• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Link between Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) and Autism

Eric the NNT

As I try to better understand my Autism spectrum disorder and overcome its effects on my functioning within normal society, my review of the matter has revealed significant similarities between the symptoms of excess CSF buildup seen in traumatic brain injury and autism.

Sensory over excitabilities, headaches, coordination problems, inflammation, etc. all strongly suggest that more study of CSF flow needs to be done to test this possible link. I wonder how often arachnoid cysts are found in the autistic brain, such as mine, that could affect the drainage of the glymphatic system.

Regulation of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) flow in neurodegenerative, neurovascular and neuroinflammatory disease

Cerebrospinal fluid and the early brain development of autism. - PubMed - NCBI

Error - Cookies Turned Off

Since the CSF was only recently discovered to take nutrients to brain tissue and remove the resultant waste products, it would seem that anything preventing this flow would create problems. The inability of the CSF to move at the same rate of a neurotypical brain could suggest the cause of executive level dysfunction, such as the inability to adapt to changing conditions.

Perhaps the typical autistic trait of hair pulling helps the movement of fluid and Dr. John E. Upledger's work was on to something.

Last edited:
I went to a lumbar puncture when I had Lymphoma and they analysed my CSF to see if I have Lymphoma cells inside. Everything was ok. So, it didn't different from neurotypicals. If autism could be seen this way, they would be doing lumbar puncture to diagnose ASD instead of psychological evaluation.

What we do know about autism is that the neuro-anatomical changes begin in utero. Around 20 weeks gestation is when the brain begins its transition from a "simple" brain to a "complex" brain. Neurons begin to migrate outward from the germinal matrix surrounding the thalamus, find their way out to the cortex, differentiate into functional units, etc. There is evidence of abnormal cell migration, there is evidence of neuronal structural abnormalities (too many and too little synaptic connections), and the differentiation of functional units between the lobes may be abnormal. Now throw in the hundreds of genetic markers for autism. Throw in the hormonal milieu (vitamin D, insulin, testosterone, estrogen, etc.). Then the abnormal "pruning" of synaptic connections (apoptosis) that occurs between 1 and 3 years of age,...about the time when most concerned parents and pediatricians begin to see potentially obvious signs and symptoms. What you will find is a multi-factoral condition we call autism. There are plenty of "associated" findings in the medical literature, but only a few of these are followed up upon with further studies to demonstrate a "causal" relationship.

New Threads

Top Bottom