment. I just bought a little one, and did just fine. I knew l was moving out of the state. Never bought a TV. Didn't have any furniture except 2 chairs. I just shipped 20 boxes and my car to Florida. Bought a airline ticket. Easiest move l ever made. Lol. We really don't need much. Maybe keep the stove, get rid of the gas bottle. And at some point you may use it again.

you can drink cold instant coffee (powder) with tap water. that´s the cheapeast and easiest way to make coffee.

you can even make tea with cold water, it just needs more time than with hot water.

everyone says that´s ugly, but I don´t think so. I drank it my own for a couple of months lol.

you can drink cold instant coffee.....

Unfortunately I'm a little spoilt, I love real coffee. It's also half the price of the instant rubbish.

Aaarrgghhh.

Update:

I got rid of my little stove last week but today was the first time I tried to use the household electric stove.

It doesn't work, no power.

So I've got a pan full of cold water and potatoes sitting on the stove and I've just ordered take away.

My property manager's going to love this, they fitted a whole new kitchen for me last year but this is the first time I've ever tried using the stove. I bet it's warranty has run out by now, thankfully I'm not the one who'll have to pay to sort it out.

Circuit breaker off to the kitchen ?

First thing I checked. Even pressed it's little test button to make itself trip out, the test button works fine but nothing else does.

Such is life. I can get around without it just fine for a while but it's really not helping me adapt to a change.

Your test shows it has a supply in order to hold "on" and trip "off". ( we call it an rcd here or sometimes an rcbo)

So that's odd, there's a power loss somewhere on the way to the kitchen sockets.

Hope that they sort it soon for you.

It doesn't work, no power.
And now I feel really dumb.

I decided to clear my kitchen benchtop so there's easy access for the maintenance people, and I noticed a new switch on the wall that I've never seen before. It's marked "Cooktop".

I have never in my life before seen a switch on a wall for turning off a stove, but there you have it. Probably some new nanny state health and safety regulation.

The new stove works perfectly and I don't have to make any phone calls.

I was called to an office, all the way on the ferry to the isle of Wight .
£70 fee alone for that journey in my van if I remember correctly.
This was around 2010.

Office building , "microwave oven is dead"
The cleaner had pushed it back and inadvertently knocked off the fixed spur switch behind it on the wall.

I switched it back on , no tools to get out that day :cool:

New Threads

Top Bottom