• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The life of a loner (at Christmas)

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Just reflecting on my Christmas (in general), I've said it on here lots before that I'm a loner (have never been married or had children into my late 40's)

Of course Christmas was very different for all of us this year, with different levels of social restrictions, for Christmas Day I headed off to a local park with my camera, where there is an active outdoor ice skating rink, we have relatively few restrictions compared to some places in the world

People gathered, I walked around on my own for about two hours, taking photos and just enjoying fresh air, and people watching.

As a single person, usually walking around on my own, I will observe everything from couples to families with children, other single people, etc...

And my conclusion, not that it's anything new to me, I really love people watching, likely why I'm not that drawn to nature, at least nature all the time... And I get a thrill from people related photography, even at the outdoor skating rink, be it candid or a stranger portrait... And I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be in one of those families, I love people watching (I said it again), and I generally find that I get my best photos when I'm on my own just cruising around...

Yes, I do know it can also be beneficial to be in relationship, but that's another post for another time...

Last edited:
It is good to have enough resources to be a loner when you want to be. Many people are forced to be loners around people which is very tricky.

Xmas is all centered around family and such. To be alone at Christmas is fine, it's other people that make a big deal about it. If you spend it with someone, that's great too. But don't guilt trip yourself about this. You can always volunteer with a soup kitchen, visit someone in a retirement home, or help take pictures at sometime of nonprofit event. Don't limit your creativity just because of being alone.

Xmas is all centered around family and such. To be alone at Christmas is fine, it's other people that make a big deal about it. If you spend it with someone, that's great too. But don't guilt trip yourself about this. You can always volunteer with a soup kitchen, visit someone in a retirement home, or help take pictures at sometime of nonprofit event. Don't limit your creativity just because of being alone.

I'm not trying to guilt myself, just saying how I feel, and it's just fine...

I probably spent a good ten years all alone for Christmas. I handled it by intentionally being as alone as I could possibly be. I could have sought out people to be with but that would have made me seem like I was needy. I needed to affirm to myself that being alone could be a good thing.

I avoid people at xmas, they're often highly stressed - the murder rate soars at this time of year.

New Threads

Top Bottom